main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    We only had 2 inches of snow where I lived.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My great-grandmother started having kids at 16 and didn't stop till she couldn't. There is little to do where my mother's family comes from besides fish and have children, because my grandmother started at 16 too (though I'm not supposed to know that - I have a half-uncle that died as an infant before my grandparents met - though they started before they were married when my grandmother was 19).

Anyways. My favourite online shop is having one of their clearance events. It's where I got my awesome purple blazer. This time around I got a $170 dark grey blazer for $35.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    90, wow, and to be surrounded by so many of her grandkids & great-grandkids! Must have really made her day.

We didn't get much where I am, either. But I was lazy yesterday & didn't brush off the car. Snow turned to solid ice and trying to scrape off the windshield this a.m. made me late for work. Mea culpa.

New clothes good. New clothes on sale better! You'll have something swanky to wear for your graduation! [face_party]

If DarthRL is flying in all directions, at least the plotbunnies are under control! I finally finished the rest of my Celtic Challenge story, and with one or two tweaks it will be ready to post. And I FINALLY got to start the bunny I've wanted to do since SEPTEMBER, a sequel to [another story], so it will be good to get that out of my brain and on to paper. Of course, more immediately, I have to figure out nominations for the Golden Yodas Palpys Yodas (Leias?)! So many categories! So many deserving authors!!!!! AAAAAAACCCCKKKK!!!! [face_hypnotized] How is the bunny wrangling going for everyone else?

Mav Edit: Edited out story title. You can talk in generalities, but not specifics about stories in the social thread.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Gamiel art dump time!

Artist's concept of possible colonies on future mars missions. Don't know the artist/s, from https://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/multimedia/images/2005/futureexploration.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Artist’s concept of a habitat for a Mars colony. Don't know the artist/s, from http://www.universetoday.com/111462/how-can-we-live-on-mars/

[​IMG]

Artist’s concept of a habitat for a Mars colony. Don't know the artist/s, from http://www.mondolithic.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rick Guidice's rendition for the Lunar Colony interior.

[​IMG]

Ewok Poet, Lady_Misty, yahiko and 2 others like this.
  5. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Intersting art Gamiel
    Although I guess the interior is a little bit to luxurious for early colonialisation.

BTW a question came up today and maybe you know the answer.
    Did Lusa already appeared before YJK? Or was she created for that book series?

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Anedon - According to Wookipedia, her first appearance is in The Crystal Star, but then mostly appears in the YJK with a mention in NJO.

Oh nice, Bri! I love it when that happens. I told my friend who used to be a costumer for TV/Movies about my need to find a dress for the Gala at Celebration and she's already found me a bunch of dresses. One of them was $350 and now is only $125. That's more than I wanted to spend but it's soooo pretty. The only problem is because it's so discounted, I can't return it if it doesn't fit. :(

Those are cool, Gamiel!

Anedon likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or maybe they decided that you needed that luxury to be able to stand the rest of the environment.
    Yes she appeared before* and no she was not created for that book series :p

And while we are talking about Lusa, my favorit fanart of her:
    [​IMG]
    from http://roguedragon.deviantart.com/

* in the Crystal Star book

Ewok Poet, mavjade and Anedon like this.
  8. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks mavjade, Gamiel
    Nice fan art sadly she never grew up to the adult centaur Jedi knight on the right. :(

Gamiel likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's why we have fanon ;)

Ewok Poet and Anedon like this.
  10. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    And write fanfiction. :)

Ewok Poet and Lady_Misty like this.
  11. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    To fix what went wrong!!! [face_laugh]

Ewok Poet, mavjade and Gamiel like this.
  12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Discount clothes! Always good. Just last week, I was shopping around for new casual pants. Found two pairs I really liked at a Kroger Marketplace near me (not the one I work at, which isn't a Marketplace). Price tag on them said $34.00 each, but they were on sale for $19.99 each. While in the fitting room trying them on, I saw a sign on the door advertising their Mystery Deal: load a digital coupon onto your Kroger Plus card, and it would randomly give you 15%, 20%, or 30% off of all apparel purchases. So I loaded it, and got the highest discount of 30%, reducing them to $13.99 each. And then, because I'm a Kroger employee and the pants were a Kroger store brand, I get a 20% employee discount off of that, bringing the final price for each pair to $11.19 each. Even once sales tax was added, I paid less than $24 for two pairs of pants that were originally $34 each.

