main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Final Fantasy VII: Greatest game of all time?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Cam_Mulonus, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaotic_Jedi

Chaotic_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    Ya i guess your right :D

2. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Nah, a world map still leaves it a mystery, because you can't explore everything and see everything right away, but it opens up more and more as you move along. And it adds the ease of backtracking.

And yes, when you got the airship you could backtrack... but you got that ship so very late in the game.

Anyway, I have to disagree about FF9.

In fact, FF9 and 8 were the only two FF's I have not played in the entire series due to the fact that my PSX broke down. But a bit ago, I picked up FF9 and 8 since I got a PS2 not to long ago. And just finished last night getting through FF9, I can say that it beats the pants out of 7.

Again, I liked 7. But the game was a mess. The translation job was a muddle and felt like a 10 year old korean kid trying to speak English. And well, the storyline was too bloated and full of holes.

Good game. But to me it fails to live up to many of the other FF's.

I think FF9 was great. Better than 7. Not as good as X or my favorite, 4, but better than 7.

Anyway, tomorrow morning I start playing 8.

I'll see how that one goes for me.

3. Mrs_Kitty

Mrs_Kitty Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2002
    I thought FFVII was great, but it's still not my favorite.

I've played Final Fantasy since FF1 was on NES. My favorite always have been and always will be FF3/6.

FF2/4 was great. FF5 I didn't like too much, I hate doing the jobs. FF8 is okay. FF9 I really like. And FF10 was awesome. FFtactics I can't stand. I hate the way the battle scenes are.

4. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001

Not as good as X or my favorite, 4[hr][/i][/blockquote]

That's one thing we semi-agree on. 4 used to be my favorite, but it was surpassed by 10. 4 is still a close second with me, though.

5. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, am glad you like 4. Not many people do.

Well, I'm sure that is not true. But usually, when you ask someone which one is their favorite, they always say 6, 7 or 8. No one ever mentions 4.

Which is too bad, since I think it is a great game.

6. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    I'd say most people haven't played four. Even if they played it now, it probably wouldn't appeal to them because of the outdated graphics. Doesn't bother me, though, cause I grew up on it.

EDIT: Square should do a remake to justifibly introduce it to a new generation. The funny thing is, the real-time graphics would be better than the FMVs of the PS1 remake.

7. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    Final Fantasy 6 was the best of that series imo
    but the best game made is going to be star wars galaxies (i hope).

8. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    It's a very good game. Maybe even a great game, but it is not the greatest game of all time.

9. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    FF4 was rather good up to the *** final boss. The ***'s so *** incredibly hard I can't believe it. I mean, ***, thank God Squaresoft discovered the word 'fairness' in the dictionnary in later games... The *** launches his devastating *** big bang attack every single *** round. That'd be almost acceptable if sometimes he hadn't TWO *** turns per round, eliminating a character in one round, and putting the rest of my team on their knees. And since Mister "I got a Big *** Attack" doesn't let you act, so to speak, I can't even revive my guys - the only healer who could cast a Life2 on my fallen friend is too busy healing the others, and if I use a Life item, the resurrected guy doesn't stand a chance in the next round. Not to mention my healer runs out of MP...

As you most likely tell, I'm rather angry. ***, I'm at level 60+ with every characters - in the others FF, at that level, the final bosses were a piece of cake. Raaaaargh.

Dammit.

10. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    Have Edge steal a "Dark Matter" from Zeromus. It will reduce the effects of the Big Bang.

11. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Yeah, I was able to steal it only once, and I didn't notice any big difference (almost the contrary, in fact)... Well, I guess I'll try boosting my charcaters to 70+ and then again try to steal first and then take on Zeromus.

12. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    FF7 is definatly one of my 3 favourite games ever.

13. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    A remake of 4 would be great. I love that game.

That was the first game I bought for the SNES, not counting the Mario game it came with... you remeber that? The time when video game companies were not cheap bastards and bundled a free game with the system? Ironic, also considering cartridges are more expensive than discs.

I blame Sony for this nw no game tradition. Because even the Saturn, which used discs, came with a game.

Arg!

