main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

finally went to see LOTR yesterday evening...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by quillan, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quillan

quillan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    after meaning to get to the cinema a couple of times to see the flick i finally managed to catch it yesterday evening with my sis.
    and i'm sorry if this goes against the grain but i was....underwhelmed.
    i know alot of you have pontificated long and loud about it and i went with an open mind but well what can i say, it was alright, some good parts (highlight was the chase with liv tyler)but overall it just seemed a little too pleased with itself,
    and without seeming to be biased it's not in the same class as ESB.
    good solid performances for the most part yes, chris lee very impressive though i do think he'll be EVEN MORE impressive in AOTC after reading some of his lines off the spoilers forums, i wouldn't write AOTC off just yet, infact would go as far to say i'm quietly confident.
    sorry if this offends anyone.

2. The_Conductor

The_Conductor Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2002
    Of course, it would have been much better if I had had the time to contribute a score, but I had prior engagements sadly

3. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    I don't think it was better than ESB, but as a triliogy it will probably be better than Star Wars cause ROTJ had ewoks in it. The Two Towers and TheReturn of the King will have Gollum. :D

4. quillan

Oct 28, 2001
    funny you should mention that but THE SCORE WAS one of my major gripes with the film, thought it was piss weak and the enya vocal actually stood out!!

5. Beckymonster

Beckymonster Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    Speaking as one who adores LotR... Not offended at all, freedom of speech and all of that malarkey.

We're all different and will see things in different ways.

I'm with you on AotC. I've read the synopsis and if they get it right... I'm thinking a lot of the p'oed fanboys (after TPM) will come back to the 'fold'.

But I know where you're coming from - I must have been one of the only people around who loves TPM... and will willingly admit to it too! :D

6. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    I must admit for the first half of FOTR the score was weak. Got better in the second half.

7. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    Quillan, I saw LOTR and just found it boring. The book works well as a 'journey' because it slowly draws you in. The fun of reading a book is to be transported along with the main characters. The conclusion isn't necessarily the most important thing. You go along for the ride .

In a film, I want tension, action, excitement and then a satisfactory climax and the resumption of everything.

Jackson's film tried to give a bit of both but really failed on both counts. IMHO. Worse, the characters were just too one-dimensional. We never get to care about anyone other than Frodo or Gandalf... Legolas? Boromir? Gimli? All generally extraneous...

I got loads more criticisms too. But if I start posting those I'll get flamed again...! :)

8. quillan

Oct 28, 2001
    the thing is right, i know a few non star wars fans who went to see TPM and then went back and seen it three or even four times again before it left the cinema. it had its faults but the pure thrill, hairs standing up on the back of your neck ride of the final duel and the podrace kept these people going back, LOTR just did'nt leave me or them with the same rush. course they all slag TPM now so don't know if thats a good or bad thing after all!

9. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    TPM wasn't a crap film. Just that Lucas could have told the same story with one hour cut out. He dragged bits on for too long. IMHO, Lucas dragged out scenes just to show off special effects. The swimming to the Gungan city for instance. How unecessary was that? And the dialouge was poor. The Pod race and the final duel was stunning but there were too many plodding parts. FOTR started slowly but gathered in pace really well.

And I would class myself a Star Wars fan rather than a LOTR fan.

10. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    I thought it was a good film (FotR that is). I'm not rabid for the books or the world (though I have read them), but I appreciate a good story and at least remembered most of what went on and how they interacted.

The difference between LotR and the classic SW trilogy is that the former is designed as a big whole story (split into 3 parts) whereas each SW film is far more its own entity and can stand alone by itself. I will give verdict on LotR in two years time when all 3 parts have been released...

11. quillan

Oct 28, 2001
    where it really dragged for me eric was the whole jedi council and senate meeting carry-on, just hope it was all needed to enjoy eps 2 and 3 more.
    i'm not here to kick start any anti-LOTR feelings, i read the thing many years ago and loved it but it (the film) just wasn't fantastic, good but not great. watch out for chris lee in AOTC i'm telling you he's going to be awesome, trust me

12. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    I thought some of the score was excellent - the bit where you follow those bird/bat things into Isengard was excellent!

