main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga *Finding the Way Home* (An AU/OT)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by padawan feline, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawan feline

padawan feline Jedi Master star 3

May 26, 1999
    Aw tanks! Let's see if this helps the suspense you're in! ;)
    "...now I am the Master now." Darth Vader was saying.

"Only a Master of evil, Darth." The old man replied.

The two men stood stock still for a moment, eyeing eachother, as if sizing eachother up. The tension in the Force grew strong as Makaella watched the old man's face contorting as though fighting an inward battle, before igniting his lightsaber and lunging at Vader. With lightening like reflexes, Vader's lightsaber met the old man's before it could cause any damage. After that, the battle was on.

Makaella wasn't sure how she knew, but there was something that seemed to be telling her, that she was witnessing something that was seceral years in the making. She didn't know how the two combatants knew eachother, and she cursed herself for not being close enough to hear the beginning of their conversation. But this battle was significant, even for her...she frowned. Why would this be significant for her? She couldn't care less about the outcome, unless of course the old man was a part of the rebellion. If that were the case then she was rooting for the old man. But...she also thought, though she hated to admit it, that if something happened to Darth Vader, she might also be affected. Though his heart was filled with darkness, she knew there was still a small glimmer of light that exsisted within him. It would be a shame if he died before it was brought out of him. She didn't feel like it was a hopeless cause. Unlike the Emperor, there was still hope for him.

The battle between the two Force weilders continued to rage, and it grew more and more intense as time wore on. Makaella could see the old man growing tired as it continued, and his lightsaber even seemed to be failing in power. Darth Vader took any advantage he was given and lunged on that.

"Your powers are weak, old man." Vader's metallic voice commented.

"You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine," was the old man's answer.

Makaella shook her head. There was something that was so familiar about this old man she saw before her, locked in mortal combat with her new master. She wished she knew what it was.

"Look!" A man's voice called out.

Makaella focused her attention, and saw a young, blonde haired man pointing in the direction of the dueling combatants. He was accompanied by another man, a little taller and more rugged looking, a large animal, which Makaella recognized as the one being led by the two odd stormtroopers earlier, and...the Princess! Makaella knew in an instant that they must be the rebels! So they had disguised themselves as stormtroopers to save the Princess! She was glad to see that their plan had worked. The old man must have been part of their group as well, because the young man was watching with a look of worry across his features.

"Now's our chance! Go!" The rugged looking rebel yelled, and they all took of at a run for the large spaceship.

Makaella could see the old man watching the troops that were charging toward him, seeming to realize that he was trapped. Vader took advantage of the old man's momentary distraction and brought his mighty lightsaber down on the old man. The old man managed to deflect the blow and swiftly turned around. He seemed to watch over his shoulder at the blonde man and his group, who were nearing their ship.

Makaella watched his next move in seemingly slow motion. She silently racked her brain, wondering again how she knew this man. Slowly, the old man lifted his sword from Vader's...

She thought back to the first time she'd spoken with Darth Vader...

The old man watched his opponent with a serene look on his face...

Makaella tried to remember every word he'd said to her about her past...no not her past...her parents!

Realization finally struck just as Vader brought his sword down, cutting the old man in half..

Makaella found herself screaming out, "NO!!!"

But her own cry was muffled by the cry of the young man, wh

2. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Hmmm...tis an interesting story. You're a very talented writer, though I must say, I was sort of expecting more surprises. I did at first think Makaella was Padme's daughter, but after that, it was pretty clear who it was, and I'm not a huge fan of stories that follow the OT plot precisely, but that's just personal preference.

The writing is *very* well done, especially the first half when the twins were learning about the GFFA. :)

3. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    I appreciate you reading, even if it isn't your "type," ;) Connemara!!!! I know that I could have done more of an AU with this, but I sort of wanted to keep it close to the trilogy for this one. But don't worry, I am writing a sequel that takes place inbetween ANH and the ESB. I will be writing it as if 'Splinter of a Mind's Eye' doesn't exsist. ;) :D It will be something different, and there are more surprises to come... so stay tuned...

4. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    :_| She did not get a chance to know her father.

I'm glad she realizes that there is some hope for Vader, but I wonder if she still feels that way now since he killed her father. I bet at first she is very angry with him.. But I hope she remembers that anger leads to the darkside.

5. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    We shall see... ;)

Not wanting Vader to see, or hear her, she hurried along the sides of ships and found another exit out of the Docking Bay. She was an emotional wreck at the moment, and if she wasn't careful she could end up doing something she'd really regret. She knew now, more than ever that she needed to get off this ship. But she had seemingly lost her chance when she had been distracted by the battle. The rebels had come and gone. There was no chance that they'd be returning any time soon. It seemed that now, all of her chances were gone. But she would wait, and hope that another chance would present itself soon. In the mean time, she could not allow Darth Vader to know what she had witnessed, especially not what she had realized. She needed him to think of her as the same naive little apprentice as before. That was her only chance.

Makaella's heart sank at the thought of it. This would be the hardest thing she'd ever had to do in her life. But it didn't matter. She needed to keep her wits about her, or she could end up a prisoner, just like Princess Leia. And there would be no one to come and rescue her. No one in this galaxy knew, or cared to know that she even existed.

Makaella quietly moved along a vacant corridor, not sure exactly where she was headed. She felt like she needed to have time to clear her mind, before facing Vader once more. She kept walking, and she passed a small troop of white clad storm troopers. They paused and saluted before continuing on their way. Makaella didn't give them so much as a nod.

After about an hour of aimless wondering, she made her way back to her own private quarters, and was surprised to see a lone storm trooper standing at her door pacing, as though he'd been waiting for quite some time. Makaella smiled as she approached, and he turned around and met her gaze. His arms slumped.

"Where have you been? I've been looking all over for you!" He said.

Makaella looked around the hall, and after reassuring herself that it was empty, opened her door and beckoned for him to follow her inside. Once inside, she turned to him, she wanted so much to tell him everything that had happened, but at the moment, she wasn't certain she could. She needed to keep her emotions in check, and if she were to say anything, she knew it would all come spilling out. "I was walking." She replied.

"I thought you were going to go back to Vader's quarters." He said, dubiously.

Makaella smiled weakly. "I couldn't resist the excitement."

"You went to the docking bay, didn't you."

Makaella nodded. "Yes, I wanted to see the rebels."

Aryn shook his helmeted head. "Well?"

Makaella gave him an odd look. "Well what?"

"Well, did you get a chance to talk to them?"

She shook her head. "I ran into a pair of them, but they were disguised as storm troopers and I didn't know it was them when I saw them. But they took the Princess with them when they left."

"Yes, I am aware of that." He replied, folding his arms in front of him.

Makaella nodded. "So what's with all these questions anyway?"

Aryn was silent for a moment, and he shuffled slightly. "Well, I guess when I couldn't find you, I was a little worried that you had left with them."

Makaella laughed sardonically. "No. I didn't go with them."

"You sound a little bitter."

Makaella could feel her emotions beginning to rise, and she wished with all her heart that she could confide in him what she'd seen and heard. But she didn't feel like this was the right moment. So instead, she walked over to her view port and gazed out at the stars. They were always a great comfort to her.

Aryn came up along her side and she felt his gloved hand reach out and squeeze her shoulder. "You made the right decision not to go with them."

Makaella closed her eyes, silently cursing herself for the emotions that were taking over like wild fire, spreading all over her body. "What do you mean?"

"I mean...they aren't going to get away."

Makaella's eyes snapped open and she swung around to face hi

6. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    Aryn lowered his head a little, and his arms hung limp at his sides. "There's something I need to tell you."

Oh no I have a bad feeling about this.

7. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    Well, it is time to end your suspense...for the moment... ;) muwahahaha!!!!!

Makaella smiled up at him. "I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have you here with me Aryn."

Aryn looked down at her, and slowly let go of her. "I'm sure you'd be just fine."

Makaella shook her head. "No, you're the only one I can talk to."

Aryn seemed uncomfortable again and he shifted his wait.

"Aryn, what's wrong?" She asked, suddenly alarmed.

Aryn lowered his head a little, and his arms hung limp at his sides. "There's something I need to tell you."

Makaella's heart sank. "What is it?"

"I've just received orders that I am to be transferred back to the Emperors ship."

Makaella felt her entire body go numb. "You have?"

He nodded his head slowly. "Yes."

"When?"

"Within the hour."

Makaella could feel her knees begin to weaken, and she had to steady herself against the wall. "You're l-leaving?" She stuttered, almost in a state of shock.

Aryn took her by the hand and led her to the couch and helped her sit. Then he knelt on the grated floor before her. "I don't want to leave you. But I have no choice."

"Don't go Aryn! We can find a way off of this ship, and we can go find the rebels! We could do it, I know we could!" Makaella pleaded with him. Tears streaming down her cheeks.

