main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I don't watch SU, but that is an amazing drawing Trak.

I just finished The West Wing and I gotta say, I don't think I've ever been so satisfied with an ending, but simultaneously wanted more. I really like it when TV series get to finish on their own terms and don't get canceled (IE Firefly) or turn into a horsebeating fest for the money (Stargate), but, at the same time, I want to see Matt Santos' presidency! I think this might be one of those (few) series where I return to watch for a second time.

Thorn058 and leiamoody like this.
  2. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    I think it has a lot to do with Sorkin's writing. Every year I go back and binge watch episodes of all his shows but West Wing is one of my favorites probably because it went on as long as it did. Most of the main actors remain those characters to me long after the show stopped. CJ is always CJ, Josh no matter what he is in is always Josh, heck I couldn't watch Psyche without seeing Charlie.

mavjade likes this.
  3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, the writing was amazing, as was the casting and the acting. As a Canadian with some knowledge about how the American government works, I felt it was really engaging and once I googled a few things, it was really intelligent without being boring.

I just found the The West Wing Weekly podcast that Joshua Malina does that mavjade mentioned and I'm kinda tempted to catch up (the podcast does like a commentary on an episode once a week, and they are only just finishing the first season) so I can discuss them with people as they come out. But I also suck at keeping up with podcasts, so we will see.

4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Well, today's session of archery did yield one round where I put four of five arrows in the yellow on the standard 60in target at 10 yards. The fifth arrow landed in the red, just outside of the yellow area. Unfortunately it was my best round by far for the day, because there were loads and loads of other archers there (including many kids 10 and under) which meant the number of rounds I could do in the hour allotted was reduced by half.

Still, it's progress, and I'm really loving my bow!

Chyntuck, whiskers and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm sorry about your chicken Lady_Misty :( I'm glad the rest were okay!

I know, right?! There have been many people who have asked to have a mini-series done of what happens Post-Bartlet's White House since pretty much all of the actors involved are always willing to do something West Wing related. See THIS walk and talk on James Cordon 3 months ago and Allison Janney takes over the actual White House press briefing and makes several West Wing jokes, as just recent examples.

As soon as I stopped watching, I wanted to turn around and start again (I have thus far managed to not do that). That's not something that normally happens with me. I'm pretty much obsessed.

whiskers and Briannakin like this.
  6. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Had another go with the bow today at the range, this time with it almost empty after the first five to ten minutes. That meant I could do round after round of five arrows to everyone else's three, and today things went much, much better with consistent groupings in the yellows and reds. Almost had a five-in-the-yellow round twice, but each was spoiled by one arrow being just on the wrong side of the border. All in all, I feel as though I'm finally starting to come to grips with this bow, though true mastery is going to take a while because by the halfway point I was starting to really feel the exertion once more. By the forty-five minute mark, muscle fatigue was setting in, but I powered through it to decent results.

Jim thinks I'm almost ready for personal scorekeeping and 20-yard shooting, as he was quite impressed with how good I'm getting at the "base range" of ten yards.

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Those are awesome! I've been finding other random parodies, panels and even that podcast with the actors. It's so great that so many of them (and the creators) are willing to do such things like 10 years after the show ended. I can see why people are hopeful for an eventual continuation/reboot/miniseries. I'm actually really surprised how active the fandom still is. The West Wing subreddit is fairly active. Its great to actually discuss something I've just binged watched.

I've been considering turning around and watching it again too (something I don't do either) but I think I might hold off for a few months.

In other news, my roommate's vagabond friend is crashing here. I think I posted about him and his dog before. They just smell so bad and he always uses my washing machine and dryer and stinks up the laundry room (which is attached to my suite). I thought about putting something in the washer to prevent him from doing so, but I did all my laundry earlier today (maybe that was a good thing), so I just shut the laundry room door and hoped my roommate would get the hint and NOT offer our laundry services. Nope. I either need to get a lock for the door, or set my roommate straight.

mavjade and whiskers like this.
  8. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Had to take my grandma to the urgent care clinic today. She's okay, but she spilled a full cup of coffee onto her lap. Thankfully, she wears long pajamas all year long, but she did suffer a little bit of second degree burns.

Keep a good grip on your coffee, all.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh no! I'm glad your grandmother is okay whiskers ! That's quite a painful place to get a burn (not that anywhere isn't painful!).

whiskers likes this.
  10. whiskers

May 19, 2005

It rightfully scared the crap out of me, and I had to call my mom (who has the car) to come take a look at it. She's feeling fine now, and hasn't really complained about it since we went to the urgent care.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ouch! I'm glad your grandmother is alright and feeling okay whiskers

I'm currently considering having a full scale freak out on my roommate. I hear the doorbell ring and I know he's at work this evening (and his wife is gone away until the weekend, which might be why this is happening), so I go and answer it (I was debating not doing so) and it's the vagabond, his friend, and his dog. The dog burst past me and bolts up the stairs, followed by the vagabonds mumbling "[roommate] said we could crash here again."

