main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST Finalizer (Lives of the Officers and Petty Officers Aboard the First Order Star Destroyer) [6/13/16]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RX_Sith, May 24, 2016.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Author: RX_Sith
    Characters: All of the Characters from TFA and some OC's.
    Timeframe: During and after TFA
    Rating: PG-13
    Genre: Drama
    Summary: The continuing adventures of our characters and more including some OC's in a galaxy far, far away.

Finalizer

My name is Petty Officer Geras Perocan and today is my first day of duty aboard the First Order Star Destroyer Finalizer; the flagship of the First Order. I am truly excited as I get to start my Imperial career on the finest ship in the fleet. I look forward to the many duties that I will have to perform on the ship.

"Welcome," Colonel Pippatt stated to all of us who stood in the ranks on the flight deck as he addressed all of the new transfers who had just arrived like myself, "You will be now be divided according to your specialties. Please report to the corresponding division officer for your duty assignment."

As he read off the names of the 1,000 new people assigned to the ship, he finally reached my name, "Petty Officer Perocan, you will report to the weapons officer, Colonel Ruttler." As I went to where the others assigned to weapons were located, he finally concluded assigning everyone to their respective divisions. I went with my group towards the forward laser cannons.

Each one glistened inside the marbled blackness of the corridors. I received ten black Imperial Petty Officer uniforms and was told that I was responsible for their care and headed then towards our berthing area. It was a large bay area with racks for beds that stood three high with coffin lockers under the first and middle rack and a stand-up locker for the top bunk. Since I was lucky enough to be one of the first placed into the berthing area, I was able to select the middle rack that was the easiest to get into and pulled the black curtains away to see the similarly colored black sheeting and pillowcase.

It was black everyone with red lighting inside. The First Order obviously loved the color black for its simplicity and darkness conveyed by its color. It was a color that I had been use to during my boot camp days.

I used one of the ten freshers located in the fresher room and prepared to meet back with everyone else in my division at 1700 hours. Luckily, I still had time to go to the galley and eat. They serve Imperial Soup which featured Black Eyed Peas, and Fried Mynock that was about as tasty as a rubber flask.

I finished my food as fast as possible and then assembled with my other crewmembers in the Weapons Division. "Petty Officer Perocan," Colonel Ruttler, stated my name ominously, "You will start the Dog Shift tonight from 0000 to 0800 hours. Go get some rest, you're going to need it."

With that, I was dismissed so I could catch just a few hours of sleep before my shift duty. I climbed into my rack, shut the black curtains and tried to get some sleep before my shift started.

To Be Continued...

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Intriguing concept.

Title pulled me in from perusing the thread list, nicely written, well detailed and certainly seemed like a "day in the life" entry.

Good addressing of the First Order's love of black, and describing the bunk / locker dynamics.

RX_Sith likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Very nice details of getting acclimated. Crisp and stark surroundings and of course the newest member gets the most unwanted shift or perhaps the one that is thought to be the least likely to have something unexpected and unpleasant occur.

RX_Sith and Sith-I-5 like this.
  4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    The Finalizer should be renamed the Tarkin or Veers or Piett. So much better.

RX_Sith likes this.
  5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Sith-I-5

Black is and always will be the First Order's primary color, with grey and red coming in a close second. :)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

The Dog Shift is the one usually with the least amount of stuff happening, but sometimes the exact opposite occurs. :D

Darth Basin

With Vader featured so prominently, Tarkin would probably be the number one choice, but Finalizer has a rather finishing word. [face_thinking]

The Dog Shift was long and boring for my first watch aboard the Finalizer. I looked at gauges and adjusted dials and switches and transferred fuel from one location aboard the ship to another. Very automated and very important in the process of ensuring that all levels are within there designated settings, but still quite boring to someone who has done it a lot of times each shift.

In the morning, General Hux himself addressed everyone who had just came aboard the ship and told everyone to "Respect the First Order," he barked out, "This is the ultimate rule, first and foremost. Those appointed above you whether they be an Officer, Petty Officer, or even a Stormtrooper, you will obey their orders as if they came from myself."

He was very sincere and seemed to rule with an iron fist aboard the ship. As for the mysterious Kylo Ren, so far, none of us have seen the Dark Lord or even Supreme Leader Snoke. Maybe that was a good thing, but in a way, we all wanted to see the one who had destroyed all of the Jedi except for Luke Skywalker. He was already a Legend among the ship and being that it was his ship, we greatly anticipated any glimpse of his evil presence.

I finally crawled into my rack and fell into a deep sleep. Unfortunately, after a few hours, the klaxons on the ship began to rang awakening me from some much needed sleep. I quickly awoke as General Quarters was announced and I hurried to my designated location for the emergency situation; the Bridge of the Finalizer. There, in all of his awesomeness strode Kylo Ren, as he paced back in forth in his black cloak. I was pleased to see him in person as he looked at the red beam of light emerging from Starkiller Base.

The red beam of light shown across his visor like an eerie crimson red streak of blood surging towards its target; the Hosnian system where the Rebellion would be destroyed once and for all. We cheered as the beam split apart ripping each planet within the system to shreds. The Rebels had lost. The First Order was victorious. We continued to cheer as the assault was now ordered on a new target; one that the illustrious Han Solo and the traitor Finn had been tracked to.

We were now launching towards their imminent destruction as well. The feeling of finality soared within all of us as we monitored the combat mission. This would be a great day for the First Order.

To Be Continued...

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Nice update. Good descriptions in the first three paragraphs.

Don't know what the channelling fuel from one place to another is in aid of, but good detail for what he did on his shift.

So your protagonist is consciously a bad guy? That is the impression you give when describing Kylo Ren's evil presence, and wanting to see it.

Was that deliberate or an overstep?

When writing my own TFA fic, I am reluctant to adopt the film's frankly ****-**** (cattle crap) physics, so I understand that you are staying consistent with what is shown on the screen, but nobody aboard the Finaliser, if seeing the shot leaving Starkiller Base, should see it hit Hosnian Prime.

Perhaps the ship can be in the Hosnian system, and someone briefs the crew that the red streak is from Starkiller Base.

There do seem to be some contradictions that it would be good for characters to notice and address, eg.

Geras: "So what, we fired that?"

Person: "Yep."

Geras: "So it's not strictly an emergency situation then. I mean, for them, sure."

RX_Sith likes this.