main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Chyntuckopoulos

Mr Chyntuckopoulos Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2017
    Better late than never! I am currently managing to log in and actually read the 15 pages that I was behind on this thread.

Belated congratulations for your graduation Briannakin!

DarthBreezy I hope you will be feeling better soon, and your horses are very beautiful. How did you come to take up this project?

Anedon I am sorry to hear about your job troubles. I hope that it is all over by now. However, you should know that you should not be intimidated by this kind of bullying behaviour. I don't know the fine details of German labour law but it seems highly unlikely to me that your employer had a case against you at any moment of what you described. On the contrary, I believe that you would have been in a rather good place to call the labour inspection for his abusive attitude, in particular due to the fact that you do not have a proper contract. You ought to contact them nevertheless in order to know your rights in such a situation.

DarthIshtar Here is the absolute solution to sunburn: the fattest kind of Greek yoghurt. All you have to do is to spread a thick layer of yoghurt on the burnt area and wait until your skin absorbs it all. You might still be red afterwards but the pain will be gone. I had sunburn only once in my life and the yoghurt was magic.

Ewok Poet I hope things will look up for you soon.

Chyntuck has a friend who worked for many years in humanitarian aid and has the most incredible collection of T-shirts from awareness campaigns that UNICEF conducted in Africa. The slogan on the most astounding one is "use latrines" and it's, errr, illustrated.

Chyntuck's grandmother gave us a good laugh about Roger Moore at a very inappropriate moment. When she heard that he was dead her reaction was "but he was just a young man!"

We had a wonderful time with Chyntuck's grandmother during the last few days. She was very happy to see Paris and she steadfastly refused to use the wheelchair we had rented for her because, in her own words, "Parisian pavements are the definition of a pavement". This entailed many pauses in cafes as we went around but it also earned us the red carpet treatment everywhere. I took her to the airport today and am waiting for the phone call telling us that she arrived home.

mavjade , Anedon, AzureAngel2 and 5 others like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you, Mr Chyntuckopoulos. :)

Glad that grandma had a good time, even though she didn't want to use that wheelchair. Sounds like this was the time of her life, almost. And I hope she arrives home safely and remembers this for a long time to come. :)

And that latrines thing...ewww. Imagine appearing at a family lunch wearing that. :D

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    @mr
    I'd heard that yogurt helps. I'll see. Meanwhile, 19 days until I arrive in Paris. We'll be going to Notre Dame and the Musee d'orsay and lunch before getting a train to Germany.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Mr Chyntuckopoulos Thanks, but I technically don't graduate until Friday.

I'm glad Grandmother Chyn enjoyed herself!

Vanity Fare released some more stills from TLJ. They are amazing. Link and more comments in the spoiler tag, because possibly minor spoilers (even though it is officially released material, I like to be respectful of those who want to go in totally blind):
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/05/star-wars-the-last-jedi-cover-portfolio

I don't know what got me choked up more, Billie and Carrie or Mark and Carrie. They are all beautiful pics (plus possibly a glimpse at a more "high class" SW society? ALL THOSE COOL DRESSES!) but those two just got to me.

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

There's a picture of Mark and Carrie that is just SO... them - not 'Luke and Leia' (although they are in costume) but pure Mark and Carrie, 40 years of friendship and a deep abiding love, right there. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a few tears when I saw it.

Here is THE image - Tissues at the ready:

[​IMG]

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I totally agree, and I think the same can be said for the other pic I mentioned - the one with Carrie and her daughter.

As unfortunate is it is that we will not be getting episode 9 as planned. I love how respectful this fandom (both the fans and those who make the movies) is. People lost a dear friend and a mother, so above all, fans are remembering Carrie - the implications for the storyline are understood, but always come second.

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Apparently Mr Chyn was already here before me so I don't have much to say other than repeat what he already said :)

DarthIshtar If your plan is Notre-Dame + Orsay before you return to Gare du Nord, I have a good place for your lunch! Try the Hall 1900, 64 rue Rambuteau in the 3rd arrondissement. It's a Corsican place, the food is excellent and the wine is even better 8-} The nearest metro station is the big Châtelet - Les Halles hub; with RER B or D you'll be in Gare du Nord in a few minutes, it's only one stop. (By the way my search for restaurants in the vicinity of Gare du Nord hasn't been very fruitful. There are lots of fantastic restaurants serving ethnic food in that area, but you've got those and probably more in the US. There aren't so many French restaurants over there, and those I saw were horrendously expensive.)
    I'm pretty sure she did it at least once. There was this one time when we were meeting up in a really posh café in downtown Athens and she was wearing that T-shirt. There was also another time when we went to the gym together and she was wearing a T-shirt from a campaign against AIDS and other STDs. I'll let you imagine the illustration.

