main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Finished the Legends Novels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JABoomer, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Well, it wasn't quite "closing out" things - setting up a whole new Wraith Squadron, to me, felt like it was opening a door for at least a few more books, which would've been awesome if it hadn't been for Allston (and then the EU) passing away.

But I was still really happy that we got to go back to that world one last time, yeah. It's the only post-NJO book I actually like.

blackmyron and Force Smuggler like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    25,000+ years of the Republic and Jedi Order, though add another 10,000 years for the Je'daii, hundreds of thousands of years for the Rakata, Gree, Kwa, Taung, Zhell, other Force groups, other families aside from the Skywalkers, etc.

Much more exciting thinking of all that in addition to the movies, instead of just the movies.
    The EU is the backbone of my SW knowledge. How I see the movies, is tied to the EU.

3. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    I think a big part of the reason I wasn't as disappointed with the prequels as so many people were is that the novels from that era, IMO, did such a great job of picking up the slack. The politics behind the trade disputes in Episode I might not make too much sense in the opening crawl, but "Cloak of Deception" and "Plagueis" made some great stuff out of it. And, of course, there's the novelizations.

JamesSkywalker and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Amen.
    Cloak of Deception, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, Republic comics, the micro-series, Labyrinth of Evil, Shatterpoint, the novelizations, Plagueis,etc greatly improved the era.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I was so confused with your pictures at first since I am not used to seeing books ordered from the bottom up.
    I'm currently in my [very slow] reread of all the books I have, including ones recently purchased which need to worm their way into my shelves. They mean a lot to me, and there is something to be said that we have decades of head canon at our fingertips ready to be re-explored.

I'm also amazed by the fact that you have almost all paperbacks. Amazed and a bit envious since my hard covers drive me insane.

JABoomer and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm torn on whether to get rid of some of my hardbacks to make room in the cupboard going forward for the Disney stuff. I have the paperbacks for the hardbacks I have but at the very least want to keep ROTS, The Unifying Force, Heir to the Empire 20th Anniversary, and a couple of others in their hardback forms.
    I will put them on EBay or some site like that though.

7. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    When I started reading the books in junior high, I didn't have the money to buy hard covers. My OCD prevented me from buying them in later years, because they should all be the same right? Haha.

Another reason is that I mostly ready in bed, and hard covers are too big, heavy, and awkward to read in this position.

So although I don't have the prestige of a hard cover collection, paperbacks do have their positives :).

SWpants likes this.
  8. The Corellian President

The Corellian President Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    Reminds me I need to redo my bookshelf. Slot in Canon together or make it a separate shelf? Hmnn...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I have them separate for now.

10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Haha, I can relate. The last time I watched Jedi, I got to the Rebel briefing scene and was like "There's Lieutenant Page sitting behind Leia and Han! Holy crap!"

My problem with reading hardcovers in bed is that I sit against the backboard and prop the book against my knees, and then subconsciously think that it's a kindle and tap the page when I finish it.

11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Now its more like "There's Whoever-David-Church-Plays-In-This-Movie sitting behind Leia and Han!" -_-

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  12. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I'm holding out hope for a recanonization of Page. Cracken, too, was an EU character retconned into being a background Jedi Rebel, and he's made his way into the new canon. There's hope for Page yet!

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm not so keen on recanonizations of that kind, y'know. Because, ultimately, it's just putting a name on an unidentified extra, but it doesn't bring back anything else (a biography, a personality and so on).

14. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I do too. And since Tarkin and Lords of the Sith are canon, not Legends, they're even with the newer books.
    With the way my shelves are, they're even on opposite sides of the room :p

15. medioCORE

medioCORE Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    I'm still putting the finishing touches on my Legends collection. Still slowly tracking down some of the junior novels (Last of the Jedi, namely). I was nine when TPM came out, and grew up on Watson's Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest books. I'm all caught up on current canon books, and I'm about to dive into the X-Wing series for the first time. Quite the collection OP has there (though the backwards order does throw my slight OCD for a major loop :) ).

16. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Just curious...how do you and others organize your canon bookshelf? I have all the canon material thus far (adult novels, junior novels, comic tpb, reference books, etc) and I've gone back and forth with how best to display them.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Paperback together, comics and junior novels together. No hardbacks from the NEU yet.

18. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

Chronological order as given by the Wook. If a novel/compilation/Omnibus/whatever spans multiple timeframes, I put it where the first one is. I have three separate areas: Legends, Canon, [Legends] Comics. NEU comics I'll probably put after the NEU books in chronological order
    Reference books are completely separate and I have them in chronological order by episode then alphabetical order after that.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Cool post. The EU meant a lot to me growing up and into young(ish) adulthood. It's safe to say the Thrawn books, the X-Wing series, the NJO and others will always be essential Star Wars to me. I followed Luke and company for so long in the books that it's pretty much impossible for me to see TFA as "what really happened."

