VIDEO Final Fantasy Saga

Discussion in 'Games' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    My copy hasn't even been opened yet...
  2. JEDI-SOLO Jedi Master

star 5
    lol no kidding?

Well I just beat the game and now Im terribly confused. Someone please PM me that has beaten XIII so I can ask a question.
  3. JEDI-SOLO Jedi Master

star 5
    Question has been answered.

Anyway Im really liking Lightnings new look. Im just hoping that this sequel dosent completly blow like X 2 did... Im still wondering what they thinking 10 yrs ago on that.
  4. JEDI-SOLO Jedi Master

star 5
    You have finally opened it...and dont care for it all that much yet lol. What chapter are you on anyway?
  5. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I'm in Chapter 4, been playing for around 8 hours. However everything so far is 'walk in a straight line, 3-4 battles, cutscene.' And the story isn't dragging me in, so far every character is just raging and moaning, not feeling 'epic' yet.

The extremely fast paced battles are also still a bit confusing, and I haven't got quite used to the tactics yet.

Really pretty though.
  6. JEDI-SOLO Jedi Master

star 5
    It def can be confusing in the early part in the game. Plus it has no traditionaly FF leveling up system, its all done through weapons and items which takes a LONG time I might add and seems like its not even working. Ofcourse it IS working though, when you come to a point where you have a save crystal then FARM for CP and items. I can spend hours in a FF game in one location leveling up...I love it. Follow this rule and you ll get your items, weapons leveled up faster: When first appling items for the level up MAKE SURE you are use ORGANIC componets ONLY till you get the X=magnifier up to 3X exp. THEN you use a LARGE number of MECHANICAL parts for a huge exp boost and start the process all over.
  7. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I only start farming and upgrading if I can't pass a battle. I've bought nothing and used no upgrade items so far, will probably wait till I get some better items to do it with.
  8. Zebra3 Jedi Master

star 5
    Okay, I lost my mind and decided to pick up FF 13 again. I've made some progress but have officially hit a wall.

Someone needs to tell me how to defeat Cid Raines. My attacks do practically zero damage, the chain gauge hardly moves at all, his attacks are awful, and my debuffs don't seem to be working. Anyone have a good strategy?

edit: Also, the story is just as terrible as I remember.
  9. Reynar_Tedros Jedi Master

star 6
    I remember having trouble with that fight too. This guide might help, I can't remember what strategy I used to beat him. Unfortunately I never finished the game because I was stymied by a sharp spike in difficulty towards the end, and that was after hours and hours of grinding. The story just didn't grip me enough for me to have that much of a desire to see it to its end. Fun gameplay though.
  10. Zebra3 Jedi Master

star 5
    Oh yeah. The battle system's awesome! I think it's one of the best in the series. I also liked the battle system in FF 10.

And I found an AWESOME guide for beating Cid: Beat Cid in 2-3 minutes and it totally works!

So after that I just blasted my way through the rest of chapter 9 and 10. Not I'm on Gran Pulse and I'm free to go wherever! Glorious exploration how I've missed you!
  11. Reynar_Tedros Jedi Master

star 6
    Should've called Gran Pulse "Grind Pulse." :p
  12. Zebra3 Jedi Master

star 5
    ugh, you're not kidding. I took a look at the CP costs for expanding my roles in the higher Crystarium levels and it's insane. They reeeeeaaalllyyy wanted people to be playing this game for as long as possible. Didn't they?

Anyway, got any good CP farming spots to reccomend?
  13. ZanderSolo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Follow the story until you get to the Mah'bara Mines.

After you get in there, there is a side passage rather early on that deadends rather quickly. Get a good healer, good rav, and good Mando, and go to town. I think the net is around 22.5k CP per run through of side passage, they quickly respawn, and if you can manage pre-emptive strikes you can end the fights nearly instantly.

