main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Finally, Aliens in the Empire Part 3? Handley and Peña are on a Roll!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Plaristes, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    TZizvvt pls

2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Okay, let's not validate Karen Traviss's accusations of Naziism among fandom any more than necessary. You and Pablo strenuously disagree about the measurements of some make-believe ships, and have used some heated language in the process. Got it. Understood. That's not an excuse to dehumanize the man.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Edit: Nvm, don't want to open this can of worms...

Contessa likes this.
  4. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Yeah, we've got enough people in the fandom validating it as it is.

Seemed appropriate to me before your edit. I hate Starkiller, but Mary/Gary Stu gets thrown around way too easily these days, and extremely unfairly in who's fair game and who's "just being an interesting character."

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The term has lost all meaning, but I can imagine what the response would be, and I just don't want to get bogged down in an argument of semantics because I really don't care enough and I know that it's just a rubber stamp to "objectively legitimize" what is ultimately an opinion.

I've honestly lost all patience for the myriad of complaints here that pretend to be based on principle, but really aren't. Oh well. The EU fandom has become the Grand Inquisitor. If Luke Skywalker was an EU character, he would be hated.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  6. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013
    Mara Jade doesn't count, since she came to the academy later with Cilghal and Kyp. I don't really count Harlan as a character...she's just a role-playing example, isn't she? I'd actually prefer the two missing inaugural members to be non-Human characters, but I doubt we'll ever get a final say on who they are.

Eyrezer likes this.
  7. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Human but non-white characters would be preferable.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would like for one of them to be Halla, I like that old charlatan

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Most people's problem with Starkiller has more to do with his supposed involvement in the founding of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, which I pointed out in the Rebels thread in describing why the original version meant something to most fans, than anything else about him. Though there are plenty of people who still hate him as a character too. I myself am not really that fond of him, which is part of the reason why I can so easily reject TFU.

10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Godwin's Law already? Wow.

Disrespecting authors and treating certain fans poorly does not a good LFL employee make. Especially not one engaged in fan-firm relations. Pablo is an employee who abuses his position, not a victim.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Even supposing you're right, how constructive is it to keep dredging it up? Take the higher road -- if you feel you and your cohorts were mistreated, then do better than what was done to you.

I'm not asking you to be friends with the guy or anything, nor to hold back criticism (if we weren't critical, we probably wouldn't be fans) but to leave the criticism on the actual decisions themselves and not on the person. A bunch of us have been unhappy with the casual de-canonizing for no explained reason and have said so -- and that's fine. A few have made it more personal, and that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It also makes it less likely that we'll be listened to and more likely we'll look like "rabid fans" or whatever that negative stereotype that sometimes pops up is.

12. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Why not? I've noticed Hidalgo do it from time to time over the years. Obviously it doesn't bother him to bring it up in a snarky manner now and then.

I wish I had cohorts. Btw, never talked to the man, myself.

Sorry, being in an official position does not exempt someone from personal criticism. Just look at Traviss and Saxton and how they were treated by some LFL officials and certain segments of the fandom to this day.

13. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003

I think you should go with Tionne.

14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Did Mara count as a member of the original twelve? I thought she was excluded.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I have Tionne listed as one of the original twelve.

Kyle was a member? I thought he was on the outs with being a Jedi after Mysteries of the Sith.

16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

I can't believe I forgot Tionne!

1. Gantoris - replaced by Kyp Durron and Cilghal
    2. Streen
    3. Kam Solusar
    4. Corran Horn/Keiran Halcyon
    5. Dorsk 81
    6. Kirana Ti
    7. Brakiss
    8. Kyle Katarn
    9. Tionne
    10. Madurrin
    11. Keyan Farlander? or Dal Konur? or Harvet Storm? or Ken?
    12. Harlan

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, I see the story - Kyle joined the Academy and left after Exar Kun's defeat.

18. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I want to say that the NEGTC placed MOTS before JAT, and had Kyle joining as a means of dealing with his issues from MOTS. But I might be misremembering.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    That is correct -- MOTS was concurrent with Dark Empire.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We talking about the original students on Yavin or just the first people he trained? Because if the latter, then surely the Ysanna siblings count, along with Sibwarra from way back. None of the lived to see the Praxeum though.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

21. Protectorate

Dec 11, 2013

We're talking about the inaugural class from JAT, which was 12 students. We don't know all of them, so there's speculation about the two missing ones.

I still say that Harlan doesn't count. She's a stand-in Role-playing example, not an actual character.

22. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    According to the Wookieepedia, Leland Chee said he didn't think of her as a real character. But I don't think that stops some authoer from making her official. A few sample characters over the years have become "real."

23. Protectorate

Dec 11, 2013
    Even if she is more than a RP stand-in, there's nothing in the JAT Sourcebook which requires her to be a member of the original 12. At least Dal Konur can be tied to training alongside other inaugural members, all we know of Harlan is that she learned some RP skills.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do Kyle Katarn really count as part of the O12? Or is he, like Captain America, an original member inspite that he come after the others ?

25. Protectorate

Dec 11, 2013

We didn't originally know that he was an inaugural member. He isn't mentioned in JAT or I, Jedi. But, The Dark Forces Saga, a RP supplement on WotC clarified that he was an inaugural member, even becoming friends with Corran. Though why that was never mentioned in I, Jedi, who knows. TDFS says that Katarn left after Gantoris and Kyp fell to the dark side, probably around the same time that Brakiss left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.