main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Final Fantasy Saga (FF7 Rebirth Spoilers TAGGED)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    1) I stopped playing FFXII on chapter 4. Should I continue or just say * it? Inspire me if I should...

2) FFXIII is an MMORPG like FFXI right?

3) Any info on FF Verses XIII? Nevermind this one.

4) Any news on FFVII remake for PS3?

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    1) I stopped playing the game early, simply because too many good games were coming out at the time and I was having a difficult time following the complex narrative amongst them all. Had nothing to do with the quality of it, which was great from what I did play.

2) No, XIII is a single-player game. XIV will be an MMO and releases on September 30th of this year on the PC and in March of next year on the PS3 (will not be on the 360 like its predecessor).

4) It doesn't officially exist.

3. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

1) I stop playing because I wasn't having fun.
    2) Sorry I meant FFIX not FFXIII, so thanks for picking up on that.
    4) I read on kotaku that back in March of 2010, CEO Yoichi Wada revealed that they are exploring the possibility of a remake, following the high demand. I guess nothing was said about it at E3, huh?

4. captain-fantastic

captain-fantastic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2007
    I read a while back that they were exploring the possibility, and that if they could develop a worthy remake of VII in the span of a year, they would do it. I think it might have been in the same article you read, Tony. Most people think that such a feat is impossible, but don't think Square doesn't know of the potential moneystorm that would occur from an HD remake of VII.

5. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Considering they've remade Advent Children a couple of times, and have given us both a prequel and sequel to the game, I'm sure they're well aware that ANYthing related to FF7 will sell well.

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I finally got a copy of FFX! I'm a few years late, but then I only got my PS2 a few weeks ago! [face_dancing]

7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Is it 1995?

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    No, it's 2002! :p

9. divinerose

divinerose Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 15, 2009
    Which is why I'm constantly confused as to why they're hemming and hawing on doing a remake. Yes, I'm sure it'd take some time (FFXIII's long production is proof), but then again, look at FFXIII. It's gorgeous.

And since they already have that one in the bag, surely by now they'd know how to make the process go faster for a FFVII remake?

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Did give FF7 a try some months back - the problem? It hasn't aged well. An FF7 remake with FF10, 12 or 13's combat system would probably be very good.

11. captain-fantastic

Jan 10, 2007
    I agree. There are more issues, though, than the way it looks and battle system. There's voice acting and rewriting the script so it sounds natural. There's the actual presentation, and by that I mean their solution for the world map, among other things. I'm not so sure that the world map as it was in VII would translate so well to modern gen consoles. Then think about this: How much content did they put into that game, including side quests and all of that? Now take all of that extra content, upgrade it all to high def and try to shove it onto one disc. My limited knowledge of technology says that even a blu-ray would have trouble fitting all of FF VII onto one disc and have it look halfway decent.

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    A remake of FF7 would easily fit on one disc. It's hardly different in size to any other FF game.

13. captain-fantastic

Jan 10, 2007
    I'm not so sure. In Final Fantasy XIII there is the story, and the side mission quests, which basically amount to dropping a monster in the existing world and having you hunt it. In FF VII, there is the main story, which is comparable in length to XIII (including getting Yuffie and Vincent). Then there is the entire Golden Saucer, including Chocobo Races. Then there is Chocobo breeding. Then there are the optional Weapons fights, the battle at Fort Condor, and probably other things I'm forgetting. My point is, to upgrade the graphics to an acceptable level on each one of these things AND keep the story intact with all of the fully rendered-3D towns and environments that we'd demand would be a huge undertaking.

14. divinerose

divinerose Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 15, 2009
    Well, I'm sure the fans wouldn't mind having a quality game on multiple discs if it meant that they were finally getting a remake.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not convinced it'd be on multiple discs, at least, not on PS3.

We're at that stage now where the companies are familiar enough to really push things and start really tapping the hardware, thus things like MGS4 which was a major undertaking to fit into the confines of a blu-ray disc may well be easier now.

Even if it wasn't, if it was good enough, multiple discs wouldn't be an issue.

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Most of that is no issue...Chocobo breeding? Weapon fights? They require no additional graphics at all, except 1 character model for each Weapon. Besides the main story locations, and getting Yuffie and Vincent...what new areas are there in FFVII? Zero. The side quetss added no new locations at all, except the Chocobo racecourse.

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Has anyone heard anything new on Agito?

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    So I did a bit of digging and it seems that Agito is halfway done. One site, I forget which, said that the real time stuff was mostly complete and that the cutscenes will be done when the team doing them is done with the new Parasite Eve game. Personally, I'd just like to see something new. All this waiting with nothing to show is getting boring. [face_tired]

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Sorry for the triple posting, but I have exciting news! Play.com has FF Agito XIII available for preorder with a release date of 25 Mar 2011!!

I can't seem to find an offical release date so I'm going to tried not to get too excited by this, but still . . [face_dancing]

20. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Apparently FFXIV is bad. Like really bad.

It seems like they're doing everything right these days in FFXI, and everything wrong in FFXIV. Maybe 7 years from now FFXIV will be a good game...if it survives that long. Something tells me it won't.

21. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I personally think that square should just stay away from MMOs and stick to the single player worlds.

Evil.

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I have a question about FFXIII. As I'm hoping to get an Xbox 360 shortly after Christmas I'm thinking of getting FFXIII to go with it. Unfortunately I've heard that it is very linear and that all the maps are just straight lines and there isn't any exploring to do. Is this true? I started FFX and I wanted to like and kind of did but I was put off by the fact that you just follow a fixed path. I just liked the world map exploring of the other games, that was good and I enjoyed it, even if I got lost some times.

23. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Well, that's pretty much true for about the first 25-30 hours (that's right. I said 25-30 HOURS!!) of the game. Yep, that's how long you have to wait before you get the last tutorial, get all jobs (or whatever they were called) opened for all of your characters, and can choose your party. After that you go off to an area that is mostly an open world with some exploring and quests (extraordinarily few compared to previous FF titles) to do. The question is, do you think you can put up with all of that linear-ness for 25-30 hours before the world really opens up? I couldn't do it and I threw in the towel around hour 26.

edit:

Actually, my old post about it sums up my opinion better:

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So in short Zebra you got past the first Barthandalus fight and then gave up, just as you got to the open world bit? Seems an odd thing to do.

Anyway, for MM:

I liked FF13, the characters are stereotypical and set up to develop in fairly obvious but the story is well-done, with some excellent sequences. A few of the boss battles are epic and quite evil in places, the auto-battle option isn't sufficient for these, you'll get killed easily.

By now, it'll cheap to buy anyway. But the point is, the 2/3 of the game that is linear is intended to get you used to characters, abilities and combat - in that respect it's very similar to FFX - crack the combat system, really understand it and you'll win the game, though you'll need a bit of luck. The final chapters are much harder due to the game assuming that you know exactly what you're doing.

Really the only thing to beware of is: FF13 may kill your Xbox! :)

25. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Oh, I didn't even get that far. I was almost to the first Barthandalus fight when I quit. I was in that really long bridge area just before the fight with all of those PPSICOM enemies when I realized "Man, I sure am bored." Then I turned off the game and went to play God of War III.