main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Final Duel, ROTJ [The Dark Side Beckons]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by AAMD11, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I find that track so awesome, just to think that the emperor is watching father and son duel. Very touching track.

GK edit: Title

2. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    Best track of the CD IMHO :)...

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah it's up there with the best. Now if we could only get one with better sound quality and less tape hiss.

4. AAMD11

Jun 13, 2002
    Its more of a sentimental track for me, But my favourite track of all would be Zam the Assasin and the Chase on Corusant :)

5. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I love several parts.

-When Vader is getting relatively ticked off at Luke and says, "If you will not fight, they you will meet your destiny!" The Emperor's Theme swells up as Palpatine cackles in the background. Great stuff.

-"The Dark Side Beckons". Need I say more? :D

-When Vader is looking between Luke and the Emperor and Palpatine is electrocuting Luke.... [face_shocked] It's chilling.

6. AAMD11

Jun 13, 2002
    I just like the part when Luke and Vader are fighting,right before Vader gets his hand choped off. Very awesome part, touching, setimental, graceus. I love it.

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    That is, "The Dark Side Beckons". We love it around here. :D

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm gonna watch it tonight. Yes, that is my favorite part of the entire saga. It's amazing how Vader manages to look suprised even with his mask on..and then Luke's pure rage.
    That scene is very addictive.

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "It's amazing how Vader manages to look suprised even with his mask on."

That's why I love this whole scene. It's basically the only scene in the whole saga where Vader shows emotion. You can see his suprise and fear as Luke charges out of hiding in an insane furry, and you can feel the conflict in him as he decides between his son or the Emperor while Luke is being shocked. It's amazing what that mask can do.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I've still got no idea how Vader's feelings print through an inanimate object so eaily. You can *see* how suprised and afraid he is when Luke charges him, and you can *see* the conflict between saving his son..or betraying his Master. It's great!

11. AAMD11

Jun 13, 2002
    Thats a great scene, that track makes it sooo powerful its great. I feel sorry for the Emperor when Vader picks him up, his scream is probably the ONLY scene with the Emperor showing emotion, and thats what makes me feel sorry for him, dont know I just do.

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    You feel sorry for the Emperor? [face_shocked]

I feel sorry for Vader, not Palpatine.

13. Rowland

Rowland Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    That is my favorite bit of music in all of Star Wars. I pray we hear it in Episode III.

14. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Ah! NO! Enough copied music! I'll go for something *like* it- choir and synthesizer, but NOT "The Dark Side Beckons". I do NOT want a piece of music so special to be used in any other instance.

Sorry, I have to defend this beautiful work of art.

15. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    The whole final duel is the highlight of all 6 episodes. The music captures the emotions of Luke and Vader perfectly. It's brilliant!! :D

16. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I love the moving camera as it slides past the wreckage Vader has caused in their duel as Luke drives Vader back under a deluge of blows.

...I want to go watch it. :D

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    That is my favorite bit of music in all of Star Wars. I pray we hear it in Episode III.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

This "theme" does not need to appear ANYWHERE else. It is so amazing and it fits ONLY there. It is father and son ONLY. It should not be turned into a motif that is used for Ep 3.

18. AAMD11

Jun 13, 2002
    Sithman well I dont know why I feel sorry for the Emperor, maybe its the way he screams I dont know I just felt sorry for him, choosing the easy way, the evil way. I wonder what was going thru his mind when he was pickd up and thrown.

19. Fat_Fett

Fat_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2001
    Yea, poor Palpy. :p He chose the evil, easy way because he wanted power, and that is what he got.

Back on subject...

Yes, the piece is totally fantastic - I love the trumpet in the Emperor's theme as he electrocutes Luke.

Is their a name for the piece where the male choir is oohing and aahing right before Vader plays "Toss the Emperor"?

20. AAMD11

Jun 13, 2002
    Yeah its called Final Duel thats what I have been talking about :) I love that musical number, very powerful.

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    stri- you fool! Didn't you read what I read? I said the same thing! Now you make me look dumb!

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Wish to hell I had an MP3 or Realfile of that music. The entire scene is great, especially how Luke is cloaked in shadow for most of it. Tons of symbolism.

23. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Mark: "Looks sorta Vaderish."

George: "That's the idea."

:D Yup, symbolism. :D

24. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    When ROTJ debuted in 1983, the OS was released as a single album by RSO (Robert Stingy-wood Organization), whereas ANH & ESB were double sets.

And can you believe they left off the greatest, most important JW composition of the entire trilogy (what we now know as The Dark Side Beckons)?!! I was more than beside myself. They did offer a 2:41 lopped-off piece called "The Emperor" which cues up the theme after "So be it, Jedi." (The Emperor's Death on the SE cd).

Needless to say, I soon wore out this groove in the vinyl. How incredibly frustrating it was to attempt to watch the film "in my mind" without this essential cue. When I finally got a tape, I would often fast-forward to this scene just for the music. As cool as that was, there's just something unique in being absorbed by only the music.

The SE cds are the most valued in my collection!

Sithman: Congrats on your licensure! Enjoy your day, my young driving apprentice.

25. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I pray we hear it in Episode III.

Hmmmm....Even *if* I was not philosophically opposed to that, I cannot imagine a possible scene where it would fit. Episode III's ending will be heading in a different direction from ROTJ, methinks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.