main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finding Obi-Wan

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by grimlockbedi, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordoftheSith14

DarkLordoftheSith14 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2004
    He died of natural causes. Do you not remember Yoda dying in ROTJ from old age? He layed down, and stopped breathing then his body disappeared. Since he had to die to become one with the force that means all jedi have to die to become one with the force. This then means that Obi-Wan also had to be dead like Yoda was before he could become one with the force.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    222 INT. POLIS MASSA-OBSERVATION DOME-NIGHT

On the isolated asteroid of Polis Massa, YODA meditates.

YODA: Failed to stop the Sith Lord, I have. Still much to learn, there is ...

QUI -GON: (V.O.) Patience. You will have time. I did not. When I became one with the Force I made a great discovery. With my training, you will be able to merge with the Force at will.

3. DarkLordoftheSith14

Nov 26, 2004
    I don't consider that canon, because it was never stated in any of the movies.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Wookiepedia:

Kenobi let down his guard and concentrated for a moment, vanishing to the spiritual plane; his body disappearing entirely just as Vader's lightsaber (instead of severing his body) passed through his empty robe.

But I guess you don't consider that canon either.

Anyway, I didn't see a lightsaber hit him in the film. But I guess ANH itself isn't canon either?

5. DarkLordoftheSith14

Nov 26, 2004
    Why would I consider what some random person said on Wikipedia canon? ANH is cannon.

6. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Yeah. That came from Wookipedia, not the script or anything. It's rather pointless.

<[-]> Saber

7. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    These are contradictory positions. The first one agrees with the ROTS script ( and Lucas ). The second does not.

8. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    Huh?? Why does Yoda's death, which came years after, imply anything whatsoever about Obi-Wan's self-sacrifice? Why does Vader's swing, which came after Obi-Wan's sacrifice, cause Obi-Wan's willing merge with the Force, which came before? Besides, it's aguable that Yoda merged and died at the same time, as one act of releasing himself into the Force. Heck, he probably enjoyed it.

Although it has little to do with ROTS, I agree with Arawn (for once): Vader did not "kill" Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan chose to join with and become One with the Force (as shown onscreen and as Lucas also says in the commentary). I understood this when I was 10 and saw it the first time in 1977 - isn't it obvious? Vader's lightsaber had nothing to do with Obi's disappearance, unless maybe it created a secondary circuit or reaction with the Force during the transformation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.