main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have to be careful with clearance jewelry, too, for the same reason. I can only wear gold or surgical steel. My ears have been doing much better since I've worn only body jewelry and started stretching, though. In fact, my left finally healed properly!

Stretching has been a good thing.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I can wear plated or "tone" stuff for short periods, like a couple hours at a time, but my skin eats the plating off. I can wear gold (not gold-filled, though, skin still eats it), sterling, or stainless steel. My medical alert bracelet is stainless steel. I'm looking at getting a stainless steel Rebel Alliance ring off Anazon cause they're, like, $8, and sterling is $200+.

Did you guys know that for people with metal allergies, they make plastic French hook earrings? I've only seen them in black plastic, but they might come in other colours now. I'll have to look around.

Just saw Star Trek Beyond on IMAX. Still as fabulous the second time.

3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Star Trek Beyond is one of the best Star Trek movies I've seen! \\//

Haven't tried surgical steel jewelry.

Sent from my iPODD from another galaxy using Tapatalk

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    We interrupt this topic to bring you an important announcement.

Peridot's Twitter is the best Twitter.

We now return to your regularly-scheduled programming.

I haven't tried plastic earrings since having plastic posts back in high school. My skin will eat plating off, too. I used to have these titanium frame glasses with no plastic on the ear pieces. My skin ate through the ear pieces and corroded them and the skin around my ears.

5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Is this Peridot a Pokémon or a Steven Universe thing?

Cannot speak to earrings, but my "skin" has corroded the inside of glasses' ear pieces in the past too.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Peridot is from Steven Universe.

And my skin has been steadily chewing away at my plastic frames.

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Ack! It is hot and I get to spend a week living in a tent at Boy Scout camp. And if that is not bad enough, we had about 8 Cub Scouts cross over to the Boy Scouts so our troop is full of 12-13 year old boys that are running on hyperdrive.

I think this is the eighth Summer Camp I've spent chaperoning Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts. :confused: I just hope the weather cools off.

8. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

Take care, Jedi_Lover. I was once a Boy Scout at camp, myself. So I know that you're gonna need it.

It's been HOT HOT HOT! here as well, so my mom and I wheeled my grandma over to the local park, found her a nice shady spot with the cooler nearby, and went swimming in their man-made lake.

We also went early in the day so that it didn't reach maximum temperature, and frequently checked in on her.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Too hot for me, so I stayed inside. I'm on antibiotics and need to avoid the sun anyway.

whiskers likes this.
  10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    (This was originally a Tumblr screenshot going around on Facebook, but I couldn't share it directly because of a disallowed word in the image. Hence, you get description instead.)

For everyone struggling with self-doubt over the quality of their writing (or artwork or other creative endeavor):

The cake maker brings his cake out to the front counter, sees a larger and better cake already sitting there, and thinks, "aw man, his cake is better than mine."

Meanwhile, the customer on the other side of the counter is just thinking, "HOLY CRAP! TWO CAKES! Can I eat both of them?"

Moral: just because one fic is better than another does not mean that readers can't enjoy both. :)

Tarsier, whiskers, Sith-I-5 and 3 others like this.
  11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That pic's crossed my dash a few times.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I agree with the heat sediment and will remind those in colder climates in about 17-18 weeks (if the weather follows the cycle it has loosely followed for who knows how many years).

Man, I never realized that we had a budding superhero on the site. :)

As for the fic thing my problem usually is 'is this junk or is it just my insecurities and self doubt talking?' But a good reminder nonetheless.

Sent from my iPODD from another galaxy using Tapatalk

13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I don't have problems with any kind of metal, but I only like non-fancy stuff. I don't understand expensive jewelry, other in war time when one can, err, sell it for a loaf of bread or something.

As far as heat goes, I have barely used the fan this year. We're on the second major heat wave, it's going to be up to 35 degrees Celsius today, but it's nothing compared to last year when we had that for two months non-stop, with only one small break, and the constant rains of 2014. I'm glad to see a normal year, for a change. But then I read that we're the European country with the highest risk of disaster next to Netherlands and Italy...ummm...

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It is hot at camp and rained all day yesterday. Two boys used the troop tents but nobody inspected them. One was missing a rain cover and the other was missing poles. We rented a tent from the camp but they gave us an old military canvas pup tent. It had no floor so the kids would have to sleep in the mud. Finally the troop next to us lent us a tent and helped us put it up in the dark and pouring rain. My sons were squared away, but our troop definatly was not prepared. I can't wait to get home.

15. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    That kind of crap wouldn't have flown in the troop I was in. Sorry to hear about your woes, and here's hoping things get better.

16. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Observations from a Midwestern Star Wars fan: Han Solo (and George Lucas) apparently never actually saw a crop duster in action. These guys have mad piloting skillz. It's the height of corn growing season, and the crop dusters are out almost every morning in the fields along the highway. They go up and into a steep dive and level out so close to the ground you'd swear they would buzz the top of your car. They have moves you don't usually see outside of an air show. So yeah, Solo, I think a crop duster could handle plugging a course into an astrogation computer. ;)

On a related tangent, how/why would you crop dust a moisture farm? It's possible I'm overthinking this. :D

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Han probably is just referring to dusting crops in general—remember, he's from Corellia, which would get on just fine using "traditional" crop-dusting methods. Of course, in the future there may be crop-dusting drones, which would kind of be a sad thing to see happen. You're right in that crop-dusters have to be damn good pilots; it is not easy to keep a plane going straight and level at that low of an altitude!

18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Jedi_Lover - had all the vehicles that delivered your troop to the camp site, driven away? I would have thought putting youngsters and sleeping bags into the back seat of a car, or across the seats of a minibus would have been considered before the bedding down in mud option.

Raissa Baiard - I don't think Han was thinking about what type of farm Luke had come from, and I doubt that Luke had identified himself as a farmer. I think Solo was just making a general statement based on Tatooine, probably not seeing Luke around town before, and the youth being covered in sand.

19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's been really hot here as well. We went out to see Star Trek Beyond and the 10 block walk to the theater was draining, it was so hot and humid.

Jedi_Lover- Ugh... doesn't sound like a great camping trip. :(

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    The kids wouldn't have slept in the mud. I have an 8 man tent and my sons could share with me in a pinch and give their tents to the other boys...but we were hoping for another option. I am really tired of having to give up my tents, flashlights, and other items because we are prepared and other people aren't.

Yesterday one kid asked to borrow money. My son said, "You said your dad gave you $40?". He said, "He did but I spent it.". We were only at camp for four hours! He bought donuts, candy and other junk. I told my kids he has to learn consequences, so don't lend money. Five more days to go!

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    C'Boath on a bike; that kid spent two [units of currency] more than the spending spree that followed my first ever proper pay cheque - I spent £38.

Things must be expensive at the camp shops to burn through that much in four hours!

Well done for being so prepared.

22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yeah, the trading posts at these Scout camps can and will price-gouge, especially seeing as their main customers are teenage boys with too much time (and money) on their hands. ;)

Just out of curiosity, have you got any experience with the (original) Boy Scouts in Britain?

23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Greece, straight ahead :)

[​IMG]

24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Hope you're enjoying your holiday, Chyntuck! :D [:D]

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I helped supervise a Cub Scout troop for a few months to help out a friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.