main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Last week I started visiting a coffee-and-cake shop to buy three spinach rolls to snack upon over three days, and today, spotted a friend inside a newsagents doing some photocopying.

We had coffee together for 90 minutes in the cake shop.

whiskers likes this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Wild turkeys totally wonder around Massachusetts. When I lived in Cambridge (MA) every time I would walk to Harvard Square they'd be walking in the road or on the sidewalk. We're talking a pretty major metropolitan area and turkeys are just wondering about.

We went to a Weird Al concert tonight (this was the week of, we've had tickets to things for a long time and hey look at that, they just happened to be in the same week) and he did The Saga Begins and Yoda as the encores. And there was a Lin-Manuel Miranda cameo, he ran on stage to sing the chorus of Yoda and then ran back off. :D

I also learned there is a Tim Hortons in NYC. It's been quite the week. :p

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I'm so jelly of you, Mav...

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So jealous (of the concerts, not of the turkeys or the Timmies - I can walk to the nearest Timmies, there are so many around).

I spent today doing homework. But I managed to finish all I needed to do today, so I went and bugged my mom and worked on her quilt. Tomorrow I gotta finish a research proposal. If I survive this semester, it will be a minor miracle.

But I got started on the new Jenna Coleman series Victoria. It's really good. If you enjoy historical dramas (and Jenna Coleman being short and cute), I recommend it. There are 5 episodes out thus far and I think there are only going to be 8 in total, which is good because it means I won't feel the desire to drain away an hour every week. Though I'm still trying to decide if I want to try to watch Rebels every week, or just binge watch all the episodes when the season is finished like I've done for the past 2 seasons.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I don't watch television, outside of Formula One, so unsure what media this was, but either news or an advert was doing a survey of British pedestrians to see if they knew what a "Tim Hortons" or a "double double" were, as a precursor to the chain coming to the UK.

The impression I got from the two who had Canadian friends, and two of the three Canadians they showed, was that it is like a Poundland for coffees.
    Like, if you had $4, you would go to Starbucks (Canadian girl literally said that); but a bit short, **** it, Tim Hortons it is.

Briannakin and Darth_Furio like this.
  7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I prefer Sheetz. That's my Tim Hortons.

8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    If I'm going to an actual coffee shop, my preference is Costa Coffee.

9. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

I see the artist of that has read The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe.

Gamiel likes this.
  10. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008

When I work evenings I enjoy Starbucks more than Tim Horten's, but if it's past 11 pm, I'm stuck and I'll have to go to Tim's. It's basically a backup plan for me now. Before getting a stready job and while in school, Tim's was my go to. Money has raised my standards. :p

11. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I must admit even now I still have a strong distaste for coffe, I donĀ“t know why. Maybe because my father is an adict.
    I prefer tea :)

Gamiel likes this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm a tea drinker also.

13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank heaven for search engines.

I was four letters into "fair deals for coffee farmers" when the answer came up: Fairtrade.

I once accompanied a friend / colleague to a Fairtrade exhibition at the town hall near where we worked, and I subsequently developed my loyalty to Costa Coffee because they were the coffee outlet out of the available choices that did Fairtrade, and even though they have moved onto some sort of equally buzzword-sounding Alliance (not Rebel though, I checked), I am still there, though less so since we got a coffee machine - real beans! - at work.

14. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    With real beans?
    My parents prefer those too, I never understood that. It's louder and more expensive.
    Is there an advantage in the quality?

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, that's about right. There's a reason why the Starbucks at my university was quickly replaced by a Timmies. Because we are all dirt poor. Though I don't drink coffee or any hot liquid, so for me, it's the choice between an ice-capp, or a frappuccino.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    To be perfectly honest, it could quite literally be a scam.

There is a transparent "bowl" on top of this machine filled with beans, but in several months, I have not seen the contents budge or get replenished; frankly, my focus is always on the liquid spouts. There are some perculators that are noisy as frag, but this one, whilst you couldn't take it on a stealth raid, is not that noisy.

Anedon likes this.
  17. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well my father had to replenished now and than and it has wolen me up several times.
    I'm waiting for the day when we get a coffee mashine you could take on a stealth raid ;)

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My coffee maker is a small cheap one that can't handle beans. I use a reusable basket filter in it and prefer Eight O'Clock coffee.

I've had coffee at Starbucks all of once. I much prefer Sheetz, and now our Sheetz stores have dine-in options.

19. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
  20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Half past midnight, power cut while I am in the bathroom.

a) Thank God for smartphones. Simple enough to sign in and get the assistive light activated.

b) Why in the Original Light do car alarms get set off when the lights come back on? Car alarms are not light sensitive to my knowledge; they are not plugged into the National Grid...hang on, that's a point. I'm not going out to check, but maybe the alarming vehicle is a Tesla (electric vehicle).

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The flashlight on my iphone has saved me plenty of times. I don't even think I have to unlock it.

And that would make sense if the car is an electric. Our house alarm goes off every time the power comes back on, even though we don't have the security system set up (though we still have all the security stickers on the windows).

And I'm just here procrastinating finishing my research proposal. I'm kinda regretting picking this topic, but at the same time, I have to have this proposal done by Wednesday, and I really don't feel like doing another 2000 word annotated bibliography before then.

Is this semester over yet!?

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Trak - I'm with you on the Sheetz, I really miss them! I especially loved that you could order and never have to talk to anyone! The town I grew up in had just gotten our first Sheetz only a few months before I moved away, they now have 4. (We had them when I was in college, which is where I fell in love.)

TrakNar likes this.
  23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I caught a Dewgong there earlier today. I named it Sheetz.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  24. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Well got back from visiting my boyfriend; his cousin got married Saturday and it was a great time to meet his dad's side of the family. I love his family but that clock in the living room . . . lets just say that next time I sleep over and the couch is free I either need a white noise app for my iPod or I need the music to be too loud so I only hear the clock between tracks.

Got about a half a pound of Jelly Belly Beans during my visit too; i don't know if those are sold locally anymore where you can choose which ones you get and how much.

I am so jealous mav that you got to go to a Weird Al Concert!

I don't drink coffee so I can't sympathize with anyone over problems with coffee makers or any of that.

25. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    The kids and I were driving home yesterday. We were about a half mile from our destination when I had to stop because something was in the road. We looked at some big brown animal for a second, wondering what it was when it moved and stretched out its wings. It was a huge bird eating something in the road. It turned around to look at us and we realized it was a bald eagle. It flew up to a tree leaving the dead animal in the road. I drove around its kill when suddenly it dived down at us. The kids say, "It's coming right at us!" It swooped just feet over my car and grabbed his meal before he took off. That was cool.

jcgoble3, TrakNar and Goodwood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.