main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Final Fantasy XII details emerge at last!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Not_Applicable, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not_Applicable

Not_Applicable Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Finally, some information on Final Fantasy XII has surfaced, along with some screen shots. Keeping with recent FF tradition, the main character appears to be a bizarrely-dressed youth by the name of "Van." Not surprisingly, there will also be Chocobos in the game. More details will come forth on November 19.

Head over to The Magic Box for the full story.

2. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Blech.

Looks like more of the same old, same old. For the most part, I really like FFI ~ X (there are exceptions, like FFII), but its time they take the series in a little different direction, something new. Otherwise, its gonna become like Mario.

As a matter of fact, SE said it would make people question whether this would be Final Fantasy or not. But to me, it looks as if it might as well be FFX-3.

I'll stick with FFXI for now, thank you very much.

3. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...just can't get excited about FF anymore...

I guess IX is the one that started to kill my interest (but i DID make it thru to the end)..

I made it.. gosh, i don't even remember how far in X.. i just lost interest...

Don't think i'll ever be going back..

4. Not_Applicable

Feb 15, 2002
    Well, I think, from the very little shown so far, that it looks pretty interesting. We don't really even know any gameplay details yet. I'm skipping FFXI and probably FFX-2 as well, so I'll be starving for a FF game by the time this comes out.

5. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I find it pretty hard to make any opinions based on a crappy advertisement. I think the two characters look cool, and the environments presented in the screenshots are pretty awesome. I can't wait to see more.

6. Not_Applicable

Feb 15, 2002
    I knew I could count on you for a positive response, Pooja.

7. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    Sorry for stating my opinion.

If I recall, you've not been so positive about FFX-2 (and chances are the same about FFXI), so...

EDIT: All I'm saying is so far, I'm not impressed. The one thing I'm gonna really need to hear about is the battle system in this. I loved the turn-based, "lets all stand in the same spot the whole time", "we didn't even see our enemies in the field" stuff, but its time to go. They need something like they have in FFXI.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Final Fantasy III (VI) all the way.

9. Not_Applicable

Feb 15, 2002
    I didn't mean to sound like I was getting on your case about being critical, Twink. I'm very sorry it came across that way. I know what it's like to take flak for dissenting opinions, so believe me, I wouldn't intentionally disparage someone.

10. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    No hard feelings. I'm sorry for getting defensive like that. :)

I didn't mean to come down so hard on the ad, but its just that SE has been pumping it up to be something so different than what we're used to, and with this ad I'm not seeing it. I hope I'm wrong. I'm a FF traditionalist, but I think they can make some drastic changes without losing the FF feel.

11. Not_Applicable

Feb 15, 2002
    Comments like that worry me as well. Naturally, I'm withholding judgment until some concrete facts appear. I love the classic FF formula, but who knows? Maybe FFXII's new direction will be good for the series. FFX was a fairly significant departure from tradition, and that worked out pretty well (no ATB!). I was pretty worried about it at first, until I saw a screenshot of a Tonberry. After that I knew things would be fine. Similarly, seeing a FFXII Chocobo screenshot gives me hope.

12. urgent_jedi_picnic

urgent_jedi_picnic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    I see they have the lizard race in one of the pictures that appears in FF Tactics, GBA. Anyone remember/know the name of that species?

I'm definately curious. One hell of a wait though. I'll just settle for X-2 for now and patiently await XI.

13. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Sorry for stating my opinion.

*shrug* Your opinion is fine, I just think those that aren't impressed should wait on more concrete info. Likewise those that do like it (me) could have a change of heart when more info is released, so we'll have to wait and see.

If I recall, you've not been so positive about FFX-2 (and chances are the same about FFXI), so...

I have solid reasons as to why I think FFX-2 is an atrocity, and most of it comes from the fact that I get a little too attached to fictional characters (including those in games, movies, books, etc.) and it sickens me to see Yuna's personality and character to be changed so drastically from FFX to FFX-2. I'm sure the game will be fun and all, BUT my purchasing of the game would mean, to the company, that I approve of what they've done with the game, and I don't. Also, FFX-2 ruins the integrity of FFX's emotional ending. There just didn't need to be a sequel. Wouldn't it have been much better for Square to have perhaps focused their development time on a new project; something totally original instead of taking once likeable, admirable characters and turning them into sluts? I know it's just a videogame, but is that a reason to just say it's okay? No. I also happen to think of some games as being a work of art. FFX had a wonderful story, wonderful characters, and a wonderful atmosphere about it. I see it as a work of accomplishment on Square's behalf. So while it IS just a videogame and a form of entertainment, I think it's admirable to look at it as something more. What if Peter Jackson made a sequel to Return of the King, putting Arwen, Galadriel, and Eowyn in bikinis and sent them on a happy fun adventure? It's just a movie, right? Sorry, I'm just disgusted with that idea, which is why I'm disgusted with FFX-2.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I hate what they've did to characters I like. FFXII, on the other hand, well, there's not really much about the look of it that I'm against. Sure, the lead female character has the hot pink shorts, but she isn't a character/personality I'm familiar with, so it doesn't bother me. I'm excited about this project and cannot wait to see more.

