main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Happy Board-iversary, Kurisan

Also, life pro-tip, never book a dentist appointment after an eye doctor appointment - especially if you know they have to dilate your eyes. AH! ALL THE BRIGHT LIGHTS!!!

2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Rebel pilot is on my to do list, too! Are you doing OT or ST? I want to do OT; had one years ago for CIII but it got lost in a move, somewhere. I like your icon, too. A Drall with a lightsaber? ;):greensaber:

Lady_Misty, the dress is great! And I agree, if you both have fun SF interests, why not have them at the wedding?

Oh, no on the dental appointment, Briannakin! It's funny and not funny at the same time! Next time, just close your eyes and tell them that you will never reveal the location of the Rebel Base. Which will lead your dentist to worry that you're having some sort of adverse reaction to the anesthetic. :p

Deep breath, AzureAngel2. It's not fair to be blamed wrongly; I hope it was straightened out and that people realize the truth.

Thanks for the suggestions, all! I do have a crockpot; I guess it's time to pull it out and get creative. I have a whole cookbook full of low-cal recipes for it, which I haven't looked at in a long time. I like the hummus idea, too. I never think to do that, and it's a good one for the hot summer days coming up.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Bahahaha! There was no anaesthetic involved (and I was smart and brought my sunglasses) but that is pretty much what it felt like!

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    AzureAngel2 - That sounds like mobbing to me. Are the children in danger if you don't close the window? I would expect there to be bars on the window if things are dangerous? I hope that it's OK for me to suggest this, but you seem to be under huge stress, do you have health insurance? At this point, when feeling so overwhelmed (your posts make me worried these days), I would go and talk to somebody. It does not mean that you gave up, it means that you want to go on!

Lady_Misty - I always think that I have a slightly bigger head too, but remember, these things are more, well, in our heads than they're real. :D

Raissa Baiard - Your mom is the kind of a DJ I'd want at any given party! :eek:

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Lady_Misty, great dress. I found a great Eowyn dress for a friend for her wedding and she got an insert to make it appropriate for her temple wedding. Then she forgot her insert a thousand miles away. Luckily, she was able to borrow basically a leotard to cover what needed to be covered. This was also the wedding where her bridesmaids got stuck in a blizzard and arrived seven minutes before the ceremony.

AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  6. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Thanks Ewok Poet but my head is bigger because of a genetic disorder I inherited.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Happy boardiversary Kurisan! [face_party]

I'm sorry you are having a rough time AzureAngel2! [:D] I hope you have a good time in the mountains and that things get better soon!

Lady_Misty - I love that you are going to wear Leia's dress at your reception! That's a great idea!

8. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Happy board-iversary Kurisan!!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Catching up on the last two pages of this thread instead of the last two posts [face_blush]
    *gulp* That's what I'm going back to on Tuesday.

But the good news is that 1) I'm spending my first month back to work in Paris, which is a pleasant bonus, 2) Mr Chyn managed to get several free weekends in May, so he'll be joining me, and 3) we'll even be spending a long weekend on the ocean at the end of the month. It shouldn't be too bad [face_dancing]
    [face_relieved] No more crazies in politics, please. We've had enough of that to last us a lifetime.

Lady_Misty That dress is great! I wanted to have a SW wedding too, but in the place where we got married it wouldn't have been entirely appropriate. (The place was great though, so it compensated for the lack of SW.) You'll have such a great time!

Mistress_Renata If you like lentils, beans and such, it's a great thing to cook in advance and freeze for a brown bag lunch. All you need to do is to chop up some onion, herbs etc in the morning, and you can make yourself a lentil salad when it's time to eat. Another option is vegetable stews like ratatouille, they freeze very well.

AzureAngel2 Have a nice time in the mountains! I hope your little vacation makes up for the crummy time at work.

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    AzureAngel2 - hope everything settles down for you, and have a nice time in the mountains.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Lucky. I'm going to be in Paris for two days. It was supposed to be more, but then we decided to go to Switzerland before leaving for home. I can't believe it's in 45 days!