Am I justified in yelling at him (my roommate), or am I just annoyed about the fact that the vagabond was in my laundry room, starting and stopping the dryer until 1:30 AM LAST NIGHT AND HE LEFT THE LIGHT ON!

whiskers likes this.
  12. whiskers

May 19, 2005

Not a jury in the world would convict. :p

Briannakin likes this.
  13. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Keep the dog.

Briannakin likes this.
  14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The dog is quite cute (and I'm assuming well trained since I've rarely hear him bark and he gets dragged across Canada). But my roommate is still at work and I gotta go to bed pretty soon since I have to go for some blood tests tomorrow morning (I hate fasting blood tests, another reason why I'm about to go she-hulk), then my brother is helping me drag my cat over to my mom's where I might as well just stay. So I might not get the chance to unleash my fury on my roommate.

But would it be way too passive aggressive if I block the laundry room door closed with the deep-freeze? I'd move it in the morning and I want to get some sleep.

15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I think you really need to put your foot down in regards to your roommate's "guest(s)." Sounds to me like he's abusing the trust here, and so is/are his "friend(s)," which unfortunately means that you've got to play your part and be the hard-ass landlord that's had it up to here with this kind of thing. Perhaps reexamining the lease may help, it'll certainly give you a leg to stand on if this gets to be too much and the unscheduled visits cross the line—especially if any property gets damaged.

Keep the police on speed dial as well, in case you have to have the vagabond(s) thrown out.

whiskers and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree with Goodwood. Time to put your foot down and say "no". If you don't like the person, you have no obligation to allow them in your house.

Goodwood likes this.
  17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Throw the dudes out. Keep the dog.

Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    But my lord, is that... legal?

Lady_Misty, Goodwood and TrakNar like this.
  19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I will make it legal.

20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    At one in the morning?!? In my room i can hear the washing machine and the dyer run but then my room and the laundry room are technically right next to each other (the washer and dryer are in an alcove and my open closet is on the other side and it has kept me awake at night. Leaving the light on all night is a borderline sin in my house right now since we have 'night lights' in the halls and two bathrooms on either side of the house so no reason to keep a light on all night (we used to keep the upstairs bathroom on all night in our old house but that was mostly because it was almost pitch black in most of the house at night).

I am with everyone else: take the guy to a homeless shelter and keep the dog.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I unfortunately missed my roommate this morning but I'm still more than a tad annoyed. My roommate left before I did, but there were CLEARLY people upstairs from the noise they were making. I'm not going to invoke the lease on him - it's reasonable that he can have guests, but I just feel so uneasy when they are practically hobos and they are there when he isn't. IDK if I should let it slide because I'm going away and there's no really good time for me to have a sensible conversation with him. Or should I put my foot down? Would it be appropriate if I text him and say "Hey, when I get back into town, we need to have a conversation about your guests. I'm kinda annoyed."

22. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Briannakin - you can throw the ****** out, and he can remain outside till the roommate comes home, and if the roommate is permitting him to stay, that only applies when he is home too!

You shouldn't be expected to play host to a stranger while whomever that abo is friends with, is absent.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    If I were you Briannakin i would ask them to leave simply because I would be uncomfortable with someone I didn't know in my apartment and I would have words with my roommate about this. But that is me and I don't know how you feel about it.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    "Laundry room"?! LOL, North America. o_O We do that kind of stuff in the bathroom.

But seriously, throw the muppets out, keep the dog.

I'm full. The owner of the restaurant we used to eat at when I was a kid may not own a restaurant anymore, but he still doesn't understand the meaning of the words such as "full", "no more" and "please, no". He first took us for ice cream because, back in the early 1990s, he would buy me one every night and he remembered that; and then he invites us to this place in the pedestrian street where they serve nothing but roasted lamb and lamb liver...

...or so we thought before he remembered that they didn't bring us potatoes in the middle of lunch and then again before they brought Greek yoghurt in honey, with maraschino cherries.

We just had no heart to tell the poor dude that we'd already had fried eggplant, fries, shrimp, minty fish nuggets and tuna salad for lunch. And he wants us to come to a dinner at his place one of the next days and meet his daughter and granddaughter - HALP.

Greeks, Y U eat so much? And y u eat at night? :p

I am sitting on the balcony, looking at the sea across the street and listening to live music from a nearby cafe. The guy is acing Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale" and since it's the same cafe that serves bubble gum ice cream and plays stuff such as Nirvana, REM and Bob Dylan during the day, I like them a lot.

25. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Some people have their laundry room and bathroom in the same room and others have separate rooms for them.

Glad you had a good time

Ewok Poet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.