main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Finishing a trilogy or a movie series.

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Sep 15, 2014.

1. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Just read that Matt Damon is back for another Bourne flick. This led me to think about how I haven't seen the last one. And no, not the Renner one.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The camera was shaky and there was punching.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I only ever saw the last one Damon was in concerning this series... I was entertained.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not really excited about this. Ultimatum wrapped things up pretty well.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Bourne Redundancy.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Well there is 12 Bourne books

9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I guess Matt Damon wants to be ... Bourne again. :p

jp-30, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But the movies were barely based on them anyway, especially after the first one. After the opening and general premise of the Bourne Identity, the rest of it and both of the others (Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum) had nothing in common with the books except for the titles. Also, only those three were written by Robert Ludlum. The others were written by others using his character (and the one of those that I read was awful). The Renner movie (which was also incidentally really boring and has no business being compared to the trilogy) was named after one of the post-Ludlum Bourne novels, and of course stars him as another agent (not Bourne).

At any rate, I wish they would leave it alone. At one point I heard there would be more movies with Renner, and now apparently Bourne himself (Damon) is considering coming back? As others have said, Ultimatum closed his story up nicely already.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea, Damon and Greengrass are returning and that film will be released in 2016 with Renner's film being put on hold

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Interesting. At this point I still think they should have been done after Ultimatum, but I'm at least curious to see where they want to take the story going forward. I did really like the trilogy (the Damon ones).

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Does the Renner film being put on hold have anything to do with [spoiler for Avengers2/Cap3]Renner confirming he would be apart of Captain America 3?[/spoiler]

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I have no idea.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i watched the first two iron man films but probably won't watch the third.
    i enjoyed the first austin powers but i've never seen the sequels.
    i might skip the third hobbit, haven't decided yet.
    still need to see before midnight.
    for some reason i watched all of the first three transformers films, i'll never watch another one though.
    i've only seen the first bourne film. we watched it at c6. waiting until the next time we're all together to watch the rest, and play minigolf of course.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I've seen the first three Twilight films (not entirely my choice; obligations to a teenage family member), refuse to see the remaining films in the 'saga'

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I enjoyed the Bourne films and I've wonder what happened to the Bourneverse after The Bourne Legacy. Nice to hear that Bourne is back.

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Bourne Identity wrapped his story up nicely; everything since then has been a guy who doesn't want to be an assassin continuing to not want to be an assassin while the studio contrives reasons for him to have to be an assassin briefly (they barely even bothered to come up with a reason in Ultimatum), and also a guy who isn't Bourne trying to get pills to not be stupid because this is honestly the best idea they could come up with to continue to wring money out of this particular dead horse.

Each sequel so far has been lazier and more pointless than the film before, and I don't expect this to reverse the trend.

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    LIke tom only saw one of the Bournes at C6. Though I seem to remember seeing part of the Renner one somewhere.

I've seen all but the last Transformers movies. All the Hobbittses and all Marvel movies.

20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I totally agree with you regarding the Bourne Legacy (see my comments above), and it's really not even a sequel. But I think that's a bit off regarding Supremacy and Ultimatum. He is really no longer an assassin in either of those, and his whole story line has become his trying to figure out his own past and bring down those who were running the programs. And that latter part really only becomes a priority for him after Marie gets killed in Supremacy.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He's being an "assassin" in the sense of being a guy who runs around doing spy stuff and fighting people. The whole point of Identity was that Bourne figured out who he was and wanted to stop doing that; in the later movies, he continues to be a guy who wants to stay out of that world but oh no he's been dragged back in because REVENGE, and then because . . . reasons. The sequels don't really continue Bourne's story organically; he was at a stopping point, and the sequels contrive reasons to restart him, but in that process they don't find a way to say anything new about the character. He doesn't grow, he doesn't go to a new place as a character, we don't learn more about who he is as a person. The entire supposed emotional punch of Supremacy -- Bourne regrets the fact that the assassination business is nasty and dirty and involves messing up people's kids -- is exactly the realization he came to at the end of Identity. And in Ultimatum, Bourne isn't really even a character. His only motivation is to mutter something vague about "I'm gonna end this" at the start and then HEY ACTION SEQUENCES. He's purely a plot device, a delivery system for action scenes. The closest he comes to characterization is everyone else going, "HOLY **** IT'S JASON BOURNE!" every time he's mentioned. At the end, we learn for the third movie in a row that Jason Bourne doesn't particularly care for the kind of person he was before he got amnesia and also he was born with a different name. There's really not any new characterization in there.

That's my point; the films might have "continued" his story in the sense that they made more films about him, but they haven't added anything new to the story, the character arc, of Jason Bourne.

soitscometothis likes this.
  22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I actually enjoyed Legacy more than the Greengress films (but then I enjoyed most films, with the possible exception of Batman & Robin, more than Supremacy).

23. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    i hate movies so much

24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    You're missing out, the last 2 are funnier than most comedies.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Everyone knows that the Renner movie was actually a Hawkeye solo movie. A prequel, actually. Duh.

No, seriously, watch the movie with that in mind. It's so much better.

EHT and Juliet316 like this.