"There's no time." He replied sensibly. "You know this Makaella. If we were to truly escape, it would take a lot of time and planning. The best thing is for me to go."

Makaella shook her head. "So just like that you're going to give up?"

Aryn's shoulders slumped. "I don't know what else to do."

Makaella folded her arms tight, suddenly intensely angry with him. "Well then, I suppose you should be going now. There's nothing to keep you behind."

"Makaella, I didn't ask to be transferred."

"Just get out of here Aryn. Please...just leave." She said, turning her body to face another direction. Tears were now flowing so much that she could hardly see. Aryn didn't say anything, but she heard him get to his feet, and walk away. She continued to look the other way. She was too angry to care. Moments passed, and Makaella kept waiting for the sound of the door sliding open, but it never did. Instead, she heard him come back over to her, and his hand, holding a handkerchief came in front of her eyes. Makaella wanted to take it and rip it to shreds, but...she blinked. The hand that was holding the handkerchief was not a gloved hand. Makaella took it from him and wiped at her eyes, and turned to look at him. Standing before her, was a tall, handsome figure, with blue eyes and black matted hair (from wearing his helmet). She gasped. "What..."

"I want you to understand something Makaella." He said, kneeling before her again. His blue eyes meeting her own brown eyes, sending a chill up her spine. "I never meant to care for you like I do. I know it's not right for me, as a storm trooper to even associate with you. But...besides any of that...I want you to know me. I want that very much. It's tearing me apart that I have to leave you now. This is the absolute worst time it could have happened. But I promise you, that I will find you, and we'll see each other again. I'll do everything within my power to make it happen."

Makaella listened to him, still getting used to the fact that she could now talk to him face to face. She could see the earnestness in his eyes, and she knew he meant what he'd said. She suddenly felt guilty for being so angry with him. He was such a good person. "I'm sorry Aryn...I shouldn't have gotten angry with you. It's just...I don't know what I'm going to do without you. You're the only friend I have."

Aryn lifted his hand to her face and wiped the tears from her eyes, watching her intently, causing her to blush a little. "You'll be just fine. You're a lot stronger than you think. You can't give up hope Makaella, there is a great wrong that has been committed against your family, and against this galaxy. You have to keep fighting, you cannot allow the Emperor to win."

8. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    Ummm... up! :D

9. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
  10. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    up yet again!

11. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    I'm still here. Printing out to read to night. work at cpa firm (taxes) so I will be late in replying, but I am still reading.

12. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    Phew! You had me worried there! ;) There's only a few more posts left in this story! Thanks so much for reading!
    Later on that day, Makaella found the courage to seek out Darth Vader as she tentatively made her way to his quarters. She was nervous, but there was something within her, that would not allow her nerves to over take the rest of her. She had finally come to the realization, that if she could not even control herself, how could she think to try to control anything else around her. Her anger from the incident before needed to be turned into something that could be productive, instead of inhibiting. She needed to turn that anger, into resolve. She needed to work harder than ever at it, because she was now all alone.

When she reached the door to his quarters, the black clad guards did not challenge. They did not even so much as turn their gaze in her direction. They continued to stare straight forward. Makaella played their game, and pretended not to notice them either. She simply stepped in front of the door, and keyed in the code and waited as the door slid open. She could feel his presence even before the door had opened. It was a powerful presence. Makaella stepped boldly forward and the door slid shut behind her. She glanced around the dimly lit room, and found nothing but the same strange machine she'd seen him resting inside before. Most likely his thinking spot. Makaella felt a flash of anger as she imagined what his thoughts might be. She was almost certain they would be triumphant. The evil, misdirected apprentice from before had finally had the chance to make his betrayal complete.

Makaella startled as the hydraulics hissed and the canopy lifted. Vader was sitting inside, facing her. "I have been wondering when I might find you." His metallic voice replied.

Makaella had half expected his voice to be filled with enthusiasm about his recent victory. But instead, his voice sounded extremely subdued, and his presence, anything but triumphant. Makaella swallowed hard. This was it, she mentally crossed her fingers that he would not suspect her change in mood. "Things got a little crazy there for a while." She replied evenly.

"Yes, but do not worry about the rebels. They will be found soon enough." He replied.

Makaella forced a smile on her lips. "I hope so, Lord Vader. I thought I saw the prisoner Princess Leia escape with them."

"They won't get very far. I had them put a tracking device on the rebels spacecraft. We now have the location of the rebel base." He replied, as he climbed out of the machine.