It's a long weekend here starting tomorrow and we're off to visit friends in Brittany. There's a classical piano concert there with lots of Chopin on the programme, so I'll have a good pretext to think of those pics of Carrie Fisher and sniff in my handkerchief.

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Good afternoon all.

The Vanity Fair pics are amazing. The one of Mark and Carrie is beautiful. I also enjoyed seeing shots of Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern.

DarthIshtar I did a whirlwind tour of Europe and Russia in 1988. I was a junior in high school. It was an amazing trip. I'm glad you able to spend a little longer in each city. I hope Paris is all you hope it to be!

Lady_Misty and AzureAngel2 like this.
  9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I did 4 countries in 14 days in 1999, including France, and went back in 2001. I've never done a two-country hike before.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Thanks Mr Chyntuckopoulos
    My employer hasn´t replied since I sent him the pictures. The same happened with the other jobs as well so I guess he has nothing to complain and I´m finished.

11. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Lucky you for your travels, I have only been to the Paris airport.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes - I know your not leaving for a few days, but have fun.

It looks like my brothers are not going to get their poop in a group in time for us to travel anywhere this summer. However, I might take advantage of the fact that I technically don't start till October and grab a travel assistant and go somewhere in September when things tend to be a bit quieter.

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Weather might be nice, too! Def. don't wait on them!

I loved the photos; Mark & Carrie, and Carrie and Billie...so much more poignant now!!! Ugh...

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The Mark and Carrie pic about did me in this morning, they gotta stop with these pictures (though they are lovely!). I don't need to start everyday that emotional.

She sounds like my kind of person! I used to have several respiratory related shirts that wouldn't be 'appropriate in polite company', but they made me laugh. They got lost in one of my multiple moves in the last 5 years. :( One of the tamer ones I can post here was "They say being a respiratory therapist is easy but it's snot" with the last word looking like it was dripping.

DarthBreezy and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    OK guys - I'll never live it down, but it's official.

[Title Removed] is done.

You guys owe me a cookie.
    [face_laugh]

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey guys, please remember that pimping, even story titles, is not allowed in the social forum.

17. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

Sorry - definitely didn't mean too - You could have just reminded me and I would have taken it out myself. No Harm , no foul.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I have a friend who habitually gets me NSFW tshirts, which I wear to the gym. They're all actually cute, but I can't wear a tshirt with a shark saying "BITE ME!" to my office.

Happy 40th, Star Wars!

whiskers likes this.
  19. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I picked up my kids from school today and said, "Do you guys know what amazing thing happened 40 years ago today?" My son who is graduating from High School says, "Ummm...D-Day?" :rolleyes: :oops:

The younger one says, "You're an idiot. That happened more than 40 years ago."

I had to say, "Something amazingly awesome happened."

Then the older one then rolls his eyes and says, "It must have something to do with Star Wars." lol! They know me so well.

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I saw the doctor this afternoon about my sleeping problems and a wart on my finger that just won't go away. He froze the wart again (fourth time total, and second in the doctor's office) and scheduled a follow-up in a month to see if it needs further treatment. As for the sleep issues, he advised me to try some melatonin and limit "screen time" for an hour or so before bed. Hopefully that will work enough to finally let me proceed with the job search; I've been holding off on that because of the sleep issues.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Melatonin helps me. I also bought a meditation album from iTunes and listen it on my iPod at night. That helps me sleep.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You're lucky people. I'm sleepy at odd times during the day, yet I can only fall asleep with rivotril/klonopin at night. I hope this passes, it's dead annoying.

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I fall asleep sometime between 10 and 3 no matter what I try.

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I also use klonopin. That doesn't make me sleepy, it just makes it so I don't think about things all night.

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I timed my falling asleep around 1...the problem is, I can sleep for 12 hours. This stuff knocks me down. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.