main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I'm blushing [face_blush]

I do recommend The Maltese Falcon. It teams up Bogart, Greenstreet, and Lorre , and that's an ensemble you can't go wrong with. Haven't seen Double Indemnity yet but I need to. Film noir with insurance salesmen!

And on the subject of cosplay, my husband (who is not much of a SW fan) surprised me by telling me we're going to Celebration on spring break! I am working on ideas for cosplay; I was surprised when my seamstress mother went for @Findswoman's suggestion that I should go as Hera. (I showed her my action figure, and she's like "yeah, I could do that." :) ) I have convinced Mr. B that logically, he needs to go as Kanan. If I had any means of fabricating armor, I would try to convince the Youngling to go a Sabine with the prospect of coloring her hair pink (or blue. Or whatever).

So if you are at Celebration and see a middle-aged Twi'lek wearing glasses, it might just be me.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    OOOoo! I WILL be at Celebration! I don't know what I'm dressing up as; probably just a middle-aged SW fan with a Phryne haircut. But I will definitely keep my eyes open for a Twilek in glasses. For armor, google something called EVA foam. I've also heard of something called Fosshape or Wonderflex. Have never tried any of them. But really, breast plate & shoulder pauldrons, think you could get away with a body suit for the rest.

We should think about a FanFic meetup; we did that at CIII, and it was fun! Basically, got a list of names, made a reservation at a restaurant then all hung out.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ugh. I hate you all for going to Celebration :p My brothers and I considered it for our grad trip, but then they announced it was going to be in April and there was just no way we were risking it in our final semesters.

But I demand pics of any and all costumes and any fanfic meet-ups!

Kahara likes this.
  4. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I wasn't originally planning to go, but my friend can be veeery persuasive... not like she had to twist my arm much. The 501st is giving a huge party; I broke down & got tix. Theme is "a wretched hive of scum & villainy." I can't figure out what to wear. My friend is going in her Jedi costume. I need to figure out where I put mine and if it still fits (I know the X-wing costume won't...=((). And the cool blaster has to stay home, because I don't trust TSA.

Kahara likes this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I want to do a cosplay at Celebration, I just haven't figured out what yet. I've had a ballet Vader on the mind for years, but I might switch that up and do a BB8. Or something entirely different... I have no idea.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  6. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Are you coming too? [face_dancing]

Ballet Vader...heh heh, as the black swan with one of those tiaras on his helmet?

Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ballet Vader would be awesome!

My brothers and I were going to do Jaina, Jacen and Anakin Solo. They were going to carry around signs that said "Dead" and my sign was going to say "No Longer Canon". BUUUUUUT the plan for our grad trip is now to play some shenanigans in the British isles (we are waiting on their 18th birthday so they can get adult passports before we book everything) so I'm not that bummed :p

I got nothing done today (this semester is going downhill fast) and tomorrow my mom roped me into trying to complete a baby quilt (or at least just the top) in a day. I made her select a fairly simple pattern, so we shall see if I can do it.

Kahara and Anedon like this.
  8. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    For me those thre will always be the heroes of my childhood and the heroes of SW. :)
    Nice that you and your brothers thought about cosplaying them.

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I am! :D

Yeah, pretty much! A black tutu, his chest plate on the bodice, some form of short cape. I hadn't thought about a tiara on his helmet... that's good! I like it!

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  10. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Hot glue or rubber cement could keep the tiara in place & be fairly reversible.

Kahara and mavjade like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What Celebration are people talking about?

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Celebration Anaheim - the Star Wars convention in April (I think it's technically celebration VIII, but I think they've stopped numbering them).

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Oooh, how I wish I could go to Celebration someday! But it always take place at the wrong time, or I can't afford it, or both :( (They wouldn't ever consider holding Celebration Europe on a Greek island, would they?)

Meanwhile though, Mr Chyntuckopoulos is going to Paris for his work next week and I'll be tagging along, so life isn't all bad!

Gamiel likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The desktop computer tower was making odd sounds. I realised it was due for its twice-a-year vacuuming opened it and found shed dog hair, more shed dog hair, even more shed dog hair...

...and two dead stinkbugs. How do those things get everywhere and they're not even sand, it's beyond me.

I'm all for ballerina Vader and bespectacled Hera. :D

mavjade , Kahara and Raissa Baiard like this.
  15. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    [face_laugh] I suppose it's one way of getting you off the computer & spending more time with them.

I'd have to save my money, but I'd do Celebration on a Greek Island. Actually, I'd do almost anything on a Greek Island. I was very into Greek mythology when I was a kid, wanted to be an archaeologist & visit all the places I read about (Delphi, Olympus, Athens, Crete)... Maybe I'll put it on my 60th bday list (since Egypt is still iffy). I did Paris for my 50th. What a great city! And with all the walking, I didn't worry myself about counting calories.

