main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

Ouch... I certainly know the feeling. Hope you like your new laptop, though. And congrats on the first tourny win!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm going to be buying a new laptop in July if I hit my writing goals. Hopefully, it'll turn out well.

AzureAngel2, Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    DarthIshtar - My roommate can read Greek fluently due to similar classes (that were unfortunately cut by the time I got to university) so she has a New Testament in the original Greek which is really cool. I'm not bilingual myself anymore, but as a kid I was pretty fluent (for like an 8-year-old mind you - so that type of vocabulary) in ASL and French. I've lost like all of it. But interesting enough, my wrists were so bad by the end of my exam today, I actually requested a scribe for my last two essay questions (which were REALLY BAD, but I wanted to get something written), but the scribe was having a hard time understanding my speech, so I was actually able to resort to my limited memory of ASL (mostly fingerspelling since that was all the scribe knew as well). I should really try to pick it back up again.

Woohoo on being productive jcgoble3 and congrats on the new laptop. New things are always nice!

I'm looking into a new laptop for myself (I'm getting some cash as a grad gift, plus I'm getting some tax money back - and starting grad school is a pretty good excuse for a new computer). Unfortunately, the specs I have on my current Macbook pro would cost me a lot more on a new Macbook pro, so I'm not sure if it's worth it, or if I REALLY need what I have. I'm a failure when it comes to the techy stuff.

AzureAngel2, Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I've always had issues with handwriting things and had permission to do my school exams either with a computer or extended times. My teachers realized quickly that I could quintuple my speed by typing and allowed it.

I'm in desperate need of good rest, but I'm not feeling well. I'll just have to get caffeine on my way to SLC tomorrow afternoon.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Mr. Chyntuck! Hello! (I had to go back two pages... goodness...)

Ish!!!!! [:D]

Not sure what to say about the sleeping bag vs quilt thing, except that I do better with my own blankets on top and the sleeping bag as a nice cushion.

6. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    That makes absolutely no kriffing sense. *shakes head*

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Hi, DaenaBenjen42! I was just complaining this week that I need to get back into fanfic more than once a week so here I am. And yeah, Cowgirl Jedi 1701, it taxes credulity.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. Mr Chyntuckopoulos

Mr Chyntuckopoulos Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2017
    Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone! I am still getting used to the idea of participating here instead of simply reading, but I will post more often eventually.

DarthIshtar Chyntuck says the same thing as you about having a professional edit her books. I get the first read, but she doesn't change anything in the text until her publisher has had a look at it, and that woman is absolutely merciless. This is in a good way of course, because the second draft is always infinitely better than the first one.

Briannakin Congratulations and welcome to the world of the free!

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  9. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Warm welcomes are what we do here. And you could start by leaving some reviews, as an extension of the reading you already do. Even if all you say is "I like this story.", a post is a post, and soon you will be as engaged in the chatter as the rest of us. :)

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001

My best moment of getting my first book published was when the person who had ripped apart the third draft told me that the finished book was phenomenal. I prefer that to Amazon reviews.

11. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Welcome to the boards, Mr. Chyntuck!

Had to go to the mall today because my grandma (who's feeling much better) had a hair appointment. Sadly, said hair appointment coincided with practically every FFA member in the state dropping by during a break in their convention to shop and eat. 8-}

12. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Hey guys :)
    How are you doing? I had a very exsausting werk in university and now I'm glad to have finally weekend.
    I've also continued watching the West Wing this week. I wonder how much better the world could be if Jed Bartlet would be US president in real life.

P.S. Welcome Mr Chyntuckopoulos

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I have season tickets to the symphony and we often have to deal with nba fans, doterra employees, comic cons, religious events, etc. when we ride the train into the city. My favorite was when we went to my favorite restaurant with friends and there was a game, a convention and the Mormon tabernacle choir Christmas concert so they actually had performers in the symphony who got there late. They made allowances. But this was a trip of 13 blocks.

AzureAngel2, Lady_Misty and whiskers like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    So, I just heard that somebody I knew, a woman who once back in the days welcomed me to the overall community of my favourite musician's fans and eventually let me take over a LiveJournal group that used to be back then, died while giving birth to her third child. :( I...didn't know that this happens in 2017. And what a tragedy, when the wee one grows up, he will know that his birthday is also the anniversary of his mom's death.

AzureAngel2, Lady_Misty and Gamiel like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sympathy like

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. whiskers

May 19, 2005

Holy crap, that's horrible. I feel for her family.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Even in this day and age there are things that can happen during childbirth that can kill a woman. Hemorrhaging, preeclampsia, amniotic fluid getting into the bloodstream and a couple others. I actually know a woman that had something go wrong with the placenta, I think it detached early, and she and her baby nearly died. I know it hit her husband hard when he realized just how close he had come from losing his wife and unborn child and leaving their three older children without a mother. It made him grateful to live in the 21st Century where we have the medical miracles of blood transfusions, c-sections and cars.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Ewok Poet OMG. I just can't... how does a family come back from something like that.

Cowboy Jedi 1701 I actually have some tiny part of me agreeing with the idea that interracial couples are good for the human race evolution-wise. I've met many. I'm agnostic on whether it is God's plan or whatever, but of course don't take this to mean there is any sense or truth in the idea that white guys don't like white girls. That is manifestly untrue, and what constitutes "white" is a vast array of different peoples anyway.

@Mr Chyntuckopoulos Hello and nice to meet you. I think a merciless editor is the best thing a writer needs, if they are serious about it.

Anedon S'up? I had a tough week too. I don't like to get political in places like this, but watching world events as they unfold now, I can't help crying a little inside as I wonder what if HRC had won in the US...

19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm all for diversity, but the way the person in question expressed their views on diversity sounded discriminatory, which is something that I am not cool with.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I've dated people of different race, nationality, and even language. I have no problem with the idea of it happening. But I don't believe God is keeping me from getting married because I'm a white girl.

AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm the product of an interracial marriage (I'm pretty much from a long line of interracial marriage, so I am the future - I am a mutt) but that logic makes no sense. Race should not factor into a person's marriageability. Forcing a future race has been attempted before by some really bad people.

ANYWAYS.

Sadly, yes, women dying in childbirth still happens, even in industrialized countries (it nearly happened with my mother with me). It's rare in industrialized areas, but no matter where, it is truly a tragedy.

ANYWAYS.

I've decided that I'm going to go with the quilts over the sleeping bag, but tomorrow, I'm going to sew a bag so I can stuff all my bedding into a packed-sleeping-bag shaped package easily transport it.

AzureAngel2, Lady_Misty and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Yay for you. I love rainbows, and I have the really big box of crayons, but when it comes to people, I like to think that I am completely colorblind.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I believe we need to get off this topic now. There is no need to get snippy at people.

AzureAngel2 and Sith-I-5 like this.
  24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm up early on a Saturday because a friend's father-in-law's viewing is at 9 and she wants to rehearse her solo with me (the accompanist) before the viewing. I'm glad to help, even if I met the man only at her wedding and son's birthday party.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Yup. We are there for the friends and those left behind, even if we didn't know those lost. :)

Me, I am tackling a mountain of chores after recuperating from Celebration (I haven't even unpacked the suitcase). First on the list: buy kitty litter. Second on the list: deal with incredibly stinky litter box. [face_sick] Everything after that will be a cinch... How one small animal can make such an unholy smell...

AzureAngel2 and Raissa Baiard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.