main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finally the Vader vs Maul debate is laid to rest.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sitara, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    The fact of the matter is, with weapons such as lightsabers [if it were a non-force power duel], speed is what counts.

Negative.
    This is proven incorrect in RotS, in the Grevious Obi-Wan duel. Grevious was far faster, but didn't win did he?

2. primetime

primetime Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    I have enjoyed reading this thread and there are strong arguments on either side. I wouldn't say that Vader would be able to force-choke Maul since Maul is adept at using the dark side of the force but that Vader's knowledge of the force would probably end up aiding him somehow. However, I'd say that DooKoo could take out Maul quite easily because of his lightning skills.

3. Jedi_Coleman_Trebor

Jedi_Coleman_Trebor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    Negative.
    This is proven incorrect in RotS, in the Grevious Obi-Wan duel. Grevious was far faster, but didn't win did he?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grievous was also idiocy and cowardice at it's finest.

Strike-and-run tactics are not NEARLY enough to even be considered useful against someone who had trained their whole life with a weapon. Have as many weapons as you want, the less training you have, the less advantage you will have against a master of a particular weapon.

Maul and Vader were life-long Jedi/Sith. Grievous has no place in this discussion.

4. Kad_Ath

Kad_Ath Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    Niether speed nor strength is the deciding factor in a Lightsaber Duel.

As hard as this may be for many people to understand if they have never had any weapons training is that raw physical abilities are only tools, just like technique. They WAY you fight, the believablility of fients, the repetitveness of your motions, how well you anticipate the motions of your enemy all these things are equal.

It all seems simple until you have to actually do it. Speend and strength help but are not defining of who will win a battle.

EDIT: Besides in EU, its been decided :p So IF you believe that stuff, you have your answer.

5. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    DS615, do you have a clown fetish?

By the way, Maul defeated Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan easily. He was toying with them until the end when it stopped being fun for him. Read Episode 1 the book and it'll explain how Qui-Gon never felt like he and Obi-Wan were in control of the fight. It was always Maul who seemed to guide them wherever he wanted and it was Maul who controlled the tempo of the entire fight.

Suited Vader would never have stood a chance against Maul.
    Anakin/Vader,however, would beat Maul.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. By the time Maul was done, what's left of Vader would be scrap metal. Anakin on the other hand anihilate Maul.

7. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    I wouldn't be so sure. If you are referring to vader form the origanal trilogy, then yeah, probably he would lose, because he would be much older and therefore less agile and more prone to weakness..... or so i figure. However, you can't compare apples an oranges. So, what makes suited vader so much worse than anakin? just because we never see him kick butt? note, we don't know what happens specifically and how he fights in between the two trilogies.

8. Jedi_Coleman_Trebor

Jedi_Coleman_Trebor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    Niether speed nor strength is the deciding factor in a Lightsaber Duel.

As hard as this may be for many people to understand if they have never had any weapons training is that raw physical abilities are only tools, just like technique. They WAY you fight, the believablility of fients, the repetitveness of your motions, how well you anticipate the motions of your enemy all these things are equal.

It all seems simple until you have to actually do it. Speend and strength help but are not defining of who will win a battle.

EDIT: Besides in EU, its been decided :p So IF you believe that stuff, you have your answer.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You want to try feinting punches against me, and then hitting me, after zero training????? Watch a street-boxing match. I guarantee you, their punches come from side to side, and hit like one would, say if you were making fun of someone and imitating a "girl's punch" [not being sexist, girls have kicked my ass before, but I remember how we used to do that as children]. Repetetiveness in a fight will only get you killed, and anticipation comes with training. I can promise that you will probably never find a man who can read someone's movements the way a trained MASTER can.

Since Maul and Vader were both trained in the ways of the Jedi and Sith, it DOES come down to the speed and strength.

9. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    " Since Maul and Vader were both trained in the ways of the Jedi and Sith, it DOES come down to the speed and strength. "

That would be assuming both Vader and Maul were equal in terms of Jedi and Sith abilities.

10. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004

Except for one small thing.

Vader is the son of the GFFA God. He's a demigod. Stronger in the Force than ANYONE.

Maul is a chump.

11. dat_dude

dat_dude Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    Yep! Maul did nothing. Nothing at all. He got cut in half and fell down a hole.
    He is just a overhyped Gymnast.

What did Vader do. He just co-ruled the Galaxy, for 20 years.

If Maul was better than Vader he would not be rotting in a bottom of some hole.

12. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Maul and Vader were life-long Jedi/Sith. Grievous has no place in this discussion.

Ah, I see. So what you're saying is, that when you make a statement, and someone flat out proves it false, then it just doesn't count. Interesting.

You said flat out that "speed is all that matters in a saber duel".
    I proved you wrong. Grevious is faster than Obi-Wan, and yet he lost. You're statement is incorrect.
    Concession accepted.

DS615, do you have a clown fetish?

What? Oh, this is in response to me calling your super-hero a clown, right?
    Sorry it offends you, but the description is accurate.
    He a goffball with a painted face, he wears floppy clothes, carries a toy, and makes me laugh. He's a clown. And he's not even a very good one.

13. kingkyle18

kingkyle18 Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2005
    vader has better force skills and anger drives him to power

maul is fast and agile if he was not killed off he would have became even more powerful.

14. BATTLELION

BATTLELION Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Darth Vader?

oh that is like SOOOO 1977

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.