ProTip: Fire burns. Lightning Strikes.
  14. Zebra3 Jedi Master

star 5
    Done with the story at last! I have to admit I really had to force myself to pick this game up again after I put it down a year and a half ago. I'm sort of glad I did. The combat is really fun, the music is great, and it's still really beautiful. The story, however, is a terrible mess. I think the basics of the story are pretty cool but the execution was subpar as far as FF stories go. Some of the dialogue was absolutely cringe worthy. There were also far too many "We can do it!" and "Don't give up now!" speeches throughout.

Another thing, just how long were they standing before Orphan at the very end just chatting? It seemed like a long time. At least Orphan was really polite about it and patiently waited it's turn to try and kill you.

So now back to Gran Pulse to grind some more. The rest of the trophies don't seem to be particularly difficult, just astonishingly time consuming.

Also, I've heard it's possible to fail getting the Treasure Hunter trophy on a playthrough. Are there missable items?
  15. JEDI-SOLO Jedi Master

star 5
    Man I really need to start playing this again to finsih off those last Monster Hunts or whatever they re called in XIII. Im really looking foward to this Jan for XIII-2.
  16. Leto II Jedi Padawan

star 6
    I seriously need to finish the rest of FF XIII's Cie'th Stone missions before XIII-2 drops in January -- I beat the main game last year, got the "Superstar" Achievement (for five-starring the final boss-battle), and started loot- and EXP-farming down on Gran Pulse, but millions of Crystarium points just to beat those last couple of quests (the mother****ing "Titan's Trials")?

Who has the time for that?
  17. Zebra3 Jedi Master

star 5
    It gets significantly less time consuming when you get the Growth Egg. I got really lucky with that one because the mark you have to defeat to get it is extremely powerful but he's he's vulnerable to Death (which will only hit 1% of the time). Fortunately I managed to KO him with my second casting.
  18. Zebra3 Jedi Master

star 5
    sorry for the double post

So now I'm missing all but 4 of the trophies: Adamant Will, Treasure Hunter (ugh! An exercise in tedium if ever there was one), Superstar, and Ultimate hero. I've decided I hate fighting the big turtle things. My strategy for defeating the Long Gui for that trophy will be to have Vanille spam death until she dies then just retry until it works. I'll find some other place to grind for gil. I hear grinding for perfumes in Orphan's Cradle pays off pretty well.
  19. Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Just bought a PSP just to get FFIV. Playing it now. It's awesome. I like the graphics. Summons look awesome.
  20. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    To my surprise I tried the FF13-2 demo tonight on the PS3 and ended up absolutely loathing it! Really didn't expect that to happen.
  21. JEDI-SOLO Jedi Master

star 5
    FFXIII 2 releases this month dosent it?
  22. Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeah, on the 31st I believe.

Evil.
  23. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    It's nicely done and I'm really enjoying it. You might want to pick up FFI and FFII as well if you don't already have those. FFII is my favourite in the series so far, but if you do get FFII and you're likely to play it again then save after the epic long intro and don't use that slot to save again, otherwise you'll have to do the long intro again each time.

I'm downloading the FFXIII-2 demo at the moment. I really want to enjoy it, but I don't know.
  24. Zebra3 Jedi Master

star 5
    I'm in the same boat here. It's still really pretty and the combat's fun but the story...we'll see.

Also, I've been playing maybe 15 minutes so far and I can honestly say I actively hate Noel's MC Hammer pants.
  25. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Things that killed it for me:

Teleporting monsters in out of nowhere - that's effectively prehistoric now
    Moogle clock - not explained at all and very confusing, this is an intro demo I expect to be introduced to key concepts and not have to go looking for an explanation in a tutorial index!
    QTEs in combat, feral link etc - too damn fast.
    Combat itself - your characters seem too slow and inhibited compared to the enemy and that's before wound damage gets added in, which is something else the game never bothers to explain.
    Difficulty seems way up too compared to FF13.
    Creates save data at start then stops you from saving - why? It's a big fat demo that'll take a good few hours to explore properly.

Know what all that said to me? I'm too old for this crap, didn't even bother completing it, just got bored and exasperated with the mechanisms.

A big surprise but the not the kind I wanted to get.
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest