main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    We naming childhood pets?

Two goldfish, Flipper and Jaws. Lived in a retired bath in the back garden.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

I've always been lazy when it came to naming pets, generally keeping the name that someone else gave them.

My namesake, however, is a pet that I particularly enjoyed picking his name. When I found Whiskers at the humane society, he was very, very sick. He had lost weight due to several ailments (kennel cough being a primary ailment), so his face was especially thin, making his whiskers look extremely long. Even though he was nursed back to health, the name stuck.

Ewok Poet and Sith-I-5 like this.
  3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Childhood pet names, uh, the first cat the family had was named 'Frisky' that was gray and maybe had a pattern, then we had a Momma Cat with some kittens, Momma was 'Mandy' and one of the kittens was 'Oreo'. I had a Siamese mix that I called 'Milkshake' and then there was Ahsoka. The dogs were Toby, Dandy and Skamp.

4. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Just to let everyone know: I'm not deliberately ignoring stories. I'm just really busy at a new job and moving house. I get time offline so am writing too. Lady_Misty Ahsoka is a brill name. :)

Chyntuck and Lady_Misty like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

I always wanted to know the story of your username, I guess I do now. :D My ex went with "Patches" and "Rocky" on some forums, which were the names of his grandparents' cats.

Is Whiskers still alive and, if so, how is he now?

Before Judi and Agi, I had only budgies...

Đoka (my first pet and the only cuddly bird I have ever had, had a digestive defect and died before he turned two). A rough translation would be "Georgie", a nickname for Đorđe. He was named after a bird our friends in Dubrovnik in Croatia owned. Kids mocked me for that name, because it's one of the newer euphemisms for a penis, as well. He never learned to speak, but he would attempt to say "Oka" every now and then. Đ was an issue.

Bili ( I had her for only two months, she was sick when I got her, a friend bought her in a suspicious place :( ). She was named after Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day. I was 13. Funny enough, she died around the time Green Day announced their year-long break after a stressful Insomniac tour. O_O

Điđi (the white budgie I had for almost five years and died of cancer). He was named after Italian dance musician, Gigi d'Agostino. I always liked that guy's name, it sounds so...sophisticated. Funny enough, though he never spoke, Gigi LOVED music, especially classical and Kylie Minogue (the song "Slow" would make him puff up and whisper sweet nothings). He hated Christina Aguilera's voice and the Red Hot Chili Peppers' song "Hump de Bump".

...and for a short time, I owned a street cat until I noticed that I had a severe allergy. His name was Macika, the closest translation would be Kitty.

mavjade likes this.
  6. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

Whiskers passed away from diabetic complications at the age of ~9-10 about 9 years ago. We had him, however, for 8 great and healthy years.

Ewok Poet and Lady_Misty like this.
  7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Flipper and Jaws are awesome goldfish names!!! And I like Whiskers, think it would actually be a good name for an otter.

Laughing at the Valentine's Day masthead...Master Kenobi does get around, doesn't he?! [face_love] But if a Ewan McGregor-lookalike wanted a smooch from me, I wouldn't turn him down!!!

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    A friend of a friend recently named their new kitten "And Peggy" which I thought was hilarious and I laughed for an embarsiingly long time.

For those not familiar, it's a Hamilton reference. In real life Margarita "Peggy" Schuyler (sister of Eliza Hamilton) didn't play a huge role in Alexander Hamilton's life, so she's not in the show very long (the actress goes on to play another woman who has a significant role in his life). In the first song they are in, the Schuyler sisters sing their names, she comes last so her line is "and Peggy." And that's about the end of her in the show. "And Peggy" has become kinda a thing in the musical theater world at the moment.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't understand this. It is only 2am, when I normally stay up until 4 or 5am. And I have been up for less than 12 hours, as I finally shut off my alarm this afternoon at 2:30pm. And I have done essentially nothing today except be lazy. Yet I feel so physically and mentally exhausted and so sore throughout my body that it's as if I ran a marathon, took a bar exam, and went 15 rounds with Muhammad Ali all in one day. I hope I sleep well tonight. I'm already in bed under the covers, posting this from my phone, and will be turning out the lights in just a few minutes. Good night.

