main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Chyntuck - Can you see a doctor there, if necessary? Get well soon!

mavjade - Good luck! Fingers crossed.

TrakNar - Great drawing! Love the shading work. Is this 100% digital? If so, did you use any particular brush tip?

Kurisan - Forgot to comment on Chester. What a cutie! I love small dogs, they're such characters and I'm pretty sure Judi liked seeing Chester, too. :D

mavjade , yahiko and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Yesterday was a fine day here in the D, and today's shaping up to be another one with temperatures in the 80s. Went out for a walk yesterday, so today it's gonna be another bike ride... :)

Chyntuck All that can be said at this point is that "into every life, a little rain must fall" and "the grass is always greener on the other side." Trite, but true... ;) [face_devil][:D]

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I saw a doctor. Late-night visit to the emergency room of the hospital near Gare du Nord -- trust me when I say that you don't want to see that place :(

4. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Ca devait ressembler à la Cour des Miracles...

Chyntuck likes this.
  5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I hope you feel better soon, Chyn!

Chyntuck and yahiko like this.
  6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    You could say that. Everything from drunk tramps who had an accident to police bringing in people who were involved in street fights (in handcuffs, because what's the fun otherwise?) to battered women with the crazy husband following them into the hospital and threatening them... It was a sad glimpse into the seedier side of Paris that's normally very well hidden from view.

Lady_Misty and yahiko like this.
  7. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Around Gare du Nord, this is not a nice and safe place. Not for a lady in any case.

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Actually, I find that the area around Gare du Nord is much nicer than it used to be, say, 20 years ago when it was really almost a slum, and in the end it's not worse than the area around any train station in any major city I've been to. In Athens the Nazis used to have their offices across the street from the train station, and I can tell you that adding the skinheads to the rest of the fauna you'd normally expect to find there was beyond creepy.

yahiko likes this.
  9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks everyone for the good luck! I think the job interview went well, though I get the impression I'm not going to be particularly happy with how things are done there. I'm used to a very high level of autonomy and it sounds like they (and other hospitals around here) might not quite have that. :(

I hope you feel better, Chyn!

yahiko and Chyntuck like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    As in, they're going to control what you're doing? I don't like that. It raises all kinds of red flags.

Hope it's nothing serious and, as far as emergency rooms go - don't even want to imagine!

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Double post because I feel awkward putting it next to two instances of comforting people.

Remember the incident I wrote about one month ago, when one whole street was bulldozed overnight and the security guard was tied up, his mobile phone was taken from him and he was not allowed to call police?

He passed away today, from a heart attack. Consequences of stress.

There was a protest later today, which was scheduled either way and it started with a minute of silence for this man. There were over 15K people, which is a big deal with the enormous media censorship going on right now. Of course, the goverment-aligned tabloid claims there were 3K people, that most were "crazy lesbian activists" and calls the politicians present names such as "vibrator", "the yellow one" and so on.

I was seventeen when the Bulldozer Revolution took place. I would prefer this to be solved the peaceful way, because I fear that the second time around, we could have a fully-blown civil war. :(

Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Ewok Poet It's entirely digital and I used the default brushes. Mainly the default soft edge brush and another brush that gets lighter as you brush, so it's more like a paintbrush.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I hope you feel better Chyn!

And I hope the situation gets resolved peacefully Ewok Poet.

I was taking a short work break and noticed that they have already posted the location and dates for Star Wars Celebration 8(?) in 2017. Was this just not advertised well, or have I just been living under a rock? It's in Orlando (I knew if I was going to be traveling a fair distance) but it's in mid April again :( I had this issue last year. There is no way I am swinging a trip in the middle of my exam period (and especially not my final year). Which is sad because I was planning on taking my brothers as they will be gradding Spring 2017 as well. So, we are going to have to think of another destination (because even if I did want to risk it, there would be no way for them to go at that time).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The only way I could go myself would be if it was in continental Europe. UK sounds like something I just wouldn't be able to afford, plus there's a chance they would deny me the visa, because I'm a freelancer and therefore "suspicious". Not sure if that could comfort you, but I so hope you could somehow solve this and go. Can the exams be in June? August? No idea how the Canadian system works.