Kahara, Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    My boyfriend, now fiancé, and I were going to go to Celebration but by the time we decided to purchase the tickets there were no four day tickets available. :( And we weren't sure if it was worth it to just fly down for a couple of days and then fly home. It was disappointing because we were going to go as Kylo Ren and Rey.

Now I'm a little more disappointed we waited too long hearing about a Ballet Vader and a Twi'lek wearing glasses.

Bri that's a great idea and would probably get tons of attention.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Kahara likes this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I'm a web developer, so I don't have much choice. I have to sit at the computer and sometimes, when people don't get that "freelancer" does not translate to "available 247", it gets annoying.

In the end, it turned out that the fan in the power supply was broken. I had to carry the tower to the nearest computer repair shop, with everything covered in nice because we have actual winter this year. But they had a spare and it was a cheap repair, so I'm relieved now.

But yeah, I totally want to spend more time with stinkbugs. :D

P.S. I...had no idea you were over 50. Like...you can be my mother and I'm not that young at all. O_O

whiskers likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  19. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Over 50 is awesome. I'm in that club too. I earned every single freaking wrinkle.

20. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    My brain still thinks I'm 15. Every time I drink alcohol or engage in other, ahem, adult activities, I feel like I'm getting away with something! But I do remember seeing SW on the big screen when it first came out. Darth Vader was literally 20 feet tall, especially since the only seats left in the theater were in the first row. I thought the Stormtroopers were robots. And yeah, even then, I was rooting for Wedge! :xwing:

Thirty was an awful birthday. Fifty rocks! I'm at the age where I know who I am and I don't give a darn what anyone thinks of me.

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  21. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    My older sister and I were sitting in the front to watch SW, too! :D We played SW the rest of the summer....and I never once got to be Princess Leia. :p

Thirty was actually a pretty awesome birthday for me, because at age 29 I was waiting for a heart transplant (received one month and 2 weeks after turning 29...also a week and a half after AotC premiered. I made my sister promise that if I was in the hospital when it came out, she would write George Lucas and get me a private screening. ;)) I had a co-worker who wanted to do the whole black/old/tombstone motif for my 30th...I was like, yeah, you really don't get it, do you?

Have not hit 50 yet, but it will be awesome, too, because it will mean almost 20 years post-transplant and 20 years since I met my husband. :)

22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Celebration is in Orlando, FL this time. Everyone thinks they are going to alternate the U.S. Celebrations between Orlando and Anaheim, which makes sense because that's where the Disney parks are.

Lady_Misty - I'd say it's still worth going for only a few days of Celebration. Friday and Saturday are always the biggest/craziest days. Also, there are plenty of other things you can do in Orlando: Disney World, Sea World, Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure. We always go down the Monday before the con so we can go and hang out at all the theme parks.

I went to the Women's March in NYC today. I saw a lot of amazing signs (many I can't say here) but one of my favorites said "Even the introverts are here!"
    [face_laugh]

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  23. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I'll run it by him mavjade and see if he would like to hit up Disney World or Universal; might be better than a honeymoon cruise (even though we're looking at an early August wedding.

mavjade likes this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Why did I think Celebration was in Anaheim? (PROBABLY because I saw the dates and knew it would be pointless no matter what the location)

I succeeded in sewing the entire top for a baby quilt today. I am POOPED.

Lady_Misty and Chyntuck like this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I hated my 30th birthday. I was pretending to be 30 from when I turned 29, hoping that I would become universally respected overnight, but nah. And then I got a bunch of health problems, debilitating allergies and went up to 90 kg. Everybody whom I invited over proposed a different day to come and it took me five days to get them in the same place...and then, the Usual Suspect (the friend I made peace with last month) was two hours late despite living closer than everybody else, nibbled on a single bruschetta and asked me to finish it for her and...yeah, it sucked.

Weeks from turning 34, everybody calls me "little girl", including people younger than me. I thought that it would change now that I can actually get in a clothing store and fit into most things, but nah. Back in August, there was somebody who genuinely did not believe that I, err, existed in 1994.

I know. I don't forget things, most of the time. I just didn't want to out you without your approval or whatever. As a daughter of a person born in 1941 who was permanently 33 until 2016, when I turned 33, I never know. :p

Hey, you make me sound old now. I'm not into any of those activities. :eek:

And this is where I ask, because I genuinely don't understand...what's the deal with pilots? I mean, what makes them so appealing?

And we are happy that it all happened that way, because we get the privilege of having you in our lives. <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.