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Maybe you are fighting off a bug or infection or something?

My sleep scedual is all messed up, but I'm blaming that on cats and the fact that my roommates are gone. I'm not as bad as I used to be with sleeping in this big house alone, but I still don't sleep like I usually do. Which is making me so very unproductive which is bad considering my motivation has already plummeted. I only have one long research paper to do - it's 4000 words (though considering I chose not to do it with a partner, I can probably get away with 3500). I have less than 2 weeks to do it and I have 400 words down. I might try some coffee induced word vomit tomorrow, because it is just one of those profs, if you just do the requirement, regardless of the quality, you are guaranteed a half-decent mark.

Regarding pet names, our family wasn't too bad at it. We had a German Shepard named Ryker, a general mutt named Seeker - both had to be put down due to health problems, but they lived to pretty good old ages - then someone gave us a Shetland sheepdog already named Casey. Casey was as dumb as a sack of rocks, and neither Ryker nor Seeker were exactly intelligent (we had a problem with dumb dogs, which is probably why I prefer cats). Casey had epilepsy (something the former owner never bothered to tell us), an eating problem (HE WOULD EAT ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING). He was walking into walls and doors and the vet figured he had a brain tumor, so we put him down. My brothers also had a Bengal cat who never got a name. We called her Cat. Then there were the hermit crabs. My brothers had them for a school project and named them after hockey players. Of course, I had my own names for them, after STIs.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...jcgoble3, TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF. I had the same symptoms yesterday and the day before, and ...I ended above the toilet bowl this morning. I literally couldn't sit in my chair for two evenings in a row, I'd climb the stairs from the building door to our flat and get scary palpitations, the kind I didn't even have when I was borderline obese.

Funny enough, after *that* happened, I have no appetite to speak of, but I feel okay.

12. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000

Sometimes, the battery just runs out. Every now & then I have a weekend like that, where I only get vertical because the cat insists on being fed, and my only accomplishment is brushing my teeth. Could be a flu, could be an incipient cold, could just be exhaustion. If your body is telling it needs to kick back, then best to go with the flow... [face_tired]

13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I didn't climb out of bed until 3:30pm today. Woke up with a cough and upset stomach. I took some cold/flu relief medication to help, and a meal took away the upset stomach. I'm due for another dose of the flu relief medicine and will probably be going to bed even earlier tonight. I have to work 4pm to 11pm tomorrow, and I can't afford to call in sick, so hopefully I can get through the day.

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    *throws in a Like of sympathy*

You definitely got the same thing that I had yesterday! :( It's been making rounds pretty much all over the Northern Hemisphere. Have some chicken soup, plain boiled white rice and bananas and sleep, a lot. The flu medicine is not likely to help it, because stomach bugs work differently.

Hope you'll be OK. Please, take good care of yourself!

mavjade and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Get better soon jcgoble3 [:D]

It's tsiknopempti here today, i.e. "The Thursday of the Smoke of Grilled Meat" -- because yes, Greek can say all that in a single word!

Okay, more simply today is the last Thursday before Lent. Orthodox Lent is vegan, so this is our chance to eat lots of meat. Not that I'll be fasting on Monday, but a chance to eat souvlaki and kebab should never go amiss =P~ I might even go out to downtown later; it's also carnival and I haven't been to a single carnival party this year.

Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I ended up leaving work at 7pm. I was pretty much dragging my feet everywhere from lack of energy, so they sent me home. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow for my 1pm-6pm shift.

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This all sounds too much like me - I got away with only one day of [face_sick], but the other thing is there and while it's manageable, it exhausts me and I feel like I am three times as old...which is roughly making me a centenarian.

And what's weird is how, despite all this, I have the appetite of an average whale. THE BAKERY OPENS IN THREE HOURS AND THEN, IT'S ALL MINE. And, Chyntuck - ALL THOSE THINGS BELONG TO ME NOW, OKAY?

a) Germans could fit more words into a single word, I'm sure.
    b) Is Greek lent completely vegan? Ours is vegan-pescetarian, that's why. And one of those six weeks is supposed to be done without vegetable fat, too...somehow.
    c) I can't do it, won't do it, even now at 20% percentage of body fat and enough lean muscle mass, I just won't. If nothing else, for the eggs and cheese. I need my rocket fuel.