Makaella did her best to ignore the sinking feeling in her stomach. "So the gamble of allowing them to escape has paid off it would seem."

"Yes, so it has." He replied, coming and standing before her.

Makaella always felt intimidated when he stood like this. His stature towered high above her measly 5 foot 3. "I am glad for you." She managed to say.

"Are you?" He asked, tilting his had slightly to the side.

Makaella nodded quickly. "Yes of course."

"The tone of your voice seems to speak otherwise." He countered, looking down at her.

Makaella backed up a step. "I am happy that you have been able to achieve all that you've ever wanted. This must be a triumphant moment for you." She replied, wondering what his reaction might be.

"My moment of triumph is yet to come, my young apprentice." Vader reminded her.

Makaella was amazed. He sounded so temperate, and even...possibly depressed. Not exactly what she had been expecting from this dark Lord. Perhaps the part of him that was still good had been deeply troubled about his confrontation with his former master. After all, even he had said that they had been good friends once. Makaella didn't understand why he wouldn't just allow his good side to shine through. And, though she hated to admit it, she felt a small ounce of comfort in knowing that he actually felt remorse for killing her father. At least that was what she thought she was sensing from him. "You do not seem so enthusiastic either." She comm

13. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    Ummm well I guess I'll just finish posting. Here's the next bit.

As soon as they had entered hyperspace, Luke turned to Kayly. "Next time we infiltrate a ship, stay on the Falcon!"

Kayly lifted her chin. "Certainly, milord." She curtsied.

Luke glared at her. "You could have been killed."

"Well, I wasn't!" Kayly countered. Goodness, all she had done was poke her head out! She folded her arms. "Where's Ben?"

Luke's face fell. "He's not coming with us."

Han turned around. "He was killed, kid."

Leia glared at him. "Eloquently said, Captain."

"No sense in sugarcoating it sweetheart." Han said, then met Kayly's gaze. "Sorry."

Kayly's chest tightened. "How?"

"Darth Vader fought him, and won." Leia gently informed her.

"He...he...was my father." Kayly managed to say.

Luke put his arm around her. "I didn't know that. Darth Vader killed my father too."

Han snorted. "Nice way to cheer her up, kid."

Leia placed her hands on her hips. "And I suppose your methods are more gentle?"

"Sure," Han jabbed his thumb toward the cabin. "There's some ale if you need it, Kayly."

Kayly shook her head, rising shakily to her feet. "No, thank you, Han. I'll be okay, I mean, I really didn't know him well anyway." She swiped at tears with ther back of her hand. "Excuse me," Kayly then fled out of the cockpit. She intended on meeting Darth Vader herself one day, and when she did, she planned on being the only one to walk away.

Makaella sat in the control room of the Death Star, with Vader and Grand Moff Tarkin. She had been listening as the pair of war Lords plotted out the coming battle with the small rebellion. Though in Tarkin's opinion, there would be no battle at all.

"How could they possibly manage to put up a plausible defense? They haven't the time, nor the resources." Tarkin was saying to Vader.

Vader was standing near the view port, with his hands behind his back. "They know by now that we are coming. I wouldn't put it past them to think of a defense. They do still have the technical readouts of this battle station."

"That doesn't matter, Lord Vader. This battle station is impenetrable." Tarkin insisted.

They were interrupted in their discussion by a buzz of the comlink. Tarkin moved to answer it. "Yes?"

"We are approaching the planet Yavin. The rebel base is on a moon on the far side. We are preparing to orbit the planet." The Intercom voice informed him.

"Good. Proceed." Tarkin replied, then switched it off. "I suppose we shall soon find out just what these rebels are made of." He replied, a twisted smile forming on his stiff lips.

Moments later, Vader and Tarkin stood watching a computer console. The computer gave a representation of the Death Star's position, in relation to Yavin and its fourth moon.

"Orbiting the planet at maximum velocity. The moon with the Rebel base will be in range in thirty minutes." A voice over the intercom said.

Vader turned to look at Tarkin. "This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of
    Kenobi and it will soon see the end of the Rebellion."

Makaella inwardly tensed at his declaration. Not if I can help it. she thought to herself.

Minutes passed as the Death Star continued on it's course around Yavin. Makaella kept watching out the view port, hoping to see some sort of aircraft that could be the Rebellion's defense. Fifteen minutes passed and finally, tiny dots flying in formation came into view, headed their way. Makaella watched them curiously. Sure enough, they seemed to be small fighters, just as Vader had suspected. She could only hope that they would be enough to hold off the Death Star's defenses.

