Final Duel, ROTJ [The Dark Side Beckons]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by AAMD11, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. JabbasHutt Jedi Padawan

Good song it is, but Funeral Prye for a Jedi is the best.
  2. Darth_Silenous Jedi Master

star 4
    What? Well, I mean, I like Funeral Pyre, but next to a Dark Side Beckons...umm...

DSB is so strong - the sheer power of the choir, combined with (for lack of better words) that absolutely tragic string line and the emotion of the scene - really, incredibly moving stuff. FP is beautiful and poignant, but I have trouble recalling anything beside DSB having such an effect on me that I have trouble breathing while listening to it (I'm serious). I guess I'm just trying to say that, in my very humble opinion, that DSB is UNSURPASSABLE.................

3. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope they use "the dark side beckons" in one of the EP3 trailers.
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    stri- you fool! Didn't you read what I read? I said the same thing! Now you make me look dumb!

Dude where in my post did I say anything about you? I was responding to the person I quoted, not you.
  5. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Sithy- you fool! Didn't you read what you wrote? You said the same thing! Now you make yourself look dumb!

Alas, everyone looks dumb compared to internet-man. :(
  6. darth_brutus Jedi Master

star 4
    The part where Luke charges at vader until he chops off his hand, that part has to be my absolute favourite piece of music out of all the music. It was so powerful and emotional. (Come to think of it, it made the perfect score for the final level of Jedi Knight 2.)
    It should not be played in Ep III, it should be saved for the very end. (I also love the build up of the choir just as Vader is deciding to save his son ;) )
  7. Darth_Silenous Jedi Master

star 4
    That's The Dark Side Beckons . Wonderful stuff, isn't it?
  8. MasterWiz Jedi Youngling

I was just watching ROTJ last night and realised for the first time how good and touching this particular piece of music was.
  9. darth_brutus Jedi Master

star 4
    I heard it on Jedi Knight II then noticed it in the movie for the first time in the movie afterwards.
  10. MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling

star 2
    That track is PERFECTLY done. My favorite part is about 15 seconds before Anakin's hand is cut off (AGAIN! LOL, erm sorry) when Luke is advancing on Vader and he's in the retreat. The music at that point really evokes a lot of pathos out of the audience for vader. It's a very sad part. Amazing how the right music can make a scene that a misguided viewer might cheer during ("yeah luke, kick some vader ass!") something very somber and pathetic. (not the normal use of pathetic)
  11. melbatoast Jedi Knight

That piece of music is one of my favorite of Williams and all soundtracks!!! I hope (but am pretty positive) that WIlliams will compose something just as powerful and tragic for EP3. But, I agree with many of you: that piece should and can only be reserved for ROTJ. It is truly perfect for what is taking place onscreen. I mean, I hear that song and have to play that scene when I get home! I also love visualizing what's going on on screen when I listen to it! Great great stuff!!! I'm glad there is a thread dedicated to just this piece!
  12. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Wow! What a great time to up a great thread! I just finished watching ROTJ! :)

As I was watching all the Vader/Luke/Emperor scenes, I was hit by the gravity of them all. There is simply so much power in all of them. The lines, the emotions, the way you can almost *see* Vader's emotions behind the mask. Wow.

Actually, as Luke was dragging Vader to the shuttle and then drops him, exausted, onto the boarding ramp, I thought of Sil's vignette on Vader and Luke. Wow, it made that scene a lot more powerful.

Anyways, the music is amazing. I almost like the point where Vader says, "If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny!" and flings his lightsaber at Luke, Emperor's Theme blaring and the Emperor himself cackling in the background.

Wow. :)
  13. DarthBaconBarm Jedi Padawan

On the ROTJ SE cd, track 7, 8.49, there is a high 3 note motif that is played which I can't help but find very reminiscent of the first 3 notes in the melody of ATS.
    Now I know that the interval between the first 2 notes in the ROTJ version is smaller than the first 2 notes in ATS which will instantly make some people not even consider this idea but to me that's why the motif works so well, it's because the intervals in the melody are diminishing, making this thing that sounds like the love theme sound more distorted and more physically painful.
    During the movie this motif occurs when we see the shot of Vader looking at Luke just before he picks up the Emperor.
    So now watching that part of the movie and hearing what to me is a strain of the love theme makes the whole scene a thousand times more emotional.
    This is all just based on my thoughts that while inventing that themes for the PT, john williams spent some time listening to lots of melodic ideas from the OT that were never fully explored to use as the foundations of bigger themes in the PT.
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Thats so cool that something new can give you new insight and add impact to the existing films. Wow that's really awesome.

