main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Final Stand (sequel to Seeds of Resistance)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by anakinfansince1983 , Mar 21, 2011.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I screamed into my pillow, I'll dance after they figure out that it was his own family that poisoned him.

A cute name! and I am glad taht he is safe and I hope that he stays safe.

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    5 pound baby for two months early is pretty darn good!

that's an interesting way to explain the name Ben for Obi-Wan....and I think it'd work with canon.

3. iceaffinity

iceaffinity Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2010
    Aw, that was kind of sweet how they were using Jedi healing techniques to help Leia through the contractions.

"Did you have a baby or a ship?" [face_laugh] Only Han would make a baby sound like he just fixed the Falcon.

And such an adorable name! [face_love]

4. lost_lauries_grapes

lost_lauries_grapes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2006
    Thank you for giving him a proper name. I hate when people give their kids nicknames (I'm looking at you, Luke and Mara! [face_beatup])

LOL @ the ship comment. Loved it!

Peace,
    Bea

5. PadmeSkywalkerSHM

PadmeSkywalkerSHM Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 25, 2010
    The baby was born healthy!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!
    He mut be so adorable.

By the way a while back you said that your were going to do a L/M story for you. If you can't that's perfectly fine but I just brought it up in case you forgot. I actually feel like I'm forcing you too by bringing this up.

Love the ship comment!!!

6. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Yay for a healthy new baby boy! Glad Obi-Wan was able to help Leia out, and it was a very sweet moment for everyone. Whoohoo!

7. The-Solo-Smirk

The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 27, 2008
    ?It?s a boy,? he replied. ?Five pounds, two ounces, a hundred percent clean bill of health. All systems go.?

Lando laughed. ?Did you have a baby or a ship??

[face_laugh] I had to laugh hard about this!

So cute how everyone was pacing up and down at the hospital!

My mum had twins (I am one) and I dont want to think about that pregnancy or labour - it must have been awful!

8. Lady_Jedi93

Lady_Jedi93 Jedi Knight star 4

May 11, 2010
    :D Happiness! [face_love] Very sweet and I love the name.

9. DoubleEO

DoubleEO Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2010
    Awww, LOL about the beard. :D Glad that Ben arrived safely. Hope that nothing happens to them.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Lady_Misty: Glad you liked the name. :)

I'm leaving the issue with the Tarkins somewhat open for right now.

Jedi_Liz: Yeah, based on the calculations I was given during my pregnancies, Ben would have been a nine-pounder full term. (Half a pound a week the last trimester IIRC.) I've seen a lot of different fan fic explanations for the name Ben but have never found a canon one; it does seem most logical that he would have used his birth name though, unless he pulled a name out of thin air.

iceaffinity: Han speaks in ship analogies. :p I've known a few women who progressed too quickly to get an epidural; I thought the Force would be of some use here.

lost_lauries_grapes: I prefer proper names too, and I wanted to go completely AU on this one, especially given that none of the Solo children seem to have a very good destiny in the EU books.

Glad everyone liked the ship comment. :)

PadmeSkywalkerSHM: I definitely haven't forgotten; I need to re-read Vision of the Future first though, so it might be sometime in the fall.

Luna_Nightshade: Thanks. :) I didn't have full-blown labor with either of my kids (both C-sections) so I had to ad lib that part some.

The-Solo-Smirk: Parents of twins have all my respect, for both the labor and the newborn stage. And I think labor would even make the smooth Han Solo nervous. :p

Lady_Jedi93: Thanks! :)

DoubleEO: There hasn't been enough of Obi-Wan's dry wit lately. :D

I'm wrapping up this story; there will be an epilogue post after this one that ties up some loose ends (at least I hope it does). It should be up before I leave for vacation this weekend.

Thanks everyone for reading. :)

?And he?s still wide awake,? Han muttered, yawning. ?How are you doing this, kid? You were up half the night.?

Anakin stroked his grandson?s cheek with the back of a finger. ?He just wants to see the election results. Don?t you, Ben??

Anakin walked slowly around the living area of Han and Leia?s apartment, holding the baby. Han leaned back against the sofa cushions; Leia had fallen asleep on the other end of the sofa several minutes earlier. The Holonet blared in the background; the election for Chancellor was taking place at the moment, as well as elections for Senator on one third of all Republic systems.

?If you get tired of walking him, I?ll take over,? Han said, yawning again.

Anakin looked at the baby again. ?Does Grandpa ever get tired of taking care of you? No, not at all.? Ben met Anakin?s blue eyes with his own rapidly darkening ones, and smiled. ?Now that?s a good smile. Don?t let anyone tell you it?s just gas. They have no idea what they?re talking about.?

