main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Final Fantasy Saga (FF7 Rebirth Spoilers TAGGED)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Final Fantasy Agito XIII is now called Final Fantasy Type-O for ... well, I have no idea. It just is. I think it's still in the same 'world' though.

I really liked FF13. It had a fantastic story, entertaining (though sometimes annoying) characters and very very pretty graphics. Sure it didn't have towns, shops and open-world exploration, but I find all of that tedious anyway. I made my friend play basically the entire Pulse mission-grinding part.

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I really liked the open world exploration of FF games. The shops were good too.

Also, it seems that Type-0 will be on two UMDs. Not sure how that'll work, whether it'll be half the game on one disc and sapping over half way through or have some content on one disc to be installed with the other disc used to play it. Oh well. It should be out in Japan this summer so it shouldn't be too much longer, and there'll be a new trailer up next week as well.

Very excited.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, teaser trailer for FFXIII-2 has just come out, I'll be interested in that.

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I got FFXIII today and have been playing it for a bit. Very pretty graphics. Combat is ok too, if a bit simple, but then I often just mashed one button with other FF games.

Final Fantasy Type-0 has a new trailer out today, which should be good. I haven't seen it yet as I'm waiting for it to load and I have to walk the dog.

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I think it'd be better if I could understand what's being said, but yeah, I'm not all that excited either. I don't have a PS3 and I doubt I'll ever get one either, so it's not like I'll get to play it.

The Type-0 trailer was pretty awesome. Looking forward to it. :)

Also, would I be right in thinking that if I install all three FFXIII discs I can just keep the first one in and not have to swap them?

7. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    alas, no. it needs to verify each disc as they're needed.

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Oh well, FFVIII was on four discs so I'm sure I'll cope, and my 360 is within reach. I am really liking it though. Vanille is pretty awesome, I love her accent and her outfit, which I'd wear if I could get away with it.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Is it just me, or were a lot of the robot enemies from the Type-0 trailer very similar to Shinra robots from FF7 and its spin-offs?

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It wouldn't surprise me, the Final Fantasy series has a lot of strong themes that run through all of them, including visually, so to have similar looking enemy models would fit in with that.

11. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    chocobos usually look about the same.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Certainly, though one has to admit that the reoccurring themes have been stronger in the more...traditional fantasy settings, while the more sci-fi settings have had less visual continuity.

13. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I'm more excited than ever after watching the versus XIII trailer. It seems like Square is following that same pattern it did with the PSone games. XIII is pretty similar to VII in a basic sense, and it looks like versus XIII is going to share a lot of similarities with FF VIII. 8 is hands down my favorite of the main FF series. I loved the visual style they were going for, the music was breathtaking, and the story was pretty dark with the center of the story being Squall and Rinoa's relationship. vXIII seems to be following the same basic formula as 8 did, and that has be extremely stoked. :)

Evil.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not sure about Versus XIII now, couldn't really tell how the combat system actually worked and the graphics, while OK, didn't look quite as good as XIII's.

15. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    The combat system is strongly reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts, right down to the combat menu and the three member party. The battle with the behemoth looks exactly like a KH Cerberus fight with a futuristic facelift. I suppose all that is hardly a surprise with KH's creator at the helm, but it looks a lot less original than I thought it might be.

Still looking forward to it, but I'm not expecting a masterpiece. I liked the music.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Can someone give me a quick lowdown on the upgrade system in XIII? I've just got the upgrade ability but I don't know what I'm doing. Do I just add items and it'll give XP and level up the weapon? Or is it like FFVIII where you need specific stuff to upgrade?

17. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Basically, random loot gives you EXP towards leveling up a weapon/amulet/other.

If you get a big enough EXP boost at once, you get a x1.5->x3.0 multiplier to the next item/s you use to level the item. Theres specific area's of the game to farm easy stuffs to get EXP boosts while also providing nice points themselves, or you can buy alot of cheap items and build up the Multiplier by using a bunch at once.

At a certain level of a weapon/amulet/other, it will require a specific item(usually pretty rare) and it will evolve the item to its next stage. Most weapons have 2 evolutions(Base stage-> Advanced->Master kinda system). IIRC, most accessories have only 1 advancement.

I'm pretty sure theres a hnady-dandy guide out there somewhere that explains it even better than the Strat Guide, which is what i was working off of. Gamefaqs usually has good stuff.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's kind of complex BUT levelling up weapons does help, you'll need to decide which you upgrade though.

You get exp points for every item but by mixing tech and organic components you can create a multiplier effect, so the way to upgrade is to use small, cheap items to raise the multiplier then throw in some big stuff that gets multiplied. You'll only be able to get weapons to level 2 in all likelihood but that'll be enough to make a big difference when you get the lev 2 weapon powered up. Initially it doesn't seem that different but several upgrades later, it becomes lethal.

I relied on powering up weapons to win the second Barthandelus fight.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    The problem I'm having is that only Vanille can do much damage. I certainly can't do much damage without her and the only time I can get five stars is when she's in the party. I really need to upgrade all the weapons so they can at least do some moderate damage. I have two guns for Sazh, which would be best to upgrade?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hard to say, I'm not sure there's a definitive answer MM, tends to depend on your play style - I tend to opt for a magic-attack, defence-offence balance, but there's different weapons for other styles too. I think for Lightning I upped the BlazfireSaber, can't remember what I did for Sazh.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Why did no one mention that FFIV was redone for the PSP along with the sequel?

the blog post about its release.

I've got FFIV on the GBA and the DS, but I know I'll be picking this up as well. It'll be good to finally get my hands on the sequel too as afaik it's only been a Japanese release until now.

Anyone got this or is anyone else excited about this?

22. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I got to Orphans Cradle 2 weeks ago and havent played since. I need to get the hell back and finish this game...its been out almost a yr and I got it on release day.

23. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It'll be good to finally get my hands on the sequel too as afaik it's only been a Japanese release until now.

The sequel is available on the Wii virtual console. It's somewhat interesting, but nothing spectacular. And it gets kind of obnoxious towards the end.

Amazing.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I didn't know that, and knowing doesn't really help much as I don't have a Wii.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Be warned, the last set of bosses are a bastard! The last of the trio is easy, but getting through the first two....

The reward is worthwhile though - final crystarium level unlocked!