main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Final Fantasy Saga (FF7 Rebirth Spoilers TAGGED)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well then, I'll throw in a couple of further comments then:

The Barthandelus fight is very well-done, you do feel like you're fighting a massive demonical adversary.

But second is that after that, Chapter 11, the difficulty goes up considerably and you do have to be far more engaged in it all.

By the by, God of War 3? Personally, I'd go with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 instead.

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Wait, what? Why would FFXIII kill my Xbox? :eek:

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't be too worried mousse.

What happened is around the time FF13 came out it was known that it would be a demanding game for the 360 to run - the 360 version has multiple discs, PS3 has just the one. At the same time, quite a few people got hit by RRODs - while playing FF13. Thus the one-liner liner:

FF13 killed my Xbox!

The truth? Chances are whatever game you were playing when you got the RROD, you still would have got it.

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Oh, that's a bit of a relief. I'm guessing a new Xbox won't have the same issues. :)

I finally have a copy of FFVII: Crisis Core! [face_dancing]

5. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Well, I haven't deleted my FF13 saves so I might go back to it some day.

And I could never play Ninja Gaiden 2. I sucked so bad at the first one I don't think I could relive that kind of pain by playing the second :p

6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Just two quick reviews, one of Crisis Core and one of the new 4 Heroes of Light.

Crisis Core is fun, though entering combat isn't as smooth as it could be (Crystal Cronicles was good for this). Levelling up seemed a bit random as well, with no XP awarded for kills and levelling dependant on a 'one armed bandit' style mechanism. The main story is really good, and I'm actually like Sephiroth and the other characters. Also, there are so many side missions to do that can boost your level, get items, materia, and such. Good game with slick graphics, and lots of fun.

4 Heroes of Light plays much like the Crystal Chronicles games except with random battles and turned based combat. I'm really impressed with this game. The whole thing is just fun and the touch screen works well with the game and I'm actually using it a lot. The graphics are a bit cartoon-y but they work well overall. I was actually surprised when the party split up, something I've not seen in a Final Fantasy game. I think it happens kind of in FF3 but you still control the same character, but in this one you control one half of the party and then the other. Also has pirates and job classes (in the form of 'crowns' which are just spiffy hats). Well worth getting if you have a DS. Oh, and what I really like is that if you get killed you don't just fall to the floor, you appear as a ghost and float around. When combat ends you float around the maps as a ghost as well.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh, true Zebra I have heard much about Ninja Gaiden II but Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is quite different to its source material - it's less harsh, fairer, I'd say better but I've only played NGS2 so can't compare it to its legendarily nasty 360 original!

8. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    So is Ninja Gaiden II worth the purchase?

9. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    So is Ninja Gaiden II worth the purchase?

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It really depends on what console you're buying it on:

PS3: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 - yes, but download the demo first and if you like it then buy the game.

XBox 360: Ninja Gaiden II - by reputation, one of the most vicious, unfair, cruel, nasty and all round hostile games ever created!

While there are similarities between the two, they should be deemed seperate games - for instance NG2 has blood all over the place and up to 15-20 enemies at a time, MGS2 reduces this to 6 but ups the AI of them:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3176253&p=37
    http://gamerlimit.com/2009/10/gamer-limit-review-ninja-gaiden-sigma-ii/
    http://www.gametrailers.com/gamereview.php?id=11034

I should emphasise, however, that I was smart enough to stick to the easy setting and still found some sections absolutely evil, but those with better dexterity will get on better.

Why does the game work? Few games, save for the likes of AC2 or Batman AA, give you the sense of being a rock-hard bastard - here you've multiple weapons, plus arrows and shurikens to use on adversaries. And some of the moves you pull off have a wow aspect to them that will see wanting to do them again.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Getting back into FF XIII again. Im finally able to pick my party members so Im going with Lighting , Hope and Sazh(I love haste).

12. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I've been playing FFXIII lately on my friend's PS3 and am really enjoying it so far. :D

The storytelling definitely needs work - I could follow it all purely because I Wiki'ed the whole thing beforehand, but being thoroughly spoiled shouldn't be required to enjoy the game. (Part of why it's so confusing is Episode Zero seems to be required reading, and it never got officially released in English.) The voice acting vacillates between convincing and endearing to over-acted and omg who wrote those lines they're terrible. And yes, the game is terribly linear.

But it's awesome anyway: I love the battle system, and also love how they make you use every character in combat for a good portion of the game, rather than having half your group mysteriously disappear and then reappear during cutscenes. Well... love in a sense... I didn't enjoy the Vanille-Sazh sequences because they felt terribly underpowered next to Lightning and Hope, but that definitely made it more of a challenge which is always fun. And the game is so pretty! Seriously, I keep stopping to pan the camera around for the view, or X-button-mashing in combat to watch the animations, and so on ...

