main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finally watching The Clone Wars theatrical movie...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KeithyT, May 26, 2014.

1. Galactic Fenix

Galactic Fenix Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 23, 2015

Really? Hmm, I wonder what led Lucas to think it was a good idea to make the episodes a theatrical movie. I don't think honestly that it would've made much of difference whether on TV or in theaters, it probably didn't make a ton of people more interested in the series. In fact it seems to have turned most people off. Even I was hesitant and that's what took me so long to give the show a try.

But maybe the TCW crew got some extra money to use on improving things or something. -shrugs-

I do understand however why they'd pick the first 3 episodes for the movie, it was the introduction of Ahsoka after all. If they did somewhere in the middle people would be so confused by who she was.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Money and he thought he could get more people into the series.

3. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    There's a major difference tho: TCW 2008 was a feature length film, while Spark was only 43 minutes. Hindsight being 20/20, TCW's premiere adventure should also have been 44 minutes, not 98. I wonder if the audience just needed less content thrown at them. TCW was usually successful with two-ep events (season premieres or double features) and two-ep arcs (Most Dangerous Game arc, Domino Squad arc).
    If anything, it established Ahsoka, and quite well imho.
    Oh, totally! I even upgraded and bought the bluray last Xmas. I rarely watch it in entirety. Usually its Christophsis or ...Rotta. [face_sigh]

You know what would be funny? If Rotta was featured somewhere else in canon, like the new Darth Vader comics. "If you value that creature's your Punky Muffin's life, you should tell it to never again do that in my presence."

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  4. Galactic Fenix

Galactic Fenix Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    Jedi Knight Fett, Yeah, that majorly back fired on him. You'd think having Star Wars in the title would simply be enough.

I actually think Rebels might be what's actually getting people interested in Clone Wars, funnily enough. That's what got me interested, that and I didn't want to be out of the loop with the connections the two shows have.

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The New Padawan
    Castle of Doom
    Castle of Deception
    Castle of Salvation

6. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I don't think money was a reason for Lucas to push for a TCW theatrical premiere, according to The Art of the Clone Wars book Lucas spoke to Catherine Winder one night at Skywalker Ranch telling her "We should really be considering doing this for the big screen". As production on the show was in full swing, Lucas was very impressed with the crew's efforts and thought the first four episodes were worthy of a theatrical release. It was a risk which clearly did not pay off, but I don't think Lucas cared. It was more of a grand gesture based on how much he appreciated the crew's efforts. He wasn't kicking off a series of movies, he was kicking off a TV series, and I think the financial performance of the movie mattered little - I'm sure it was more akin to a big commercial for the TV series in Lucas's mind.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ha I agree It also reminds me how the moment the show ended there was a lot less negativity towards TCW.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I think that if Lucas had gone with his original plan to release the movie as episodes, they would have been better received in that format.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Those are lame episode titles :p

10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Too many Castles, known of which star Stana Kanic.

11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    According to Wookieepedia The New Padawan was originally going to be a flashback episode like the other two Christophsis episodes.

Just imagine that the Castle trilogy had kicked off the series. We'd get no intro to Ahsoka, no awesome battle, no awesome battle music. It would have been a weird way to start a series, without explaining anything.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I love the movie. It's got great battle scenes and introduces us to the conflict and characters in a fantastic way.