main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Thanks, EP!

Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Woo-hoo! Congrats Jen! =D=

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    After all the misery of 6 years in the Never-ever Lands as a German I will never teach Secondary-school level again, DarthIshtar. (Just the so-called "Black Schools", and I worked at 3 back then, welcomed me despite my German accent in my Dutch.) And certainly not as a substitute teacher.

Both Steve Sansweet & Matt(thew) Wood encouraged me to return to my kindergarten roots during the Jedi Con 2010. A plan that did not become reality until the summer of 2013. I had to quit my first job after half a year because I did not get used to the pedagogical concept there.

The last kindergarten teaching job that I had was for a period of 3 years and 1 months. The things that certain chairpersons pulled with me and a team of 6 excellent women for a period of 18 months were very bad though. Dangerous mind games, from which I still have to recover, but the healing process might take ages.

What makes me happy though: I fought back in ways those men never suspected and dethroned them even with massive face loss among the other parents. (Still get what´s apps from my ex-colleagues and several parents.)

I still try get used to my new job that I have started on the 1th April.

Without writing fanfic I would go nuts these days...

My husband DarthUncle & Kahara are very supportive.

4. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    This is a late announcement but I have a niece; the first one in almost twenty-three years! Yes, I have had two step nieces but to have one born into the family is wonderful. Of course it could be 'the curse'; my dad had seven girls and three boys and his mother had seven/eight boys and one girl.

My dress came today and it fits; I'll share a pair of pics later.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats JediMaster_Jen and Lady_Misty !

I was kinda bad today. I had to run out and get a few things I needed, and ended up buying some things I didn't, including a dress and a self-inflating camp-mat. We have to spend a night in a church in order to catch the ferries the next morning, and I thought about bringing my tiny cot air matress, but even though it is really thin, it's a pain to blow up. So I bought a self-inflating camp-mat that folds down really small. Probably didn't need it considering I'm only using it for one night and I can sleep on floors half-decently, but it will save my back.

AzureAngel2 and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I had 6 nephews and a step nephew before I got a single niece. Awesome!

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Congratulations! Nieces and nephews are great. You can spend time with them and then send them home. lol! I once spent a month with my nephew driving around Europe. He wanted to spend the entire summer break with me, but I told my brother I probably could only handle one month with his son (I didn't have kids back then).

Our family has a lot of boys also. All my brothers and sisters had a first born boy. To date I have four nephews and three nieces and 6 grand nephews and two grand nieces. My oldest Grand nephew is in college and he may make my sister a great grandmother in the next few years. I am going to tease her unmercifully when that happens. :p

I am supposed to be studying for my finals, but I have a headache and rather procrastinate here. :(

AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Congratulations JediMaster_Jen! I'm sure you'll be wonderful!
    How is your son doing?

Aww... congrats on the niece Lady_Misty! It's always nice when there's been a streak of one and the other comes along!

I have three nephews and one niece. My youngest nephew is the baby and he just turned 18, my oldest nephew is about to give me a grand-niece or nephew. My dad also is still clamoring for more granddaughters from me (and yes, he says granddaughters, not grand-children :p ) meaning that once I do have kids, my parents will have a great-grandchild that is older than a grandchild.
    My family is weird.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    In my family, there are 7 female cousins and 11 male cousins, however there was a streak of like 7 boys after me before anyone had another girl.

I don't think your family is weird Mav. My grandparents were still getting grand-children when the great-grandchildren started (there are 4 of them right around the same age). And my mother (she's the second youngest of her siblings) has uncles younger than her.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Congrats Misty! What Jedi_Lover said: the wonderful thing about nephews and nieces is that you can return them to their rightful owner when the going gets tough ;)

Mav, your family is not weird at all. My dad was born in 1920, my maternal grandmother in 1919, and he called her "mamá", like people do here for their mother-in-law. (She didn't like it so much.)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Thanks, I sure hope so. :) He's doing very well. Thanks so much for asking. Thanks for the congrats everyone. :)

AzureAngel2 and mavjade like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Only child here, daughter of an only child and great-niece of people with no children, closest family a person in F20's who doesn't recognise us and some really snobbish folks. On the other side, father dead, first cousin dead, his sons embarrassing dudebros, but hey, I have a mother and an aunt and I'm grateful. :)

13. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    OK! Catch up time!