I think what I enjoyed most about it was the performances. There were a couple I didn't think much of eg Elijah Wood, but I don't think much of him anyway, and Orlando Bloom, but he wasn't really given that much to do anyway. Ian McKellan and Christopher Lee were both fantastic, and I also really enjoy John Rhys-Davies or whatever he was called as Gimli.

I thought some bits of the plot were a bit slow... but thankfully they cut out Tom Bombadil who I cannae stand and all the fantastic food nonsense and songs!

Beautiful cinematography as well!

And of course there was the Mines of Moria :D

13. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    Well, I've stated in another thread that I liked the film but I still think all this '5 star, best film ever' talk is a load of pap.

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    My views on FotR can be summarised as follows.

A visual treat, but a poor film

I enjoyed the FX and, Ian McKellen's performance (and Strider's for that matter), but as a film, I found it lacking. Is this perhaps because I haven't read the books? If so, then that confirms my theory that it wasn't a "good film", 'cos I strongly believe that you shouldn't have to read the book before seeing the film. This last comment can also be applied to HP

15. Capt-Mentalist

Capt-Mentalist Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Heathens , i'll hunt you down and kill you like the dogs you are ... growl and whatnot . LOTR rules you all ... all your base belong to tolkien .

16. DARK_SCORE

Oct 26, 2000
    The reason LOTR fails, IMHO:

To this day, I still want to be a Jedi...

... who the **** wants to be a hobbit?!?

:D

17. Capt-Mentalist

Capt-Mentalist Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    I dun , I wanna be a ranger like aragorn , AND he kicks ass without and magical abilities ... more realistic :p

18. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    Maybe, but as LOTR is told through the eyes of the hobbits and Star Wars is told through the eyes of the droids, I don't really want to be 3P0. However, I would want to be a member of the Istari! :D

19. pdubyuh

pdubyuh Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2000
    it was the pace that was all wrong for me, all the individual scenes I thought were good, but i just didn't get the over all feeling that i thought i would. I hate to say it but when I left the i was well... underwhelmed

20. quillan

Oct 28, 2001
    the landscape and visual fx shots in last nights final part of Shackleton on channel four blew away anything i saw in LotR, what was most impressive was that most of them were real, anyone else catch it last night?

21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well on the whole, this thread gives me a feeling of "I told you so"

Months ago, I was being flamed and shot down by pretty much the whole world for saying that I didnt thing LotR was going to be the film that everyone thought it would be. People said "Shut up, FishBoy. This is going to be the greatest film ever made, and nothing will ever beat it". I remained calm and pointed out that all films made from books never do the books justice, only to be told "You don't kow what you're talking about"

And the feeling I get from this thread is "underwhelmed"

So, then you are then.

22. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    But of course this thread is mainly a discussion between people who were in some way underwhelmed by the film. Only idiots expected it to be perfect, and anyone who did had to be dissappointed.

I thought it was going to be a dead good film, and in the end it was indeed one of the most ripsonorting rollercoasters of adventure I've ever seen.

23. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    here here. Ithere was a thread for the people who liked the film.

24. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    Twas damn good and I love it immensely. No underwhelming here!!

25. DARK_SCORE

Oct 26, 2000
    My mate went to see it last night and this is what he emailed me this morning:

I was never a part of the LOTR thing when I was young, and I came out of the
    film last night with a sore arse thinking what's the big deal? Yeah, it
    looked good, but apart from that, what can you say about it? I did not find
    it in the least bit exciting, and most of the characters were dull. By the
    end, I was sick of hearing the name Frodo! Dan said he thought it was miles
    better than TPM, and maybe I'm biased but I just can't see it. The pod race
    alone makes TPM **** on LOTR.

I agree wholeheartedly... And for your information, I went into the cinema with lowered hopes after reading several negative reviews (this was b4 Christmas). The prologue was great and I was gripped but as soon as I saw Elijah Wood's forced smile, cripplingly bad acting and the lame attempt at a joke between him and Gandalf the whole thing rapidly spiralled downwards...

Maybe you'd like it if you like folk and wear a hemp-flavoured cardigan...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.