VIDEO Final Fantasy Saga

Discussion in 'Games' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Asterix_of_Gaul Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok, not doing mission 27. So I went all the way to the boss of chapter eleven, whooped his ass, and now have headed back to the steppe. I was finally able to beat the juggernaut in the mine, but...no stars :(.

I've been leveling up weapons, and have discovered the lionheart vs. axis blade argument. I don't have the lionheart, but I have a level 60 Flamberge and a star level Enkindler. I'm trying the Enkindler coupled with auto-haste for now. It looks like, Lightning can chain Army of One pretty rapidly with this combination, which is nice for tough foes.

I'm wondering if it's even possible to attack an adamantoise yet---since I now have the death spell. If I move on to chapter 12, will I be able to return to the steppe?
  2. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    They're both good, but I personally upgraded the Hautclare. Why? It has the Random: Instant Chain synthesized ability, which is really nice. Plus it has well-balanced stats. The only drawback is that it has Stagger Lock.

Yes. You just summon (which automatically disables the adamantoise), put on as many debuffs as you can, and spam Death. And you can return to the steppe after chapter 12. In fact, I'd recommend continuing with the story.
  3. son_of_the_tear Force Ghost

star 5
    Got 4 million gil saved up from selling ignots... and have at least one ultimate weapon for each character :)

I'm so close to my plat trophy I can smell it. Just need 5 Dark Matters for 4 accessories and one weapons, and then buy all those pricey weapons from Gilgamesh Inc. and then upgrade them to at least tier 2 and the Treasure Hunter trophy will be mine!

Well, then I have to beat a Long Gui for that trophy... so far he kicks my ass. I come close though. Again, I use the Van Death trick by switching to COM for the damage boost and keeping him poisoned... but the bastard keeps standing up when he is down to 20 percent life, and this destroying my party.
  4. Asterix_of_Gaul Force Ghost

star 5
    I must have really bad luck, because I've killed well over 20 adamantoises and only received one platinum ingot...

Vanille has a collector's book equiped,

Gimme my ingots!!!!
  5. son_of_the_tear Force Ghost

star 5
    Other way around for me. Took me a while to get the traps. And I got my last one off the first kill of a Long Gui, as with the catalog, it has 25 percent drop rate. I just need two more dark matters and to finish getting weapons to T2. I'm down to 1.4 million from 4.3 million just upgrading weapons and accessories :(
  6. Asterix_of_Gaul Force Ghost

star 5
    K, so, after killing around 40 of these or more, I got 3 ingots, and one trap.

So, not too shabby (now that I actually got one trap). I haven't beaten the game yet, and I'm contemplating how much more I want to upgrade before facing Orphan. I'm sort of disappointed that I can't reach level 5 until after beating the game, seems a shame.

Also, I wish I could save paradigm configurations for different groups of characters, instead of having to customize every time I switch party members. I hope this is something they fix in the future (if they keep a similar battle system come XIII versus)
  7. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I would go ahead and finish the game. You don't really need upgraded stuff to beat it. In fact you can do it with tier 1 weapons. The big thing is having your crystarium pretty high.

The same thing was happening to me, until I figured out it boiled down to two things:

1. Getting the most out of poison. Remember he can't stand up as long as your eidolon is out. This goes for robot and Ghestalt mode. In Ghestalt mode, use nothing but the chain guns (least cost). And wait for the timer to count down til the last possible second til you activate them. It will keep Hechaton out longer, thus making the most use of poison.

2. Quite simply being faster about shifting paradigms (ie squeezing in as many Deaths as possible). I kept my SAB and Cerberus paradigms right next to each other, so I could shift faster.
  8. son_of_the_tear Force Ghost

star 5
    Beat him :) And I have the smaller Gui's on farm :)

So I have every single damn trophy except treasure hunter. I got a T3 for every character, have all their other weapons at T2. I upgraded all my accessories, followed a list to see what transmutes I would need that you cannot buy in shops, etc, etc. I did this all without saving since I was blowing all my gil, then selling off already upgraded items for more gil (since it still counts if you sell it, just as long as you had it).... 3 hours later I go to Oerba... and no trophy!

I have no idea what the hell I missed! I am so so so so so so pissed. I thought I had everything :( I'm stuck.
  9. son_of_the_tear Force Ghost

star 5
    And got my Platinum Trophy!