Congrats JediMaster_Jen and Lady_Misty !

AzureAngel2 I have a great deal of respect for teachers - and kindergarten looks even tougher to me. I'm done with it for now. But it still knocks me flat when ex-students e-mail me. It is rewarding like no other job when you feel you have made a difference to people's lives.

Ewok Poet and that's all you need! We're you're family too. ;)

Lady_Misty and AzureAngel2 like this.
  14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I had four fanfic writers who wrote me more letters than my blood relatives when I was a missionary. Stick with your extended fandom fam.

AzureAngel2 and whiskers like this.
  15. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    My family is pretty girl heavy as well. My great grandmother had three girls and one boy. Girl A had three daughters, Girl B had two sons and a daughter, and the youngest had a single daughter. Of those two sons, one had three daughters and the other a boy and a girl.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I saw Ghost in the Shell (2017) yesterday, I liked it. The visuals was greater than the story (but then again I could say the same for the ’95 movie and this time I could actually follow the story, unlike the ’95 movie). If you like cyberpunk or nice future settings I recommend it.

Kurisan, AzureAngel2 and whiskers like this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I kinda know both extremes when it comes to family - my mom is one of five and each of those five had between 3 and 5 kids, and 5-7 of us were raised together for a few years. Plus my grandparents on that side were either one of like 12 or 13 children, and they are close to a good many their siblings, so I have like WAAAAAY too many great-aunts and uncles who all know what I'm doing (or not doing :p) with my life.

However, on my father's side, it was just him and his sister. He's gone, along with my grandfather (who was never that close to his siblings) so it is just my aunt, her husband (who I met once), and they never had kids, and my crusty grandmother.

So I say family is who you love, not who you are related to. I saw my roommate's grandmother more in high school (and even now) than I ever have of my father's mother. My father's parents didn't come to my high school grad, so I ended up giving their two tickets to my roommate's brother (we graduated the same year), so roommate's grandmother and he late husband (and the rest of that crazy family) ended up screaming my name and taking more pictures of me than my own family.

18. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Gamiel I bet it's rather good, but something also tells me I won't like it so much. Just because the original is such a beautiful piece of art; that haunting music with the voices, overlayed on the cityscapes, all hand-drawn. There is also a lot of Japanese culture in the original that I bet is lost in the remake. That bit when the guy who is puppet-minded runs out and misses the garbage truck, the exact sound the truck makes, just reminds me of modern Japan so much. Did they at least keep all the visual themes that the Matrix copied so slavishly?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  19. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Lady_Misty likes this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Loving people is a huge problem. It's risky. They might turn out not to be worth it at all and...what to do then? Nope, nope, nope.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002

It's the best risk you can take in life. Sometimes they turn out to be worth it and so much more than you can imagine.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I love people. They're just usually fictional. Today, my legs hate me for trying to get healthier. But last nights run was invigorating while it lasted.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'll take those first two sentences, thank you. :p

24. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Only if you are very, very, very lucky. :\

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Different kinds of people have different issues forming those connections, and the need for them may vary. I love having friends, but when somebody is all about small talk, saying only negative things ("C'mon, you think you look good! I know this girl and she has the best facial skin ever, she's perfect!" - random example from a "friend") and generally backing away if things are not fine; I just don't know what to think.

Sure, sometimes I just can't help myself and therefore have a hard time helping others, but when those who are okay just turn around because you're "too much", that's another red flag for me.

And JediMaster_Jen - I do appreciate your response, nevertheless. Kurisan's, too. But wow, do I get an embarrassing set of cousins, ALL NERDS, ALL GEEKS. Hurr-hurr. [face_dunno]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.