I stopped reading right as FOTJ hit, mostly because of other interests/less time more so than any strong sense of dissapointment with the direction they were taking. Since I'm not feeling the new stuff maybe I'll look back into some of the final "Legends" books as a sort of closure.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    As far as Legends goes, in general:

[​IMG]

21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, I agree with this. Like I said not long ago on another thread, this is why I actually don't want any new stories with Wedge Antilles in the current canon. Without the entire little universe that had built itself up around him - without Tycho, Wes, Hobbie, Iella, Corran, Gavin, Mirax, Booster - it would just feel empty and fake. What I am eager for are the Poe Dameron stories. Something X-wing-series-esque, but built around entirely new characters and telling entirely new stories, which could be its own thing instead of a pale imitation of an older series? Yes, that I'm down for.

22. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    A fine effort, JABoomer! :D That collection looks great. I still need several Clone Wars era and Jedi Quest books to complete my collection. When I was into YA SW, it was in the days of Young / Junior Jedi Knights.

In a way I agree, I don't think NEU would do proper justice to these awesome characters. While Marvel's Poe Dameron looks promising, I reaaaally miss the good ol' days, both the X-Wing gang and the NJO Jedi + the Fels.

23. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    Well, I continue to hold out some hope that they'll one day have enough sense to let Legends continue on in its own continuity, the same way various comic book franchises already have multiple continuity.

Trouble is, even if that happens, I'm afraid all the old authors will've moved on by then.

JamesSkywalker and Amon_Amarth like this.
  24. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    I recently reordered all my novels (adult, young readers and junior readers) in to chronological order. It took a while and takes up a ridiculous amount of space but my life did I feel a sense of completeness and achievement! I did buy hardbacks so it does look bumpy rather than the nice, smooth lines in the first post. I'm missing a few novels, mostly the Clone Trooper ones and some of the junior reader ones like Glove of Vader but over all I have (quickly checks spreadsheet of novels) 172 novels which is crazy.

There are also 76 reference books - making of, cross sections, art of .. etc

And then there are the comics - this includes all the DHC, the original Marvel era reprints (the originals I don't have except for the last three issues as I have the UK weekly/monthly reprints from when they came out).

All in all that amounts to a crazy amount of shelf space.

Now, some of these novels I remember very well, some I barely remember at all. I've been collecting since 1977 so this has been built up slowly but surely. I have no idea how someone starting now from scratch would be able to collect all this, even as ebooks as the cost would be ridiculous (just doing a quick calc of 172 novels at £5 each equates to £860 which while not sounding too bad, is still a lot to spend on novels)

With regards to reading them all, up to the start of last year, i had read them all up to book 3 of the FOTJ set. So I set myself a task to complete the read before the film opened. i managed it but boy at times was that hard. Some of the FOTJ stuff was just painful and the constant changing behind why Jacen did what he did was annoying. And then Crucible. Oh, that hurt. But I managed it and also managed to stay up to date with the NEU.

From memory, my favourite ones would be Thrawn trilogy, X-Wing, some of the Vong war and some of the Clone War novels. I remember finding the Black Fleet Crisis a particularly hard slog and barely making it to the end of that.

Anyway, congrats to the original poster, your post has sent me down memory lane and I can relate to what you have achieved.

25. MattLambertson

MattLambertson Jedi Master

Feb 3, 2007
    Those books are a treasure. They do so much to flesh out the prequel-era galaxy and make it feel like a real lived-in place rather than a stage for contrived drama like the prequels and their novels often seemed to do by ignoring the existence of anyone but the Jedi and the government.

And the Young Jedi Knights books were my gateway drug to Star Wars reading obsession. I read them when I was in the intended age group for them and they were absolutely riveting. Some of the happiest moments of my life were experienced reading Trouble On Cloud City and being awed by Lando's theme park and that ride where they free-fall thousands of feet into a water-vapor cushion, and being utterly terrified when Jacen (who was my favorite) fell off the city for real. Those were the days where I was too young to know that no, of course they're not going to kill Han & Leia's son in the middle book of a YA trilogy. And it was wonderful. Say what you want about KJA and Moesta's literary chops but they understood how to take advantage of the creative freedom of being in a whole other galaxy and all the weird, fascinating, and compelling ideas that can be played with in a Star Wars novel.

JamesSkywalker likes this.