15. Jedi_Katsushiro Jedi Master

star 2
    In my opinoin each score in every scene of every starwars movie is kind of unique becuase the music not only defines the sceen but sets the mood too.

In my opinion, I believe that we are going to hear something simular kind of music for epi III but it will also be very different becuase of mood, conflict, sceen and more. I am personally looking forward on how the music here will fit the sceen. I hope they do a good job, john williams has not let us down yet. ;)
  16. TenorAprentice Jedi Master

star 4
    Not to kill the connection, because I am sure that it was used as imspiration for the love theme, but...

neat thoughts. The 3 note motive that you hear is the first note, a leap up of a perfect 4th, and a drop to end a major 2nd (or a whole step) from where you started. Now, in the anthology, the track called Luke and Leia starts with flutes playing those 3 notes in that progression. Not only that, but in the L&L theme itself, the last 3 notes of the first phrase are the same intervals (but in a different order, 2,3,1). I don't have my keyboard with me, so I can't tell if they are the same key, but that is probably where JW originally got the motive from....which supplies cool subtext, that in the critical moment, it was care for his children that was going through his head.
  17. DarthBaconBarm Jedi Padawan

That's probably why we all hold JW so dear to our hearts, his subtle ability to implant these wonderful little motifs inside our minds, evoking almost involuntary emotional responses.
  18. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  19. rogue-mattx Jedi Knight

star 1
    Dark Side Beckons is without a doubt my favorite cue in the entire saga. There's such a wonderful buildup, a slow brooding, and then a spike in the music, an attack, an unleashing of anger followed by a flurry of emotion. Every time I listen to the track I'm reminded of the legendary struggle between good and evil, the struggle for redemption, the struggle for peace - all characterized in the epic father/son duel.

I tear up every time I listen to the track :(
  20. Antilles58 TFNInteractive Games Programmer

VIP
    star 3
    **SPOILERS (highlight to read) **

The fact that this moment between Luke and Palpatine so closely mirrors what Anakin has to decide between Mace and Palpatine in Episode III is just going to add even more power to the scene and the music. We'll be like "Ani's been here before, what's he going to do this time?" Also on a slightly different note, Luke has hte opportunity to kill Vader in cold blood and rejects it, whereas Anakin had the chance to kill Dooku in cold blood and takes it. Interesting parallelism, GL has done a fantastic job. I can only imagine how good the music will be at those two moments in E3 :)
  21. DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The moment of Luke's final charge against Darth Vader in ROTJ was actually slightly altered from the original version to the Special Edition.

The moment when Luke has knocked Vader down and is HACKING away at him, AGAIN and AGAIN, the choir fades and some horns kick in. Originally, the horns kicked in very high-pitched and very loudly. For the SE, they slightly deepened the horns and also quieted them. This was done presumably because the transition in the music was too extreme and discombobulated. It just didn't switch smoothly enough.

And even though I'm annoyed to be constantly told by LFL that my last version of SW was a fake and that I need to by this newer version if I'm to see the REAL Star Wars, I actually liked this change.
  22. JediMasterRonoc Jedi Master

star 3
    this is my favorite track in the entire saga. i love listening to it just to relax. i hope it's encorporated into the mace vs. palps duel in ROTS. it'll mirror luke's decision to stay on the light side w/ anakins decision for the dark side
  23. LordSilvertouch Jedi Master

star 4
    I do hope that Battle of the Heroes is a similar piece of music because it would be a good reflection on the character and it would ensure that it'd be a successful theme. However, i don't want Dark Side Beckons as it is to be transplanted somewhere else.

God i need that on a CD or something.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.