"Aw, there are the rebels now." Tarkin replied, seemingly unconcerned.

The dots continued to grow larger until they were more visible as individual aircrafts, with wings in an X shape. They flew at the Death Star's surface and began pelting it with laser fire. After that, the Death Star became alive with commotion. The computers began beeping in area's that had exper

14. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    I have you for my list to read tonight. Not able to read as much or as fast as I had hoped to. Working later than I had thought I would be already this month. But I am still here.

15. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    Thanks so much! Glad you're still reading, because this is the final post!!!!! Hope you like! :D

Makaella checked the controls on her Tie Fighter as she flew out into space. Once she was out, she experienced a moment of exhilaration. She had never flown an actual Tie Fighter before, and this was her first time being out in space and alone. Well, relatively alone. It had been a long time since she'd experienced even this small measure of freedom. Her moment of exhilaration was short lived, however. She was not out here for a joy ride, she was in the middle of an on-going battle. She needed to keep her wits about her.

Makaella maneuvered her Fighter into attack formation, with the rest of the Imperials, just as she'd been taught. The fighters flew together, as they came rearing up on a formation of X-Wings. The Tie's around her let out a volley of laser fire as they passed the X-Wings. Then, turned to make another run. Makaella had somehow managed to pull herself out, without actually firing her own guns, and she had narrowly escaped being shot down by rebel fire. Makaella stopped for a moment to catch her breath, and bearings. Some idea this had been. How on earth was she supposed to help the rebels, as they were firing at her? What a mess!

"Stay in attack formation." Vader's voice came into her headset.

"Sorry, I got confused." Makaella tried to explain, as one of the X-Wings changed course, and started heading straight for her. Makaella dove as laser fire darted just above her cockpit window. "You've got to get on the offensive!" Vader said inside her headset.

Makaella shook her head. "Don't you understand? I'm trying to help you!" She yelled at the X-Wings, shaking her fist. She steadied her steering stick while she searched for an answer to her dilemma. If I start shooting at the Tie's, Vader's going to know what's going on. But if I shoot at the X-Wings, I would be fighting the people I was hoping to save! But...if I don't fight them, Vader will suspect me anyway! Makaella frowned, but then her face relaxed as an idea came to her. She quickly switched on her computer and spotted an X-Wing flying very near the Death Star's surface. Without pausing to rethink it, she punched her guns and fired a volley just near the side of it. Her laser fire, of course missed, but managed to create quite an explosion on the Death Star itself.

"YES!" Makaella yelled as she watched one of the towers blow, and the X-Wing, unharmed, change it's course and head for her. "Uh oh." She said, as she veered to the left, avoiding a stream of laser fire.

Deciding to give her new idea another shot, she searched for another target. She found an X-Wing in hot pursuit of one of the Imperial fighters. Makaella gulped. She had never actually attempted to kill a living target...Don't think! Just do it! she chided herself. This was war after all, and she had already chosen which side she would be fighting for. So, without further contemplation, she punched her laser guns and fired at the Tie, just on the very edge, to make it seem as if she'd been aiming at the X-Wing. The Tie Fighter blew and the X-Wing hurried on to its next target. Makaella didn't have time to feel the guilt, because it was now coming right at her!

"Now that's appreciation!" Makaella commented as she dodged it's fire. It flew passed her, then turned and came at her again. This one was not going to give up quite as easily. Makaella could do nothing but allow it to chase her. She flew in a zigzag pattern, making it difficult for the pilot to get a good enough aim. She continued to dodge it and it eventually moved on to another target.

"Watch your aim!" Vader's voice again, came into her headset. Use the Force. His voice came into her mind this time, and not in her head set.

The Force? Makaella hadn't thought of that. She shrugged her shoulders. Why not? she thought, as she opened herself to the Force. Almost immediately she felt the dark presense of her master. His mind was busy somewhere around the Death Star's surfa

16. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    I think I know why I hardly ever post here. There are too many stories to be read! And I never get a lot of feedback. I am a small town girl. Anyway, that is the end. Thanks for reading, CrystalKenobi, and if there are any lurkers, shame on you for not posting! ;)

17. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    I was sorry to see it end. I finnally caught up with this one. It is a wonderful story. I hope you do a sequel. I'm glad to see Makaella with the rebellion, I think she will find some happiness there.

I also feel sorry for both of the girls, only one of them got to know their father and that was only a short bit of time.

18. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    Thanks Crystal! I have a sequel started already! :D So you want me to post it?

19. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    Yes please

20. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.