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    So much for my job at Kroger. Local schools are trying to push a tax levy to completely replace the high school and middle school that they claim have to be replaced, and they're using misleading claims to drum up support. I, and many other people, see through those claims and say that they should just fix up the existing buildings instead. They've already tried this levy last November, and it failed in the highest turnout election in a long time. Now they're trying to sneak it through in a special election that will have a much lower turnout. That election is next Tuesday, but I've already cast an absentee ballot against the levy (because I didn't know what my work schedule would be like on election day).

Today, my supervisors at Kroger placed stacks of literature pushing support for the levy at each register and told us baggers that we were expected to put one in every customer's bags. I refused, so they called me back to the managers' office for a discussion. I plainly told them that I would not distribute election literature that I did not agree with. Supervisor started to tell me about how Kroger supports it and stuff and I responded that I am not Kroger and I have my own political views that I will not compromise. Supervisor told me that a tax levy is not political. Bull****. Everything on the ballot is political. I quit my job on the spot and walked out.

So I'm going to take a week or so off to myself and then update my resume and start a new job hunt. I was planning to start searching for a better job next month anyway, so the timing works out well.

13. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for the tags, but there was really no need for it!

I´ll travel to the mountains in the morning, completely on my own!

But no worries!

Somebody else had forgotten the important detail of the security bolt yesterday and told me about it. (We are on the 1st floor of the building, dear Ewok and there are no bars at all.) But the shock still lingers on.

Anyway, when I am back from the mountains, I might be just on-line sporadically. Much to do

Again, thanks for the tags! That was very kind. But I really think that I do not belong here and I am sorry that I posted in here before.

14. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    jcgoble3: Good luck with the job hunt! [face_good_luck]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm sorry you're being harassed to toe a company line that you can't support. Good luck with that.

AzureAngel2, Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Thank you both for the support. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Finals are over! Woot! I got a week off and then I am back at it again for the summer semester. I will get August off at least. :) I have been avoiding my cell phone today. People sign up for Friday work and then they decide they don't want to work and start calling around. I got two calls already that I didn't answer. I work Saturday and Sunday, I don't need to work Friday also. o_O

Good luck with your job hunt jcgoble3!

18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    If the weather is as nice where you are as it is here, I don't blame them for wanting to play hooky. But good for you, sticking to your guns.

Good for you! =D= If you were planning to make a break, better to do it now than later! And if the proposal got shot down in November, why are they dumb enough to think it will work again? Frankly, if I were a Kroger customer, I'd be blatantly turned off by the politicking and I'd be shopping someplace else, especially if I'd already voted no. Brush up the resume, enjoy a break, then dig in.

The schools in our area tried something similar last November, putting forth a big restaurant/dining tax, had the adorable kids handing out fliers at all the commuter rail stops. Reading the fine print, there was nothing there that said the taxes would ONLY be used for schools, and given the bloated layer of middle management in the multi-million dollar school admin building that opened a few years ago, as well as the ongoing replacement of school playing fields with fancy artificial turf and $$ digital scoreboards, most folks decided that there was plenty of fat that could be trimmed from the budget first.

Man, I want a job where I can spend a month in Paris!:yoda: (this is the closest I can find to "green with envy" :p)

A teacher you work with or the yoga teacher? It's hard to lose someone you like and to get used to someone new. I had a fitness trainer that I really liked, then he quit to go back to grad school. His replacement was nice, but wasn't as creative and didn't push me as hard.

I try to think of things like this for fodder for fiction. If you ever need to write an action scene for a story, you'll know how to make it sound real.

I'm sorry to hear you don't think you belong here; why would you think so? You make contributions, too! But if you need to take a break, by all means, do it and clear your head. (Says the woman who was away from the Boards for over 10 years). We'll keep a candle lit in the window, so you can find your way back someday. [:D]

But have you built the Wall yet? Wouldn't blame you one bit!

19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Speaking of playing field upgrades: this same school district also replaced the grass football field with artificial turf (though to be fair, that was done solely with donations, not taxpayer money), and is now in the process of installing a track around the field (for which I have no clue where the money is coming from, but I suspect the taxpayers are footing the bill) when the track around the practice field at the high school is in excellent shape. (Unlike most schools, the football stadium here is not on the high school campus on the northern edge of town, but rather sits behind an elementary school closer to downtown.)

