main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Finally joining a SW forum

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by AndyLGR, May 7, 2014.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'm a long time fan of SW from the UK.

I can't recall seeing the original before ESB, but I was well aware of it at school and had the SW story book and some figures. So seeing ESB at the cinema is one of the best experiences that I can remember as a child (I was only 7 at the time). In fact my dad taking me to see that and ROTJ are life experiences that as a dad myself I had to share by taking my own son to see AOTC, ROTS and TCW at the cinema.

As a slightly older fan then there was some slight disappointment at the PT and that all the ideas I had in my head from a kid about how Vader came to be didn't reflect what was shown on the screen. However it didn't dampen my joy at seeing SW back on the big screen. Yet the true test of those films is that my son watched and loved them like I did the OT.

I'm also old enough to remember that for the period after ROTJ it looked like SW was dead. So its great that it finally got resurrected with the advent of the EU in the early 90's. I've collected the majority of the EU books (with the exception of the Legacy of the Force and The New Jedi Order) which I found to be too long a series. But overall I still think the Thrawn trilogy and Shadows of the Empire are the books that set the bar high for the EU.

I've enjoyed TCW cartoon and I'm looking forward to Rebels to continue to expand upon the stories and characters we love.

Its funny that as I get older my kids and Mrs often jokingly call me a geek, but the reality is that for many people like me SW was a life changing event that these days I think its hard to replicate. There are so many other things that kids can focus on now so the cultural impact will never be the same again. So I am more than happy to have been around at the time of the OT. I am equally as happy to embrace the fact that I may be a SW geek, collecting the books, watching the films and cartoons and looking forward to the ST with all the enthusiasm of that 7 year old who went to see ESB back in 1980.

Gamma626 likes this.
  2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome, Andy! If you haven't already, you should pop into Star Wars TV and see what they have going on in there. And please don't hesitate to ask any questions!

3. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Welcome. It was life changing for our family as well.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

4. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Welcome! Star Wars certainly is a life changing experience. I was five when Phantom Menace came out, and seeing it on opening night is a VERY distinct memory. IT was a wonderful moment!