As you can see, that bugs me a lot! heh

Actually, I can live without the bundled game. You know what irks me? I strongly believe that when you buy a game system, it should be playable outside the box. That means, I think it is BS you have to fork 25 bucks on top of that for a memory card. One should be standard issue with each system.

Before that wasnt a problem because either systems were cartridge base or all disc based systems came with some internal memory so you didn't have to shell out extra for a memory card until that space ran out. Again, blame Sony for that tardition. I mean, the 3D0, Sega CD and Saturn supported cards, but they had some internal memory.

*rant over*

Anyway, FF4 needs more recognition and it's a shame because it was one of the higest selling games back in the day.

And FF4 was way better than 5.

5 was good because of the job system and it had cool enemies and a good design to it. But the story was lame in my opinion and the characters were pretty bland.

14. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I strongly believe that when you buy a game system, it should be playable outside the box. That means, I think it is BS you have to fork 25 bucks on top of that for a memory card. One should be standard issue with each system.

Totally agree with you. But what really annoys me is the fact that you have to buy a $30 remote just to use the DVD player built-into the Xbox. What a rip-off.

Anyway, FFIV is my favorite FF of the pre-32-bit era, closely followed by FFV. I liked FFVI, but I didn't care for the graphical style or oppressively dark atmosphere.

15. AnakinMoonwalker

AnakinMoonwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2002
    FFVII was definatly in my opinion the greatest game ever made (shenmue would be second)

16. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, I finally beat Zeromus... I stole the DarkMatter, but he definitely hit me as hard as if I hadn't stolen it - sometimes even more, I think... Maybe he used Big Bang a little bit less - I had this slight impression, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, apart from some unfunny sequences, the game was real good, with as usual an interesting story and compelling characters.

But really, the FMVs were quite ridiculous... They must have thrown something together in a week or so just in order to say they made new FMVs on the box. Oh well, I shouldn't complain. I got a good game for a relatively low price. :)

17. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    Congrats.

The FMVs are pretty lame. Remake! :D

18. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    I just thought of another GREAT game for the SNES...The Illusion of Gaia

19. Shadoer

Shadoer Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2003
    The thing that made Final Fantasy 7 stand out from other games is that it really struck emotional, intelectual, and even spiritual cords that no other game has ever achieved.
    The shocking scene of a characters fate.
    The parallels between the drawing of makoo energy to our own world pollution.
    Even the character and music of Sephiroth spurred emotions on certain levels.

This has made FF7 one of the best games ever, if not the most remembered.

20. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I thought FF10 was a great game, but FF7 holds that number one spot for games in my mind.

21. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    For those of you who like FFVI:

A prequel is being made for PC. You can read more about it on THIS SITE. Demo available next month.

22. Cam_Mulonus

Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Kinda off topic, but...

I've recently got a PS2, and have purchased FF VII to play on it. I have a PS2 memory card in it, and whenever I try to save on VII, it says there's no card. Do I need a PS1 memory card or something?

23. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Yes. You need the PS1 Memory Card, or so I'm told.

24. Rogue_of-Peace

Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    You need PS1 cards for PS games and PS2 cards for PS2 games. However, after saving, you can go to the memory card menus and copy the save from PS1 card to PS2 card, creating more space on PS1 card for saves. I don't believe you can open saves on PS2 card, but you can just transfer it back and forth.

On topic, FF7 was a great game. Just so I know, what FF games can I play on PS/PS2 and which ones I'll need to acquire by other means?

25. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    FFVII was a good game. Greatest game of all time? Not even close. Greatest FF game to date? not likely. FFVII had horrible characters and the story was your typical over dramatic anime story, ack! Out of the cast of characters the only interesting ones were Cid and Vincent. FF III and FF Tactics had a far superior cast of characters and better stories. Square needs to wake up and make a new FF Tactics game on a console instead of making lame expansions on that piece of excrement called FFX.

FFVII had the best mini-games though. The Golden Saucer rocked. Breeding Cocobos and then racing them was pretty cool not to mention the arena or the arcade. Loved that submarine game and the Snow boarding was kind of fun. :)

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.