The protest was peaceful, it's the tension that scares me. I don't like our prime minister's totalitarian tendencies and it's starting to remind me of the last years of Slobodan Milošević's rule, with three major differences:

- Milošević actually brought living standards to a decent level after the Dayton Treaty! Vučić is crushing them. He punished mid-level pensioners by cutting down 10% of their pensions. He is not coming up with a freelancer category, and we don't want to be one-person companies and give the Republic of Serbia 100€ a month just to have basic health care. But yes, we would pay taxes once a year, just like all other people. Like, don't you want to keep us in this country?

- In 1990s, we didn't have what we have today, because there was no exxxxxtreme globalisation. Today we have almost everything, but not many people can afford it.

- The little amount of rich, well, sociopaths, the folks who flaunt their privilege on social networks...they get to live for free.

In 2007/2008, my salary was 200/300€ and the things I could buy for that amount of money were more numerous than the things I could buy for 600-800€ today, so I would just leave everything from foreign clients aside. Nowadays, if it's not a four-digit-amount of money, none of it will be left at the end of the month.

Speaking of sociopaths who get to live for free - yesterday, I got the word that the fancy fashion conference is in limbo. People can't afford to spend that amount of money to watch those who colour-coordinate for life to tell them how to live their lives when they're barely getting by. SURPRISE. :rolleyes:

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Congratulation U.S.A., Paperinik New Adventures finally reach your shore

[​IMG]

Raissa Baiard likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I have no idea how the Eastern European system(s?) works, but I know how the UK system works (all the exams for all their classes are done after their final year), but here, exams are booked by the university for the exam period after each semester, so the winter semester ends usually around the 5th to the 10th of April, then the exam period is the following 2-3 weeks (say from the 7th to the 23rd is the typical April exam period, which includes Saturdays, so I can't even leave like Friday night and return late Sunday, which would be rather pointless anyways). But if you can't make the exam, you have to go to the prof and ask. Some are great (I've had professors offer to let me write exams whatever day worked best for me), others, you'd better have a damn good reason (Funeral or your flight home is going to cost $2000 more if you stay that one extra day, which happened to someone I knew) and then the prof will only move it a day or two. Technically, I could take classes that semester that I know won't have exams (IE 4th year history), but my options are so limited that I can't even do that.

But, yeah, I know I am not alone in my situation (either the time sucks for people, the location sucks, and then there is the money which ties in with location) buuuuut it nice to know I am not alone. Just sucks that when I didn't have the resources to go, it was in August, but now that I can, they've switched back to April.

But my brothers and I are now discussing Comic-Con in 2017 (which, correct me if I am wrong, but nearly always is in mid-July to early August) or doing the typical Europe trip.

I'm glad the protest was peaceful, but the rest sucks (except for the fact that the conference is in limbo. I understand spending time on frivolous stuff if that makes you happy, but not when you can't afford it).

As for me, I finished my last class today (which I am kinda sad about because it was a really fun course), but I have my final project to write but I'm going to try to hunker down tonight and tomorrow to write it [because I also kinda want to start my summer and just lie on my couch and be mindless as I listen to audiobooks (someone made me think of the James Lunceno DL:RODV book and I kinda want to give it another listen).]

Edit: wow. that was really long. Sorry about that. My brain is in a meandering mood.

17. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    But it's not written by Carl Barks or Don Rosa... Though it does remind me of the superhero parody prints that Rosa sells at conventions.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And?

19. whiskers

May 19, 2005

They're the main Duck writer/artists I know!

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Then this is an excellent time for you to get to know more :)

Raissa Baiard and whiskers like this.
  21. whiskers

May 19, 2005

:D

22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    It's always a good time to read Duck comics! :D That one looks awesome, too.

Gamiel, whiskers and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Never judge a book by its cover...just like you don't judge a duck by its feathers... ;)

whiskers likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Oh yeah! I mean, woo-hoo!

But speaking of what is and isn't a duck...

(P.S, Briannakin - will get back to you - too sleepy!)

divapilot likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Chyntuck I heard that there is an exhibit in Athens of art and items from the Russian Hermitage. Have you seen it?

Chyntuck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.