Finishing the Fight: The Halo 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jango10, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Phoenix- Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah for that part I don't even think it has to be Legendary. You just didn't watch the whole thing. It's after the credits.
  2. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    I like the logic here.

Let's show a scene that happens AFTER the scene we play following the credits (ie. the funeral ceremony). Then, after the credits, let's show a scene that happens BEFORE the last scene we showed! We're so creative!

3. Master-Fett Force Ghost

star 6
    [face_plain] You're just taking it out on Bungie because you didn't think to watch the credits.
  4. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    That's not what happened at all. As far as you know, the funeral ceremony happened first then the scene after the credits happened.
  5. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Because that makes perfect sense.

Edit:

Anyway, did anyone else feel like this game was kind of disappointing in regards to story? Halo 1 didn't impress me with its story so much as it did with its coop gameplay, which is why I developed an interest in the series. Halo 2, however, totally blew me away when it split into an entirely different story with the Arbiter. That was awesome.

But then Halo 3 abandoned that two-perspective story and went back to the simple one-person thing. Maybe Halo simply isn't about story or whatnot, but I really enjoyed having a good story thrown into the second game. And the total absence of one in the third game was fairly disappointing for me and the people I cooped with.

Arbiter should have been given more of a Halo 2 treatment, IMO.
  6. clonetrooper1 Jedi Master

star 4
    The only thing I think they could improve on is having a few more campaign levels. When playing Co-op with friends we seem to be able to go through the levels quickly, but apart from that I think it's fine
  7. DarthSubZero Jedi Master

star 4
    What they need is Arbiter-exclusive levels as DLC, which take place before Master Chief arrive.
  8. -Phoenix- Force Ghost

star 5
    Well if you've seen the scene, then actually yes, yes it does.
  9. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    yeah, that'd be cool

Yeah, that's a good point
  10. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Campaign for the Halo series isn't that exciting anyway. Multiplayer FTW.
  11. DarthSubZero Jedi Master

star 4
    Pretty much, but a playable campaign would be nice.
  12. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    I do think that Halo 2 had a deeper and better story. Halo 3's story was much more epic and was basically a war movie.

Halo 3 > Halo 2

Halo 2's Story > Halo 3's Story
  13. -Phoenix- Force Ghost

star 5
    I loved Halo 3's story. I dunno why, it just feels so much more epic. Like now we're getting somewhere. Halo 2's just didn't seem to really go anywhere. Halo's was awesome though (of course).
  14. DewbackRider88 Jedi Master

star 4
    Halo 3's story FTW

Didnt like the Arbiter levels in Halo 2. I like his character and all, but that dosnt mean I want to play as him.
  15. Master-Fett Force Ghost

star 6
  16. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    It just feels like Halo 2 was just a holdover for Halo 3 (the cliffhanger ending didn't help one bit). I really didn't find a deeper story there than in Halo 3. A lot of things were omitted, like an indepth view of the Covenant Civil War, or the Arbiter giving his people some kind of speech that'd make the Elites flock to his banner and aid the humans, or more exposition of what the Flood are. Too many wasted opportunities on that game, making it appear as an incomplete game.

John-117 is still a cypher as far as main characters are concerned though and absolutely nothing of what makes him tick was shown in the series (at least he beats Half-life's Gordon Freeman with the fact that his voice is at least heard once or twice). He need not have been the last Spartan. It would've been a welcome sight to see some of his siblings pull his butt out of an impossible situation in game 3 (another wasted opportunity there) but still have him carry on through the main story. However, the campaign is about Finishing his Fight, so that's why the Arbiter didn't get the spotlight.

It would be nice, however, if some DLC would be made featuring the Arbiter. Maybe having him and some human/Elite allies do missions happening before or in between the missions of Halo 3 while John was busy elsewhere. Hear that Bungie? Not all of the DLC should be for the multiplayer side of things.

17. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    I think it was attitudes like that that caused Bungie not to feature the Arbiter so much in Halo 3.
  18. DarthSubZero Jedi Master

star 4
    I was intrigued by the character the Arbiter....

...I mean, come on, you finally get to play the dinosaurs!
  19. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    I only really got into Halo because of Halo 2. I usually hate FPS games because they're so linear and basic. Walk around, shoot all the aliens/monsters/whatever.

But Halo 2 changed things by allowing you to play both sides, and it was no longer just about the generic tale of humans fighting aliens, it was also about the aliens fighting amongst themselves, fighting the humans, and forming an unexpected alliance in the wake of betrayal.

Halo 3 went back to the stupid mundane generic crap, and I didn't like it.
  20. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, I don't play the Halo games for the story mode anyway. I prefer the multiplayer.
  21. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Oh yes, Halo multiplayer. Often full with immature little twerps who are not only so much better than you, but then do not stop rubbing that face in your face when they teabag, spewing incoherent, unprintable verbiage straight out of a merchant ship (or just from your average frathouse nimrod). Always an enjoyable experience. It's one of the main reasons I've almost abandoned it in favor of COD4 because it seems to be an almost completely different crowd.
  22. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Wow, Invid's more bitter about Halo than I am :p
  23. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
  24. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    I was just reading about that. Sidewinder is the best Halo map ever!
  25. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Actually Valyn, Bungie always leaves a little something extra for the players after the credits play out on each game. On Halo 1, you see Guilty Spark floating in the void, hinting at a sequel. On Halo 2, you see an infested High Charity being overrun by the Gravemind, who begins to question Cortana before the screen fades to black. Naturally, it was expected the same would follow suit on 3. After the credits roll out, you see that John and Cortana survived, but are stranded somewhere in the void. If you beat the game on Legendary, that last scene is expanded a bit, hinting at the possibility (however doubtful) of a new adventure for the Chief.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.