Also Vanille/Fang is so canon. :p

Just landed on Pulse, and boy am I getting pwned by random beasties. I used to be able to go all Super Damage Frenzy with Lightning/Hope/Sazh (buff and go!) but now if I don't have a Sentinel in my party at all times I get decimated in about fifteen seconds flat. Need moar CP.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, watch out on Pulse, sometimes a Monthy Python strategy is required*

* "Run away! Run away!"

14. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Im in the "training ground" for L Cie currently.

15. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Yyyyep... so it just took me half a dozen tries to beat Hecatoncheir. I figured out pretty quick that I should attack while he was looming and switch Fang to Sentinel when he attacked, but it took me a ridiculously long time to realise Saboteur attacks caused the Eidolon bar to rise faster than Ravager. :oops: Of course ... all the Eidolon battles before that have depended on using the summoner's primary spec ... that should have occurred to me much earlier. Felt rather stupid after that. :p

16. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Landed on Pulse the other day and Ive just been running around fightn marks for 2 days now. Man my book says to stick with Lightning, Hope, and Fang and that a Sen is a must. I havent had to have one at all... I use the Decimation Para, with L as a Com, H as Rav, and Sazh as Syn casting Haste and all his other buffs and I just kick ass.

17. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Final Fantasy XIV port for PS3 is 100% complete

Interesting thing from the article, both the PC and PS3 versions will share the same servers. I hear this game is still pretty messed up, however. Anyone here playing it? I'd like to hear some first hand accounts of it.

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I wish they didnt pull this online stunt again! Was XI always gripped about? The reviews Ive heard for XIV sux as well from what my friends say. Granted Ive never played either of them...

19. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    The newest Game Informer is saying how bad 14 is and how much they rip you off to play it.

20. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    People griped about FFXI upon release and well after, but nothing like this. FFXI had the advantage of having already been out in Japan a while before it saw domestic service. And it wasn't rushed. FFXIV was completely rushed to make the PC deadline, and players are still basically playing a beta now. Its so bad, SE has extended the free trial month to a third month. I think truth be told, FFXIV was designed to be released for PS3, altho they've had problems with the PS3 port. In other words, the FFXIV that comes out for PS3 should be the FFXIV that was intended to be released, so we'll see. I still have no intention of playing it anymore, I've heard so many bad things about it.

On the plus side, it seems all the bad members of the FFXI development team went to FFXIV. I can't believe I'm saying this, but FFXI is actually a pretty good game now.

21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I didnt know that many people played XI anymore? Thats cool though.

22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hope its ok to bump a topic that's sorta old. Anyway, following rumors of a new website registration, FF XIII-2 has been announced, and its supposedly for Japan this year. So what, Lightning becomes a pop star in the sequel? :p Although in the trailer and the pic released so far, Lightning's new outfit is already a bit more flashy than before, and I'm tempted to call it a quick cash-in on SE's part. Although unlike FFX, there's not really a world (map) to build on, given XIII's linearity, as well as the fact that, ending spoilers, aside from the four surviving main characters, Serah and the little kid, every other named character is dead, although at least this way we won't see those characters acting crazy in the sequel. But still, XIII didn't have quite as deep a world as most of the earlier Final Fantasies had, not to mention not much of a supporting cast. It'll probably still turn out decent, but after X-2, I'm somewhat afraid of FF sequels.

And apparently they've renamed Agito to something else, although supposedly its still part of that big XIII Crystal project, and it'll be on two UMDs. Has there been any other PSP games that required two UMDs? Even better, it finally has a Japanese release date window. Too bad XIII Versus is still far, far off.

I've got to get around to level-ing up far enough to take on the tougher Pulse creatures someday though.

23. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Saw that earlier today. Hell yes FFXII-2! :D

I'm not so fond of Lightning's new outfit. It's pretty cool, but not very Lightning - she's supposed to be speedy, not encumbered by a shield and armour.

24. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    FF13 was the first FF I've ever played, not really being much of a JRPG fan other than Star Ocean.

But I LOVED it. And since Versus is PS3 exclusive(last i heard), this very very welcome news indeed.

I hope they get another epic Leona Lewis song for the cinematic trailer. I still watch that thing every now and again since it sums up the story in 5 minutes instead of 90 hours.

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I've not got FFXIII yet, but I'll be looking to pick it up somewhen soon now that I have a 360. I'm still waiting on Agate or whatever it is though. Does anyone know of any news about that?

Depending on how well I get on with XIII I might get XIII-2, but I don't know.