main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Final Fantasy VII: THE REMAKE

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't think they'd make a change that drastic. More likely we'll see something like Yuffie and Vincent become unmissable, script tightening, a more conclusive ending now that we know the story continues, that sort of thing.

That said, if you want a plot twist that is impact-wise on par with that one, the only way you're going to pull it off is to play the metagame and subvert it since it's at "Darth Vader is Luke's father" levels.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    There's an article I read that suggested among the items that the remake should/shouldn't have was keeping Yuffie and Vincent as optional players in the game. I'd certainly agree with that.

3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

The number of games out there is precisely why I'd like to focus on VII. I'm sure other games are great, but honestly, through pop-culture osmosis I've got a vague sense of what the game's about and why it's special, and I'd like to experience that.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Dude, at least play VI, that's the old hotness.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I'm surprised they're making this before a 3-D version of VI, figured that would be next. Not that I'm complaining, I already got a 3-D version of IV.

Amazing.

6. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    As long as they keep turn based gameplay, materia system and the story as it was, I would be extremely happy.

TX-20 likes this.
  7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I'd agree that Final Fantasy VII did not necessarily save Square but it did make the Final Fantasy franchise go mainstream and arguably the RPG genre in general.

It's no surprise that they are doing this. The Final Fantasy franchise has been steadily losing steam ever since the release of 10. Why not just remake the most successful game you ever had then to focus entirely on creating a new game that will only continue the downhill path for the franchise.

In anycase it will be great to see all those memorable characters and their musical themes made for a modern system. I won't buy a ps4 just for this game but I would definitely watch a playthrough of it on youtube.

8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    No changes to the plot is needed at all.

I have no issues with some changes to combat style but keep Materia etc... as I feel it works really well and is something I've missed in later games.

If this is a success can they do 9 next?

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Baloney. At minimum they need to axe Fort Condor.

Jedi Ben and TX-20 like this.
  10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I stand corrected

sorry Ramza I'd removed that "plot point" from my memory

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No worries, I think most of us try to block that. :p

12. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    My reaction to the VII remake was "cool, but it's not Final Fantasy IX". :p

13. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    FF IX also needs a remake, immediately

please

14. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Not neccesarily. First it isn't half the game that FF7 is (though is still one of the best RPG of all time), but more importantly it still looks beautiful.

FF7 graphics haven't aged as well as FF9, despite being on the same platform.

TX-20 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  17. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I highly recommend the Final Fantasy X HD remaster on the PS4. One of my favorite games ever, plus it's got an opening song that sounds like it was ripped straight from a Rammstein album.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I've got X and X-2 in their original PS2 versions. I'd only consider getting the remastered games if I bought a PS Vita.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd second the FFX Remaster. It isn't your standard remaster e.g. 'let's slap an HD coat of paint on and re-release'. There has been a good amount of work done on it.

I bought it not expecting that much and was pleasantly surprised.

Wait long enough and it'll be dead cheap anyway.

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, it'll probably be half priced by Christmas. Although I've heard the PS4 version has an odd RNG glitch affecting loot, but otherwise any of them (PS3, PS4 and Vita) should look really good. Too bad there's no cross-buy, but saves should be able to transfer between each version easily, well, if you happen to own more than one version.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That's my whole point of buying the games for both the PS4 and Vita; if I'm going to buy the handheld console. I could play most of the game on the home console, and then continue the progress if I go on trips.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One point the PS4 remaster has over the PS3 one is the original soundtrack in addition to the remastered version.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Welp, I just sprang for said remake. I shall be holding all of you accountable if I'm not charmed. :p

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I liked the Fort Condor minigame. It was a little tactical part of the overall RPG; kind of like a precursor to FF tactics, right?

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No. FFT is a direct descendent of Tactics Ogre, which had already been out for a couple of years by the time FF7 came out, and when FF7 came out Tactics was in alpha and beta testing. If anything I'd peg Fort Condor as a failed attempt to emulate Suikoden.

Also it was hot garbage and is almost universally reviled, they'd be fools to keep it if they're willing to make the changes they've hinted at.