main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Final Fantasy VII: Greatest game of all time?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Cam_Mulonus, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    That Chocobo race is more luck than anything else. Sometimes you get a good set of balloons, sometimes you don't. Personally, I wish there was an option to kill certain NPCs in the game. That Chocobo lady would be the first to go. Maybe I should make my own RPG.

2. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Does anyone else think a Star Wars game with the FF gameplay would be rather cool ? I think it'd work really well. A while ago, I had some fun trying to visualize how a FF-SW game'd look. So I imagined a bit of the game, starting on Geonosis. That was because it's a cool battle I could rather easily turn into 'game screenshots'. Of course some concepts I use on the screenshots would be more 'in-universe' if the game was set post-NJO. (Just EU crazyness here, if you don't like it, just have a look at the concept.)

[image=http://www.pxart.com/starwars/ffsw/00.jpg] [image=http://www.pxart.com/starwars/ffsw/07.jpg] [image=http://www.pxart.com/starwars/ffsw/10.jpg]

See all the "screenshots" here.

3. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    To be honest with you, no. I think that would be the worst fate for a Star Wars game. Combat would be dull and not very challenging. You would end up having your guys lined up on one side of the screen slowly trading blows with the guys on the other side of the screen. And then there would be the ridiculous over the top attacks doing insane amounts of damage not to mention the long winded summons. Keep FF gameplay as far away from SW gaming as possible. KOTOR has got the right idea for a Star Wars RPG. If it was a FF style game then the player would be stuck playing someone elses hero as the main character. The game would end up being all flash and no substance.

[image=http://lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/images/screens/38.jpg] [image=http://lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/images/screens/24.jpg]

I'd much rather see it played out like this. This way you actualy get that feeling of epic battles. With everyone running around fighting all over the place. Instead of being rooted to one spot on the screen untill it's your turn to attack.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

4. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    DUDE that would rock! Just those screenshots make me want to shell out the bucks man! Despite the detractors here who feel they must always go against the grain... F them!!

That would be a kick ass title.

How the hell did you make those anyway?

5. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I did that with Photoshop. I did not program a demo. ;) First I wanted to, with Flash... But me and that program have some... incompatibilities, shall we say.

Rabid,

"If it was a FF style game then the player would be stuck playing someone elses hero as the main character."

Mmmm, isn't that what you do in most games ? I mean, the most interactivity you get is choosing your next line from a selection of about three different lines - and that's not even the most frequent case. Honestly, apart from MMORPG, your quite set in stone - that is stuck in a predefined hero.

"The game would end up being all flash and no substance."

Let's say I disagree. But I won't try to argue with you on that matter, we won't ever be able to agree. :p That's the kinda debate that goes nowhere.

"This way you actualy get that feeling of epic battles. With everyone running around fighting all over the place. Instead of being rooted to one spot on the screen untill it's your turn to attack."

Well, maybe the FF system could be adapted, i.e. the characters move dynamically after each turn, thus they never have the same position. I'm not sure of that, but I think the characters in FFX-2 will move around and within their ennemies.

6. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Back when FFII (FFIV) came out for SNES, I thought it would be cool to have a Star Wars game done that way. Back then, most of the Star Wars games were action. Really there wasn't more you could do with it. Though a cool concept at one time, I don't think a Star Wars game in the style of FF would work well these days. More on that in a sec...

As far as playing someone else's hero, you are indeed always doing that. Because you can only do what the programmer allows for you to do. Now, some games offer you more input to shape your character than FF does, but your still really not able to create a truly interesting character in all aspects. What you're coming up with is a one-dimensional version of yourself in a template hero role. Fable will hopefully change that, but you're still losing some character definition that way and going for more quarkiness.

For the most part, FF games have been out a defined character and a defined story. There's usually a point to it, its not some "Find Your Fate Jr" video game.

Whichever one you like, it really boils down to a preference in styles. I personally prefer defined characters that have a point to them, having aspects I can relate too, but aren't exactly me (as opposed to "clay characters"). But that's just me.

Combat would be dull and not very challenging. You would end up having your guys lined up on one side of the screen slowly trading blows with the guys on the other side of the screen.[/i][hr][/blockquote]

In a next-gen Star Wars game, it would be dull and un-challenging (again, more on that in a moment). But I think it works well for FF. In FF, the random encounters can be dull and unchallenging, but that really depends on how much time you've spent leveling your characters. Same thing goes for boss battles. Although, there are some bosses and enemies in FF that it doesn't matter how high your levels are, they can easily kick your bootie.

For example in FFX, even if you have your stats maxed (an insanely difficult task in itself), you have to spend at least a good hour defeating Penance (and you have to use good strategy to do it). Same thing can be said for a lot of the arena creations, and even the bosses (again, depending on how high your stats are). FF games are aimed more toward the casual gamer, so most casual gamers aren't gonna spend a lot of time leveling up.

Of course, I think the battles are visually appealing for the most part.

[blockquote][i][hr]And then there would be the ridiculous over the top attacks doing insane amounts of damage not to mention the long winded summons.[hr][/i][/blockquote]

I agree about some of the ultimate attacks. Like in the flash animation link I posted earlier in this thread, some of them are outright ridiculous. They look good, but they're not very practical. This is one of the things that I didn't like about FF7. I don't see why Sephiroth waited on some slow-ass meteor when he could've performed "Super Nova" in a couple of minutes and wiped everything out. [face_silly]

Summons. Some of the Summon animations are indeed long winded, though I think Square realized that finally and gave the option in FFX to shorten them. But really, Summons are something I don't do on a regular basis anyway. Usually just use them in a boss battle, when it adds to the climax. So the animations don't bother me.

[blockquote][i][hr]"I'd much rather see it played out like this. This way you actualy get that feeling of epic battles. With everyone running around fighting all over the place. Instead of being rooted to one spot on the screen untill it's your turn to attack."[hr][/i][/blockquote]

For one thing, I think there's more to epic battles than just a bunch of people running around. In fact, most AOTC detractors will tell you that, despite a lot going on, the "Clone War" battle wasn't epic. I think there are three elements to an "epic" battle: size, structure, and cinematic appeal. In fact, the DOTF in TPM is a perfect example. I'd say that it could be considered more epic t

7. Guirun_Karyyk

Guirun_Karyyk Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2002
    Basically I think there's another big problem in bringing Star Wars to the "traditional console RPG" genre, and that is one of storyline. Basically, if you want to be straightforward, the main objective of this brand of RPG, like a book or movie, is to tell a story. If you already know the story, there really isn't much point of playing? If might work with something in the Old Republic or Expanded Universe, but I would probably loathe the creation of any such thing based on the films.

8. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002

I loved Final Fantasy VII, but I'd have to
    say VI is the greatest game of all time.

(Final Fantasy III for Super Nintendo)

This game had everything, heart, soul, characters you actually cared for and the best videogame soundtrack ever, not to mention a great and satisfying ending.

I also think Final Fantasy 8 has an amazing and beautiful intro and especially ending. Plus the score here is top notch. Eyes on Me is a beautiful and perfect song to end the game with, and Nobuo's score, as always, rules!

.v.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.