Han thought of Lando?s joke from a week earlier. That kid has to be the most powerful being in the galaxy. He?s turned a Navy Admiral, the Chancellor, the Royal House of Alderaan and half the Jedi into a big puddle of mush.

Anakin looked at Han. ?I?ll handle this. I got eight straight hours of sleep last night. You didn?t.?

Han nodded his thanks and yawned again. Ben snuggled against Anakin?s chest; Anakin ran a finger over his soft hair.

?This is the way your Mommy liked to be held,? he said. ?Your Uncle Luke was different. He got mad if he couldn?t see out the window.?

?How did you manage newborn twins?? Han asked.

Anakin laughed. ?I don?t remember,? he said. ?There was so much else going on at that time. It?s all a big blur, and not just due to sleep deprivation.?

?I suppose so,? Han said, glancing at the holovid player, with a reporter standing amongst a crowd of people outside the Senate Building.

?Han,? Anakin said. ?You?re about to fall asleep sitting up. Go to bed.?

Han opened his mouth to answer when the Holonet reporter interrupted. ?This just in,? she said. ?Chancellor Padme Amidala has won re-election by an overwhelming majority. 1846 votes in her favor, 154 against. I repeat, Chancellor Amidala has been re-elected.? Cheers erupte

11. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Amazing two posts! Loved Han's comments about the birth, and Lando's retort. Trust Han to describe it like a ship!

Padme won again, overwhelmingly. Too bad the Tarkins are still out there trying to make trouble. I don't think it will be quite as easy of a term as Padme hopes.

Baby Ben didn't let his parents get too much sleep did he? Han shouldn't worry, though, because Daddies soon learn to sleep through the night! I was amazed that Leia slept through all of that, though. I could never sleep when my kids were newborn; the second they were up, so was I, but my husband certainly was sleeping through the night within a week!

I loved Daddy Han worrying about Anakin flying with an open cockpit, it's a whole new side of him!

12. DarthCambius

DarthCambius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2007
    Caught up!!

I like how this is ending but I am sad this is ending at the same time. Perhaps that plot bunny will prove fruitful?

13. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Maybe I should send my infamous Shadow Warriors after the Tarkins. After all the Shadow Warriors are the best.

Aww! little Ben is so cute!

14. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Loved how Ben got introduced to the galaxy, and Padme's plans for the next four years. Lovely to see a bit of quiet here... even though there are stirrings of drama! Great update!

15. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    nice post...actually thought this was the Epilogue, but then you still have to wrap the open ended part with the Tarkins up.

16. lost_lauries_grapes

lost_lauries_grapes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2006
    That kid has to be the most powerful being in the galaxy. He?s turned a Navy Admiral, the Chancellor, the Royal House of Alderaan and half the Jedi into a big puddle of mush.

Well put, Lando!

Good luck with your goals, Padmé. I see the Tarkin's are up to their usual...which is going to make things difficult.

Peace,
    Bea

17. The-Solo-Smirk

Jun 27, 2008
    Adorable post! Everyone is cheerful and happy (or happy but tired). I just hope the epilogue will be as cheerful. We'll see! [face_mischief]

18. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    Wow, only a few days old and Ben is already taking after Padme? Staying up to pay attention to the elections? [face_laugh] Too cute. Also good to see Padme win reelection. It was clear she was going to, but still, good to see.

Really, this is a lovely note to end on, even if you still have a little bit more wrap up to go. Really, a wonderful story all the way through! [face_love]

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    dm1: I haven't read too much on Han with Jacen and Jaina (and Anakin Solo) but I thought fatherhood would change him, mellow him out some and make him more careful. As far as the sleeping--yeah, it shouldn't take him more than another week. [face_laugh] I didn't sleep that great when my kids were newborns either, I think I only managed it when my parents were there helping me out.

DarthCambius: I had planned to leave this in three parts but I am enjoying writing in this universe so much, so...it might.

Lady_Misty: You know Han and Leia would make a cute baby. :p

Luna_Nightshade: The galaxy is, regardless of the Tarkins, in much better shape than it has been. That won't stop the Tarkins from trying though.

Jedi_Liz: I've been debating whether I should have made this the epilogue, and it sort of is...for this part. The one I'm about to post is the epilogue for the entire series.

lost_lauries_grapes: Trust Lando to call it like it is. :p

The-Solo-Smirk: Thanks! As far as the epilogue...I'm afraid my best hope is that it will be satisfying. It ended up being less cheerful than I thought.

iceaffinity: I hadn't thought of him taking after Padme, but...yes. [face_laugh] And thank you! :)

A/N: I started this series as sort of a message to Anakin (if it's not too weird to send messages to fictional characters, but you follow I hope). The message was, "This is what your life could have been like, if you had trusted the people who really loved you, if you had trusted your instincts as Qui-Gon said, if you had been able to get help overcoming your fears." I hope the epilogue, why I ended it where I did, makes sense in that context. I also wanted to show how the other characters' lives would have been better--not necessarily easier (except for the lives of Obi-Wan and Yoda) but better--if ROTS had played out differently.