13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Sheesh. Now that ^^^ is a complicated way to figure out the final price... Back in the day we used to achieve the same thing with plain old haggling :p

At the venerable age of 98, my grandmother has a grand total of one child and one grandchild, period. She's completely gaga about my nephews and nieces though, so I don't feel too guilty about not providing the great-grandchildren.

And now, from the Department of Advanced Science... the man on the right in the pic below is the spokesman for the second largest political party in Greece. And he's speaking "with his hand on his heart". And he is a medical doctor. *pulls hair out*
    [​IMG]

Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    If he thinks that his heart is on that side of his chest... it's at least problematic :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    [face_laugh] Oh man, I hope that's a reversed image because that's embarrassing! It would be even worse if he were a cardiac surgeon! :p

jcgoble3 - I had no idea that Kroger had a clothes line, there weren't any in my hometown area (in the 4 Krogers in a 30 minute radius). I miss Krogers, they always have some sort of good deal going on. That was quite some masterful discounting on your part! That's awesome!

Ewok Poet, jcgoble3 and Chyntuck like this.
  17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    It's definitely not a reversed image, I saw it live on TV last night. He's a professional-basketball-player-cum-politician who studied medicine on the side. Funnily enough, he obtained a PhD from Athens University shortly after becoming friends with our former prime minister.

I guess the lucky thing in there is that he isn't a cardiac surgeon.

Ewok Poet and mavjade like this.
  18. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Maybe he has dextrocardia. [face_thinking]

19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Chyntuck, that photo reminds me a bit of Dorothy Sayers's story "The Image in the Mirror," which centers around two men who are mirror-image twins, one of whom (the one who goes to Lord Peter Wimsey for help) actually has his heart on the right side (though I have no idea whether that actually happens with that kind of twin in RL). So maybe the fellow in your photo is himself a mirror-image twin, and, like the guy in the Sayers story, has a near-identical double running around out there committing crimes! :p

EDIT: Ninja'd slightly by Jedi_Lover. Yes, it does look like reversed organ placement is a thing.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    dextrocardia is actually a plot-point in the movie Ninja Assassin

21. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    My heart is in the right place (/rimshot) but my stomach is reversed. Causes x-ray technicians no end of confusion. I also don't have a spleen :p

22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Wasn't dextrocardia a plot point in an episode of House? Or was it Mean Girls. Arg. This is bugging me now. I'm remembering a TV show or a movie where some high school kid gets stabbed by a fork in the "heart" but survives because his heart was on the wrong side (or maybe all his organs were reversed?).

Anyways - funny picture!

I'm slightly going crazy here. I have 2 VERY short papers left to do. They are only 750 words each and but one is due next week. And I just want to do anything but it.

So I'm shopping for new luggage for some upcoming trips that I'm hopefully going on (I'm going on one for sure, but I'm still waiting on stupid brothers to get their passports before booking stuff for the other trip). I normally travel with a huge duffle bag, but I'm kinda wondering if I should get a huge travel backpack like I bought my brothers.

23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    It was on House one time, though I don't remember any specifics about the episode.

Back when I was in high school and thought I wanted to go to medical school (something I thought all the way through my junior year of college after suffering through Organic Chem) I shadowed a bunch of doctors in our local hospital. I got to see an autopsy, follow a through the ICUs, and got to hang out in the ER for a day. Well that ER day, I was actually shadowing a Physician's Assistant for part of the day and he was about to be an OR PA. So we got a patient that had appendicitis, the surgeon knew he was about to work with invited him to scrub in and invited me to watch. They were going to remove the appendix laparoscopically until they couldn't find it. It was on the other side and slightly malpositioned at that. It was so cool to watch as a high school student. Heck, who am I kidding, I'd think it was cool now. Anytime I have a patient with something unusual I get excited to learn about it.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  24. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Maybe he's a Time Lord and that's his other heart.

25. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    OMG...I am rooting deep in the bowels of the FF board, and finding things that I have ABSOLUTELY NO MEMORY of writing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.