And yeah, there's plenty of fat to be cut from the budget. We're already subject to some of the highest school property taxes in the state of Ohio, and they keep asking for more every few years. Voters pass a new levy, then in two or three years they claim they're broke again and need another additional levy passed, and yet we can see no improvements from the previous levy other than inflated salaries. And voters keep passing these levies because each time they claim they need more money, the school board claims that if the levy doesn't pass, they'll be forced to cut athletics, band, and other extracurriculars to make ends meet. So they basically threaten the voters into giving them more money any time they want.

And why do they think it will work this time if it didn't in November? Simple: everybody and their mother voted in November because it was also the presidential election. Highest voter turnout in a long time for our county. Tuesday's election is a special election, for which the ONLY thing on the ballot (at least inside the city limits) is the school levy. I voted early in both of these elections. Both times, I went to the early voting place on the same day relative to election day at roughly the same time of day. For the November election, I had to wait in line over an hour to vote. This week, I was literally the only voter present in the office. The idea here for the school board is to get all their supporters to vote yes, while letting the election fly under the radar of the opponents in hopes of reducing the no votes by way of reduced turnout. They've pulled this stunt before, and unfortunately, it usually works. I've talked to several people this week who had no clue there was an election next week until I brought the subject up.

Basically, my feelings about this levy can be summed up as follows: :mad::mad::mad:

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Today at work they tried to get me to do a double, so a 26 hour shift. Um... unless they are paying me double time, my answer was hells no. I honestly don't even think that's legal to allow. It's certainly dangerous. I told them at 16 hours I usually hit my limit so they asked if I'd stay until midnight. Considering that would mean I'd have to be back there in less than 7 hours, the answer was also no. I'm willing to work extra but it has to be reasonable. Especially because I'd never hit overtime so I'd just be making my normal pay.

Good for you jcgoble3! =D= It takes a lot of courage to stand up for your convictions like that! It's completely inappropriate for them to demand you do something political like that, and I have to wonder what corporate would think of it. Maybe you should call them and let them know it's happening, it's not like they can fire you!

AzureAngel2 - I'm sorry you feel like you don't belong. :( Everyone belongs in this thread and everyone who enjoys fanfic belongs in this community. We may all have different thoughts and ideas, and we may even bicker at times, but we're friends nonetheless. If you've had an issue here on the boards, you can always come to me or Bri and we're happy to help.

21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Instead of corporate, I sent an email to the union offices about it. I needed to contact them to obtain a withdrawal card to properly terminate my union membership anyway, so I killed two birds with one stone. Let the union deal with corporate. I doubt corporate would listen to a single bagger, but when the union complains, they'll definitely listen.

22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    jcgoble3 - While I'm not sure if you did the right thing and how much you financially depend on your job, I support your decision to leave the workplace. But why are you completely leaving the workers' union? Or are these two things connected? I'm a bit confused here.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    They are directly connected. Unions are specific to each workplace or to each trade, and which union you are covered by (or if you are covered by a union at all) depends on where you work and what job you are performing. My union (that I am now leaving) covers all Kroger stores in the Cincinnati/Dayton area. If I were to get a job at the local library, that would be a completely different union. Conversely, many workplaces in the U.S. don't have unions at all.

As for finances, it's a very minor blow. I am still receiving my monthly Social Security Disability checks, as I never earned enough money at Kroger to hit the monthly threshold to count against me. I maintain a very detailed budget, and most of that budget, including all of my debt payments and bills, are based on that disability check, with the Kroger paycheck only providing me with my general spending cash (aka "mad money", for impulse purchases and such) plus bonus payments on the credit card to pay it down faster. So the only financial impact here is that I'll have less money to spend on myself and I'll be paying down the credit card a little slower. Fortunately, even taking that into account, the credit card is within two months of being paid off completely, so that will eliminate that hassle, and hopefully by then I'll have another job.

AzureAngel2, Lady_Misty and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002

Good luck with the job hunt! Good for you for not compromising your beliefs. :)

AzureAngel2 and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Oh hell no. I did some 16 hour shifts when my coworker signed up for work during days she was supposed to be at a training class. So I did my shift and part of her shift. She is my backstabbing coworker...so that is never going to happen again. After 16 hours I am in a daze.

mavjade and AzureAngel2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.