I've been writing this series for a year now and I've had so much fun with it that I have mixed feelings about letting it end. There are a few points that will come up in the epilogue, which could easily be expanded upon in a future story. But, I'm going back to work full-time in about three weeks after being a stay-at-home mom for six years, so any epic-length stories will have to be on hold for awhile. I'll have vignettes and short stories though (including yours, PadmeSkywalkerSHM). And Jedi Master Muse makes a pot of dark roast coffee when I least expect it. (He also drinks a fifth of tequila and passes out on a tropical beach when I least expect it, but that's another issue.)

To all of you who have stuck with me this long--thank you so, so much. [:D] [:D] I hope this has been as fun for you to read as it has been for me to write.

And for the Mara fans, on the epilogue: don't hate me. [face_praying]

Epilogue

Naboo, 30 years later

Outside the Varykino lake retreat, several men stood watch.

Inside, in one of the larger sitting areas, the Queen of Alderaan and the Fleet Admiral of the Republic Navy stood silently, morosely, waiting for their spouses. Every few minutes one of their children would enter the room and whisper, ?Any word?? So far the only response had been a sad shake of the head.

In an adjoining bedroom, Anakin Skywalker lay dying, his children on either side of him. His breathing grew slower, more labored by the minute.

?It won?t be long now,? Leia said quietly, stroking her father?s hair.

?No,? Luke said, taking Anakin?s organic hand in both of his own. ?And he?s ready.?

?He?s been ready for awhile. Ever since Mom?? Leia broke off. Anakin?s health had begun to go downhill after Obi-Wan?s death five years earlier, but when Padme died, Anakin?s decline accelerated rapidly. The man who existed in the nine months since her passing was a sad shell of his former self, a recluse, often plagued by illness.

The official diagnosis by his medical droid was a ?failing heart.? To the chagrin of his wife an

20. PadmeSkywalkerSHM

PadmeSkywalkerSHM Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 25, 2010
    Sorry I didn't reply to the other post. Im happy you didn't forget about my Mara story. Make sure to PM me when that comes out.

So this is the end of the series. I was waiting for ventress or even Palpatine to rise from the dead and take over the universe. Too bad for me! Anway I'm kind of sad that it's over.

Being a Mara fan, the ending with Alys didn't bother me. I've grown to like her and as long as Mara wasn't in the story I was perfectly fine with her being with Luke.

In the post I missed replying to Ben and Anakin were just soooo cute and at the end with Padme saying how she wanted children to know war only from like history that was just adorable and would make almost anyone want her to be Chancellor.

21. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    A beautiful ending!

No sons for Luke?

22. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    Going back to work full time? Does that mean you got a librarian position? :confused: I hope so!

Beautiful ending. A little sad, considering, but in that good kind of way - you really gave Anakin a life well lived in this story. The last image of them all together as Force ghosts was really such a nice, final note to end on.

Wonderful story, and I've really enjoyed it. [face_love] @};-

23. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    First of all, congratulations on your new job. I hope it's very satisfying. Jobs aren't easy to find these days, either. Anyway, good luck!

Wow, this story arc was phenomenal! I love your version of Anakin, still had a temper, sometimes let it get the better of him, but was always able to see reason in the end. He was much more mature than the canon version, who never seemed to get out of adolescence.

The end, while bittersweet, was the proper way to end this story. It's not uncommon for surviving spouses to die soon after; it's their other half that is gone. I'm glad the people of Eriadu finally threw off the Tarkin yoke.

Well done! I will miss this story, but I'm glad you were able to finish it up before the craziness of full-time work, followed by full-time parenthood hits. I do hope you are able to continue with some short stories or vignettes, as I really enjoy your writing.
    =D= @};- [:D]

24. The-Solo-Smirk

Jun 27, 2008
    30 years later...wow! I always wondered if humans have higher life expectancy in the SW universe, judging by the fab 3's age during NJO and beyond!

Thank you so much for sharing your stories with us and also for posting on time - 'I hate long waits' [face_mischief]

Any new stories planned? Please give me a shout in case you start a new story in the future! @};-

25. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    You said Mara fans, don't hate you...

for what? giving Ben Solo his grandfather's lightsaber?
    For marrying Luke to Alys? (I think most of the Mara fans reading this knew that would happen)

I thought Leia would have had at least one more child. And Luke could have had a boy, too. ;)

Bittersweet ending, but in a way, it did end fine. At least Anakin was reunited with his love.