main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    The name of the brand is Great Northwest Clothing Company. It is technically a Fred Meyer store brand, but Fred Meyer is owned by Kroger, so it counts as a Kroger brand for my employee discount (which only applies to Kroger brands).

(EDIT: Also, you won't find clothes at regular Kroger stores, beyond maybe some local sports team apparel. Only Kroger Marketplace stores will have an actual clothing department.)

Try not to compare the quality of that writing to your more recent writing. :p (Unless you want to feel really good about how you write now, in which case compare 'til you drop. ;))

Ewok Poet, Darth_Elu and mavjade like this.
  2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I have some stuff I wish I could purge both from my memory and the internet.

Darth_Elu likes this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Put me in a situation where I have no input or control, but can only listen, chances are that I am going to lose consciousness.

This can make work-related meetings and briefings rather more fraught affairs than they need to be, and it is a very real fear of mine that being selected for jury service will see me getting served with a contempt of court violation, through no conscious fault of my own.

One evening, many years ago, I opened some post, and an innocent brown envelope was in fact the summons calling me for jury duty. Traumatised me so much that it created a lifelong difficulty dealing with official documents (my own, I'm fine with other people's) and processes (eg. I won't seek promotion at work, because we have to apply and do interviews for each new position), and opening my post in a timely fashion. * And reading Fanfic Awards rules.

Couple days ago, I discovered an envelope that should have gone to the house five doors down my street, and realised that I am an unfortunate destination for mis-directed post, as I am not going to notice for ages.

I have today steeled myself to deal with a tiny handful of the massed piles of this year's post, and discovered that it is all mis-addressed - home insurance, promotional for a store called John Lewis, random promotional envelope with Thank You written on it, a water utility bill, two random white envelopes - so, on the good side, none of it is for me; on the bad side, no idea how long I have had any of this ****.

I thought I would be posting one envelope through their door, but nope, six.

Edit: *

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, dear...I hope your neighbors didn't get their water cut off! They really will need to follow up to make sure the important people have the address straight!

And Chyntuck and Mr. Chyntuck are awesome! It just needs to be said. [:D]

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am learning about congenital heart defects this semester. I never heard about this condition until two weeks ago. See, you learn something new every day. Now I just have to memorize everything for my exam next week.

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have done this exact thing before. Someone commented on a story of mine on FF.N a few weeks ago and I didn't recognise the title. And then looking through things I realized how much more productive my muse used to be.

Jedi_Lover - And you will still come across some you've never heard of later, which happened to me the other day. It's kinda cool to be surprised about things like that, though. Good luck on your exam!

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Even better when you recognise your own style of writing. I was researching archived roleplay games before Christmas, and was flashing down through posts of text, then stopped in shock, thinking, Hang on, this is me! Scrolled back up to the avatar, and it wasn't me, it was just that blank head and shoulders default.
    Scrolled back up to the intro post, and what I found was that it was a challenge game, with all the writers having to create game socks, and the writer who guessed everyone's real identity from their style of writing, wins.

Had no idea I had a second sock to my name.

8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    If my sock were to participate in something like that, it would be pretty much cheating, because my sock's name makes it pretty obvious that it's me.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonight's sudden and depressing random thought: If one of the toys in the Toy Story series died, the kids would never know, and the rest of the toys would have to watch in horror as the kids played with the corpse of their dead friend.

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    But how would they die? I mean, Sid did some pretty kriffed up things with his toys and they all were still alive. I mean, are toys all immortal unless they are melted down?

I never liked Toy Story for this reason (yeah, I was a kriffed up kid - I remember being five and having thoughts about the endless expanse of the universe keep me up).

Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    They're immortal. And they remember.

They're watching you Briannakin. Always. [face_skull]

12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    So I started physical therapy. The result has been, despite it being some stretches and ten minutes on an exercise bike, that I pretty much slept for 36 hours. That was unexpected.

I'm feeling lonely in my 'ship. Tumblr is full of like-minded people but I haven't seen a single other fic for this pairing other than mine in three months. Sigh.

Ewok Poet and Darth_Elu like this.
  13. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    I probably missed it. What ship are you supporting so bravely alone?

Good that the therapy seemed to help. Though 36 hours is…wow! I've slept exactly 24 hours once and was disoriented as all heck when I awoke.

14. Winama Shiraya

Winama Shiraya Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 3, 2017
    That image of the politician who can't remember where his heart is located...maybe it has something to do with the Mandela Effect (it's a "theory" that some people believe in that has something to do with alternate universes where certain people died earlier than in our universe, and body parts/continents aren't in the right places). :p

I'm slowly updating my wardrobe since I'll probably be working more in the next few months. I got myself a fall/winter coat to replace my decade old wool coat for under $20. It's not wool, but a cotton/poly fleece blend, so I still might have to buy another, heavier coat for next winter (because we did actually start getting winter here on the East Coast last week with the snow and ice).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Jyn/Cassian. Pretty much everything is AU, but we're fanfic writers. Everything we do is technically AU anyway, right?

Darth_Elu likes this.
  16. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Not sure what is wrong with J/C myself…[face_thinking]

Keep at it Dantana Skywalker!

And yes, in a sense, all we do is AU. :p

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Though I have not followed them up, my Youtube fare in the last week, has mentioned this 'Mandela Effect' on vid titles on the same screen.

Coincidence that you mention it...

18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    If they had survived Rogue One, I could see that relationship evolving; could make sense. So, if you're going AU, why not?

19. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I just haven't seen any other people here writing it. :/ I've got tons myself. Ha.

Darth_Elu likes this.
  20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That is so disturbing. lol!

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  22. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    There's an odd fanfic in the making. :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Holy crap, this con is going to be awesome...

[​IMG]

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  24. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Blah. I got my econ midterm back today. It's the one I didn't exactly study for. So, yeah, it's my own damn fault I did so badly (I still passed... barely). Thankfully (and oddly) it is only worth 20% towards our final mark. But I'm oddly okay with doing so badly. I'm not sure if I'm comforted by the fact that my GPA is so high I can literally get the lowest possible passing grade in all my classes and my conditions will still be met for my Master's. OR I've just stopped caring about everything school-related.

But I still need some chocolate to comfort me :(

25. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Tim Zahn usually shows at Awesome-Con. I'm going to get him to autograph my new Thrawn novel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.