main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

finally went to see LOTR yesterday evening...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by quillan, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    quillan!!!! I totally agree!!! Gaaah, I even started a thread about this in the JCC. Thank you, thank you...I thought I was the only one left unimpressed with LOTR. :)

2. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    I'd always gladly step up to the plate in a LOTR bashing discussion.

Boring, flat, clumsy, over-inflated, portentous, stodgy, unfunny, self-important piece of... etc

3. quillan

quillan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    you're welcome yankee, checked out a review of LotR last night in the NME and it was the first one i've seen in the media that was less than impressed, they called it "smug" among other things. tell me have you seen vanilla sky yet? my sis in law who lives in florida has been to see it and didn't like it but then she liked planet of the apes!!
    my final word on LotR is that i had read in print and around these rooms too that the ending of the movie had you on the edge of your seat breathless for the second film and rivalled the ending of ESB, do me a favour, the plight of those two REALLY annoying captured hobbits Pip and the other one who i can't remember compared to han in carbonite...........

4. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    I went to watch LOTR again yesterday and all I can say wasit is brilliant. How many sword fights are there? The only bit I found slow in the whole film was when they reach the forest and Frodo looks into the mirror and offers Gadriel the ring. The rest is non stop action.

5. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Comparing LOTR to ESB is insulting. Hmmm..."No, I am your father" vs. "Frodo, I promised to stay with you...." or Han entombed in carbonite, vs. "We better save those two hi-jinxin' hobbits from those horse people".

No contest. :D

6. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeah the comparison is insulting....for LOTR ;) I started crying during the ending actually...especially when Sam almost drowned and then Frodo pulled him up...Awww man! :(

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Anyone recognise Sam from Toy Soldiers - that brilliant film where Wil Wheaton gets mown down with a machine gun!

8. Capt-Mentalist

Capt-Mentalist Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Actually Halibut , you'd most likey recognise him from the Goonies .

9. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    i had read in print and around these rooms too that the ending of the movie had you on the edge of your seat breathless for the second film and rivalled the ending of ESB, do me a favour, the plight of those two REALLY annoying captured hobbits Pip and the other one who i can't remember compared to han in carbonite...........

What's wrong? People not entitled to their opinions if they don't happen to favour Star Wars for something else? Do me a favour...

10. Capt-Mentalist

Oct 8, 2001
    Hey Poodu , its not your fault thier slobbering Lucas slave's ;)

Us enlightened LOTR fans can just laugh at 'em when AOTC suck , and TTT kicks its sorry arse around the box office .

11. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    I recognised Sean Astin right away but couldnt quite believe it was him cuz I dont really rate him as an actor...

...even though Goonies was Excellent and so was Toy Soldiers (which I havent seen in an age).

12. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    I can't remember Toy Soldiers? What's that all about? Apart from toys that are soldiers.

13. hanshootsfirst

hanshootsfirst Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2001
    "....The rest is non-stop action."

Therein lies the problem with LOTR in my opinion. It's all literal...the external journey...a supremely WELL ACTED editorial...

The hero journey of Frodo seemed incidental. I know it's a huge story and virtually impossible to do justice to on film, but hey, if Jackson had the chops to make so many moments work, he could have reassured us as we were being bombarded with character after character and storyline after storyline, history, backstory,etc. that this was a story about someone/something other than a news flash with human interest and a bunch of bad guys who I understood intellectually (well, not the Uruk'ai: I've read the books multiple times...what the hell was that?) but couldn't keep sustained as an actual threat. If this thing wins a Golden Globe or, God love us all, a Best Picture Oscar, my disbelief in everyone's reaction to this film will transcend the absurd and enter the realm of the sublime. It was FINE, but it wasn't Citizen Kane for crying out loud. Heck, it wasn't even Babe:pig in the City.

14. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    THat's basically it, man.... this toy bloke makes toys with military grade micro-chips in them that are basically AI. The toys are programmed to hate and destroy each other and they promptly get out of the packaging and run amok. Fairly bollox.

15. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    It was about a school for boys that for some reason is overrun by military/mercenary/baddie types. And the students overthrow them.

Lou Gosset Jnr is in it too.

And Will Wheaton.

Stuff about Toy Soldiers

16. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    Wasn't that Small Soldiers? The film that came on this xmas?

17. Capt-Mentalist

Oct 8, 2001
    Thats small soildier your thinking of poodu . If I remember correctly , Toy Soldier was based in a military academy . The students are taken hostage by the villians and fight back against those awful mean bad guys .

18. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    Cheers Cass, Mentalist. No thanks to you Sam. :p

19. Capt-Mentalist

Oct 8, 2001
    OAC , you have to forgive Poodu .. afterall , he can't lick his elbow .

20. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    Oh alright. Us higher beings must show forgiveness to lesser beings. ;)

21. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    Oops! [face_blush]

And I refuse to debate Lord of the Rings anymore... it kicks ass.. that's it!

22. Capt-Mentalist

Oct 8, 2001
    For a lesser being , he has got taste .

23. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    Astin's also in Menphis belle.

I'm going to see LOTR again this week. When I saw it first time, I wasn't 'blown away'. I didn't think it was bad, just didn't understand what all the ranting and raving was about.

Anyway, gonna see again to see what I really think of it.

24. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    Did I mention before that I didn't like it...? :)

25. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    //slapping Dark Score

Stop being a trouble maker ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.