On a completely different note, I watched the first seven episodes of Rebels at last because Raissa Baiard :p, as well as the ten HoloNet news reports and four character introduction shorts that served as previews. I like everything I have seen so far, the character growth is handled marvelously (e.g. Ezra is unbearable in the first episode, but by the fifth, he's a great kid), but I hope that the later episodes bring more character development for Hera and Sabine. So far, I really, really like Chopper's BWOP-BWOP vocalisations and those tiny "hands" more than anything else. That, and how Phantom detaches from Ghost.

I also typed all the characters, if anybody's interested. Because mad.

Kahara, Lady_Misty, Chyntuck and 4 others like this.
  18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I hope you feel better soon, jcgoble!

Chyn - And I love that there is a word that translates to that, because it is awesome and the world needs such a word! Also, I had no idea Orthodox Lent was vegan.

I think I need a new job. I've been at this place for almost 8 months and it's crushing my soul. I had a doctor do the most professionally disrespectful thing that's ever been done to me in a work situation, and I say this as someone who's been yelled at in front of a whole group of doctors and nurses (the surgeon wasn't yelling at me, but at our department and I was the representative).

This doctor literally invaded my personal space (it wasn't an emergency which would have made it understandable) and then proceed to do my job. I asked him if he wanted me to make a change that I thought he'd want after he'd done a procedure, he said "let's give her a minute" and then immediately reached over me in a very tight space to make the exact change I'd just suggested. It continued on from there for several minutes where I couldn't even move out of the way, but it was mostly more of the same.
    But I guess I learned something, I'll stand up to the meanest doctor if I think it's best for the patient, but I won't stand up for myself. *sigh*

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I hope you feel better jc.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that "I know it all" sort of environment Mav. If it is crushing your soul, I say try to get another job. Life is too short to deal with that sort of environment.

I spent the day sitting in meetings with my uncle and another relative (the one who lives down south and who I had to drive around town a couple months ago). I was asked because of my background in economics and political science (ANNND because I have the most education on the subject, which was sad because I really don't have that much, but being the most intelligent person in the family sucks) and it was so very boring and I am so glad I decided not to take that path with my life.

I'm sorry. Now I sound like a know-it-all. I don't. I contributed nothing but the occasional sarcastic remark.

I did get lunch out of it though, but I am so tired but now I have to sit down and try to write this paper on the economic development of Nepal and I just want to do something stupid.

jcgoble3 and mavjade like this.
  20. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    *sighs* the joys of stomach bugs. i feel you jcgoble3, hope you're feeling better soon.

mavjade yea, if it's that bad, i'm with briannakin, i'd seriously be trying to find a new job. but at least you've learned something about yourself, that if you don't like you can work on changing, you know? that's something at least.

Kahara, jcgoble3 and mavjade like this.
  21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Good evening, all. I know this is not the best place to ask this (please let me know where would be better), but I'm wondering if there has been a drabble challenge in the last few years. I think the last one I participated in was back in 2008 or 2009. Has such an idea been floated of late?

A Blind Prophet likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Hey, y'all...how about my bug? It's not just him. Granted, I don't have a full-time job, BUT I COULD USE SOME TLC NOW. AND GRILL. AND SAVOURY PASTRY. AND LIVING WITH GOOD SENSE HAS NEVER BEEN MY STRONG SUIT.

*runs out in the early morning fog to get POGAČICE* Because YOLO.

Kahara and Winama Shiraya like this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    There was one back in 2013, but it is coming back! We are hoping pretty soon.

Anyways, I'm currently trying to work on this paper while fighting off a headache and it isn't going too well. It is 10pm, so I think I'm just going to drug myself up, get some rest, and hopefully do better in the morning.

Kahara and A Blind Prophet like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

From Fanfic press Conference:

Kahara likes this.
  25. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, Briannakin and Ewok Poet! [face_dancing] This is good news. I'm am eager to jump back in. The Ultimate Drabble Challenge is my wheelhouse! I'd be happy to submit theme words or phrases if you decide to call for them.

Kahara and A Blind Prophet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.