Went to an FAQ and slowly went down my accessories list. There were two accessories I forgot to upgrade. Finally got it and blew almost all my money. Luckily I made two saves. One, which was my last one and this one, which was in which I blew all my gil upgrading for the trophy.
  10. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Congrats!

That's a pain-in-the-butt platinum to get, mostly because of the treasure hunter trophy.
  11. son_of_the_tear Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, it was. Honestly, most of the trophies were pretty easy except for two. Because for the rest, you can get them playing the game, doing missions, and or attempting to beat your score so you can get a 5 star rating, which again, is fun.

The Treasure Hunter trophy was a pain in the ass, because it requires non stop grind for ingots so you can make gil and on top of that, while I know it is impossible to miss a treasure only item in the game unless you sell it before you upgrade it, there are so many accessories that it is hard to keep track. This game would have benefited from a datalog for items, kind of like we have for enemies. Look at me. I wasted so many hours and hours re-loading saves and then when I finally caved and looked at an FAQ, I saw that there was one ring and a belt I forgot to upgrade.

The other pain in the ass is maxing out your characters, because again, it was a long grind. Maxing out each ones three main jobs was easy enough, but the non main job roles were ridiculously expensive and it took countless turtle farms to max them out.

All in all, I'm glad I made two saves, that way I can reload and spend that gil instead on maxing out my three main characters T3 weapons and my kaiser gloves and magical crests. I mean, Square says it is an unsure possibility, but if there is DLC, it will serve me well.

This, btw, is my first Platinum Trophy :)

I'm was really close to getting a Platinum in Dragon Age, as I'm two trophies away, but that requires me to play through the whole game two more times so I can get Rogue and Mage class to level 20 - and no offense, but as much as I enjoyed Dragon Age, I cannot bring myself to grind for two more play throughs - especially with the DLC and expansion for my already existing character.

While Treasure Hunter and Master's Seal were time sinks, Dragon Age's requirements go beyond time sink. It's sadistic.

That is one thing I do not like. Example, I got almost all the trophies in Uncharted 2... but I don't want to play through the game in every difficulty for the trophy. I want the trophies to be able to be earned in your original play through on the setting the game was designed and meant to be played by doing challenges presented to you in the game - which is what Final Fantasy 13 offered. It was tough to get the Platinum, but I was glad that it wasn't a case where it forced me to start all over from scratch.

Although, I will replay the game as I usually do with FF games in a couple of months. Just wish there was a new game plus option so I feel all my hard work was not just for bragging rights :(
  12. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Shouldn't you only have to play through UC twice (Hard and Crushing) to get everything? I bet that doesn't take as much time as the farming you just did. :p
  13. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I'm playing FFVIII from the beginning again, and this time I'm drawing as much magic as I can from everything. I need to find somewhere that sells potions thought so I don't have to use my hard earned Cures. I guess I could just give everyone 100 cures, but that's a lot of Drawing.
  14. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
  15. captain-fantastic Jedi Master

star 4
    These might sound like stupid questions. Nevertheless:

1. Has there been/will there be any E3 news about FF Versus XIII or Agito XIII?

2. How did Squenix handle FF XI? Were there monthly subscriptions, and if so how much? I ask because I assume FF XIV will be similar, and I have already made the determination that if I don't have to pay monthly to play, I will give it a shot. If I do, however, have to pay Squenix a monthly tribute, they can shove the game back up their moneybags.

As a side note, I hate MMOs. With a passion. I believe them to be nothing more than glorified money grabs. I am more than a little displeased that now two entries in the Final Fantasy series proper are MMOs. If Squenix wants to cash in on MMOs, fine, but for God's sake leave the main series alone. Make a proper FF XIV, and then extend the universe by making an MMO that takes place in the same world at a different time. That makes more sense to me, and would make me happier.
  16. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    1. No news unfortunately. Usually with these things, they reserve news for the TGS anyway.

2. Yes, monthly subscriptions for FFXI. $12.95 a month for your first character, with an additional $1 per month for each additional character. SE will prolly handle FFXIV in a similar way. On the plus side, there will most likely be a free trial for a month (at least there was with FFXI). So you can at least have a little fun with it.