14. Not_Applicable

Feb 15, 2002
    Twink was referring to me when he said that. Maybe you realized that, though. Just making sure there's no confusion.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the concept of FFX-2, although I do find the characters' outfits to be incredibly garish. At this point I'm thinking I won't get it simply because of the English voice acting in the U.S. version... But that's a matter best left to my other thread (well, my retired sock's thread, anyway).

Is it just me, or does Van look like he might be the youngest main protagonist yet in the numerical series (with the possible exceptions of FFIIIj and FFIX)?

15. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Well, in case he was referring to me, there's his response. :)

And I don't have a problem with the concept of FFX-2. I have a problem with how the characters are handled and how it's infecting the ending of FFX. Otherwise I'm sure it's a nice game, but those things alone ruin it for me.

And yes, Van does seem to be pretty young. Then again, he reminds me of Kilik from Soul Calibur, who is a badass character.

Larger scan
    Larger scan 2
    Larger scan again!

16. Not_Applicable

Feb 15, 2002
    Nice find! I must admit, I like the third one the most. 8-}

On that note, Arshe (or however they intend to spell her name) looks like she's not quite as "angelic" as Rinoa, Garnet, and Yuna. I like nice girls and all, but I think it would be nice to have a different type of heroine for XII.

17. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    *Obligatory "Arshe as a nice Arse" post*

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Looks okay so far. I'm not into MMORPGs, and I probably won't be purchasing FFX-2, so I'll likely be anticipating FFXII by the time it hits shelves.

19. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    It looks alright I suppose. Part of me wanted a more moody looking main character like Squall or Cloud, but this guy could be mistaken for a girl in that battle screenshot. And he has the name 'Van'. The word 'cool' does not spring to mind. Though it did to see him riding a dragon.
    Despite this, being a huge FF fan, I know I'll be buying this when it comes out whether I like it or not.

20. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    I was referring to Not_Applicable, Pooja, but its certainly your right to dislike FFX-2 from what you've seen of it (just as it is my right to not like what I've seen of FFXII so far).

21. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I must say I agree with Pooja on his FFX-2 views. There just was no need for a sequel to ruin a touching yet perfect ending to FFX.
    FF7 would have been good for a sequel, and by that I mean a playable game not this 60 minute movie that will be Advent Children. Ah well...it's better than nothing, I suppose.

22. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Well, when Twink said "you've not been so positive about FFX-2" I just assumed he was talking to me, because I thought I was the only one to show utter distaste for it. Sorry for the confusion. :)

And about moody main characters... I'm kinda growing tired of that trend. It's always "moody at first, then the adventure changes them into a happier person." I'd like to see something different within a main character for a change.

23. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I find it pretty hard to make any opinions based on a crappy advertisement. I think the two characters look cool, and the environments presented in the screenshots are pretty awesome. I can't wait to see more.

I totally agree. Give this some more time, what you're seeing is a few screenshots of the game. That's like deciding you dont like a game 3 seconds into playing it.

I've enjoyed the past FF games, I don't see why this should be any different. Give it some time.

I hope they keep in the ability to switch members in and out of battle. That was such a great feature.

24. Not_Applicable

Feb 15, 2002
    And about moody main characters... I'm kinda growing tired of that trend. It's always "moody at first, then the adventure changes them into a happier person." I'd like to see something different within a main character for a change.

I like moody characters because they remind me of myself. But you're right that having too many of them would be boring, as would constantly having an angelic heroine. Zidane and Tidus were pretty peppy, though.

One of the coolest things about FFX was how powerful you could make your characters. I logged roughly 120 hours on my first game just building up my party. No other FF game has kept me playing for so long. That's one aspect I really hope FFXII retains. Maybe they'll even go the Disgaea route and let you level up to 9999 (a guy can dream, right?).

25. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    FF games have a tendency to do a 3 per system deal, and then move on. If there is a FFXIII(which I'm sure there will be), do you think it'll be on PS2 or PS3?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.