MMOs are indeed money grabbers. They are designed to keep you addicted. At least FFXI was, with its social interactivity, tons of gear, low drop rates, and lots of xp needed to level. In FFXI's defense tho, as a longtime FFXI player, I do have to say that the story was better than maybe half the FF games (FFI, FFII, FFIII, FFV, FFIX, FFXII namely). But I also agree with you that they should leave the main series alone, and let the online games be a spinoff. As much as I played FFXI, I agree with that point. Or, at the least, they could make it like PSO and PSU where it has offline and online elements. On that note, I wish they would make an offline version of FFXI. It would take some tweaks, but it would be fun.
  17. divinerose Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm in chapter 13 of FFXIII, and I've really been loving the game, even if the second fight against the Proudclad set me back an entire day because I just could not beat it, no matter what I did. Some serious party rearrangement was needed. :p

Now I'm back to doing the missions, and am currently on my way to stone 30.
  18. captain-fantastic Jedi Master

star 4

My thinking is this: I have a hard time getting into MMOs because the stories are typically weaker. Sure, there is an overall narrative, but it sort of dissipates the longer it goes, and it NEVER reaches a conclusion. In order to keep my interest, I have to know the game is building to something, and I have to be invested in the characters and their eventual fates.

I say all that to say that a better way to get someone like me to play an MMO is to set in a world I already have a connection to, sort of like they are attempting with The Old Republic. Make the offline version of FF XIV, get me invested in that world and then give me the option to continue to play there through an MMO. Those are just my thoughts, though. I suppose the guys at Squenix don't belive that a FF MMO outside of the main series can succeed.
  19. Cyrax86 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Very disappointing how Square-Enix at E3 was centered around Kingdom Hearts. I really don't see why they are pushing this franchise as if it was as loved as FF. Yeah I know they are cashing in on the kids but still, Square is just a shadow of its former self lately.
  20. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    More on Versus XIII will be revealed at the TGS:

Some screenshots:

[image=http://i46.tinypic.com/34gwokp.jpg]

[image=http://i45.tinypic.com/2eg76dl.jpg]

Combat system will supposedly be like Crisis Core. I'm not too thrilled about that, but its okay. Minus the mission system, CC was a pretty good game.
  21. Winged_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, all companies rise and fall. Even the likes of Bioware and Rockstar will fade away one day.

Don't underestimate Square though, and particularly not Kingdom Hearts. It may not be quite as loved as FF yet, but it's only had two 'main' entries. And as for 'cashing in on the kids', sure it has appeal to a younger audience, but the complexity of the gameplay mechanics and the deeper elements of the story are obviously geared towards an older audience.
  22. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Nonsense.

As for Kingdom Hearts, even I'm starting to lose interest. Square's taken way too long to announce a proper third entry while wasting time with a bunch of sub-par spinoffs and ports. Not impressed with the way they're handling the franchise. Not impressed at all.
  23. Winged_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    It may not come until we are old men, navigating historical simulacrums of the antiquated 'internet' via an immersive holographic 3D interface, but rest assured that one day, one day, I'm going to find this post and send it back to you with a 'told you so' attached. :p

As for Kingdom Hearts, that's a harsh assessment of the spinoffs. I'm also keen for them to start with the KH3 stuff already, but I'm also very much looking forward to getting my hands on Birth by Sleep.
  24. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    And then I will shove my brand new digital copy of Grand Theft Auto XVI in your lifelike avatar's face!

Regarding the spinoffs... I was actually pretty addicted to Chain of Memories back when it came out on the GBA. However, 358/2 Days was a massive disappointment as it just felt like a really long chore and the days couldn't count up fast enough. Then there are the mobile games I never played, the PS2 port of CoM that I played for five minutes, and even though Birth By Sleep looks great, I can't help wishing it was coming out on a current console rather than an irrelevant portable that I have no intention of ever owning (but my friend fortunately does). Nomura says these games are to tie up loose ends, but it seems like spinoffs keep coming out to tie up loose ends that were created in a different spinoff. The storyline of the main two is simple enough. It just feels like Square is milking the franchise dry, and I'm worried that by the time Kingdom Hearts 3 is announced I just won't care as much as I would have a few years ago.
  25. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I've just had a fantastic email about Final Fantasy Agito XIII! [face_dancing]
    [face_dancing]

The release date, however, is 25/03/2011 so there's a long way to wait for it. D: