main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    EVERYONE in NYC has a dog. Okay, that's not true, but it certainly seems like it. There are dogs everywhere! When my parents came for a visit, that was one of the things my dad noticed and said he'd never seen so many dogs in his life.

Yeah, we're in an apartment building, so it's quite different than the way I grew up with dogs where we had a fenced in yard and we could just let them out when they wanted. It's different in the city, in house training them you basically have to get them on a schedule and walk them on that schedule. You have to go to the park for more room to run and play than you have in your place. We have a big enough place for about a 20-25lbs dog (which is the size of this dog) to play in the apartment, though there are people in my building with much bigger dogs. But there's also an off leash, fenced in dog play area in the park that is right across the street from us and a huge walking/bike path/park with lots of grass and trees. For the times you might not be home to do these things, there are tons of professional dog walkers and doggie daycare places.

Saying you shouldn't have kids because you don't want to take care of a dog is stupid, it's not the same thing at all.

Yeah, it's for being registered for 17 years. According to the trophy list (You can find it HERE) the trophy should say:
    "Number Seventeen

Your account's seventeen, you know what I mean?"
    If it says something else, the code must have messed up or something.
    Happy Boardiversary!! [face_party]

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's wonderful news :D

Praise be the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young.

I hope it will go well :)

That's is a mistake you need to fix. I recommend the Leia comics and, as DARTH_MU said, Dr. Aphra

Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  3. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    As someone who has experience when it comes to pets/animals, I’m going to try to weigh in on this for anyone considering a dog or a cat. It really comes down to different kinds of responsibilities. A dog needs to be taken outside and needs to play or exercise, depending on the breed’s needs. Small breeds to medium breeds do well in small apartments. A cat uses the litter box which is convenient, but it also needs to play and exercise so you need to have toys, cat trees etc. Like with dogs, you actually need to groom cats as well, trim nails, etc.

Now comes the details: having a dog is actually more expensive. This is because dogs need specific vaccinations yearly and also need parasite control since they’re going outside. The real problem comes when they get sick and some breeds have many health issues you need to know about beforehand. Dog insurance is often more expensive than cat insurance, and yes, you should get some kind of insurance for a pet or at least have savings for them. You also need to watch dogs carefully because they will often eat anything they find on the floor or outside (I have no idea why they do this....) and this can lead to trouble very fast.
    There's also a question of the type of food you will be giving your pet, and for dogs this can get expensive as well. There’s also dental health---you need to brush a dog or a cat’s teeth daily which is extremely important. Both need annual vet checkups.

Sorry if this is is a bit long—just for anyone else actually considering adopting or caring for a pet.

AzureAngel2 and Sith-I-5 like this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Excellent advice, @gizkaspice .

Getting plants for my desks at work, I used to buy cute little ball cacti because I felt they had the best chance of surviving my lack of attention, until I remembered to water them again.

AzureAngel2, gizkaspice and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you, all...you're the best, really. :)

Thank you. :) @};- back to you!

I was starting to lose hope. And the more I read about people with bipolar, the more it didn't look like I had it. I am glad that the testing proved me right. But what's even funnier is that my new diagnosis is borderline personality disorder, something I claimed I had for years and nobody believed me. We could have avoided all this. The doctor made a huge mistake, just because I used the phrases "up and down" to describe my career and life in general.

Oh, the story? I actually happen to have two chapters that I never got beta'd and posted. [face_blush] I didn't have the strength to respond to the last set of comments, same goes for some other stories, but I hope I'll get on it, soon.

I quit Abilify cold turkey a month ago, because it completely changed me - I can even pin-point the moment I fell, sometimes at the end of the awards ceremony week on here. I became distant, like I was not present...I was blocked and, in July, I was mostly lying down all day. The withdrawal symptoms were not that many, but I was slightly restless, squirming in the chair, walking around the apartment and it lasted for about a week or so. I don't recommend that medicine to anybody with a non-psychotic issue. I know that it's marketed as an add-on treatment of depression, but it got me depressed, so there. I know people who legit have to take it and it's good for them, but for the rest of us...nah.

I am in the process of quitting clonazepam, which was given to me so I could sleep while on Abilify and I hope that it will work out fine.

The doctor kept me on Lamictal and added a Prozac generic. That should hopefully pull me out of depression. I still don't feel fit enough to work, but I need to be so, fast.

I am still kind of slow and unimaginative, but the actual me is creeping out slowly. ;)

And I am glad you were putting up with me while it lasted!

Thank you, brodiew, RK_Striker_JK_5, whiskers . <3

Briannakin - do you like the programme so far?

mavjade - With all those amenities available, I think you should get that Westie. Plus, they are so cute! [face_love]

Mistress_Renata - Happy 17th boardversary! [face_party]

Jedi_Lover - Those people should shut up. Since when having a dog can compare to having a child?

gizkaspice - Judi would bite me if I tried to brush her teeth. Dentastix FTW! But regarding everything else you said, I'm glad that I own a pretty tough crossbreed. She doesn't need "special" food and the like. I get her plain Pedigree Mini Adult kibble and every couple of days or so, we treat her with canned food or rice with various meat leftovers. :)

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] I got a trophy for being registerd 13 years at end of Aug. [face_party]

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have been in the mountains this week. Here are some photos from it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Is that you in the last pic?

Love them all, the first one of the lake (river?) in particular. :)

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yep :)

Thanks. :D I took most of them even if I can't take too much credit since I used a modern camera that dose most of the work.

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Ah, membership! They had to be so mysterious!

As to KIT-TEHS!!! I went to a cat show today. Soooo many beautiful cats; all kinds of different exotic purebreds... but the local animal shelters & rescue orgs were also there, with cages full of beautiful kitties needing homes. I had to resist the temptation to adopt Every. Single. One!!! I wanted to, but I didn't. His Majesty in residence is happier being the sole monarch, so... I did buy him a new catnip toy to make up for the fact that I was cheating on him with other kitties.

I am always fascinated by the cat agility course... the owners are running around waving the feather on the stick, and the kitties either a) run in the other direction or b) flop down in the center of the ring and stare at the humans as if they are out of their mind. Dog agility is beautiful to watch. Cat agility is just a Keystone Kops comedy.

12. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Great pics! Looks like a lovely place to take a hike.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I love watching kittens when they get all hyper and run around like little crazy cats. They are funny.

My grandmother had a dog that I liked, but I don't think it was pure dog. I think it was a coyote/German Shepard mix. She looked more coyote than dog. She was a great watch dog. The mail carrier wouldn't even come onto the porch if the door wasn't closed. He was afraid she would come right through the screen door. She only disliked men for some reason. Women and kids she didn't bark at.

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I once had a really stupid assignment in an English class (and, if you know anything about me in my high school days, you'll know my English education was a joke) where we had to pick sides of a debate and my group got "cats vs dogs". I'm a cat person, but I really don't mind (smart) dogs. But I had one girl try to argue with me that cats are more work to care for than dogs. Huh? I can leave my cats overnight and they will be fine, meanwhile my friend has to go home every 4 hours to let her dog out.

Ewok Poet - I actually don't start my programme until October - but I'm slowly getting all the administration stuff and it looks good. I still have profs from my old university trying to convince me to come back for my masters, so it's also nice to know I have a back up plan.

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Oh and stay safe any and all fanficcers who may live in Florida, USA.

Sith-I-5, Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  16. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I've had cats and a dog and enjoyed both and am unsettled by the owners of both who treat their pets more courteously than all humans and tell me stories in pet language. I draw the line at interpreting cat hisses and dog snuffles.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    [face_laugh]

What I can't stand is letting a dog or cat lick your face. My cat licks my son's ears while he sleeps. I told him the cat probably wouldn't do that if he cleaned his ears better. It is weird.

AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  18. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    I have a cat that chews on your knuckles to show affection...

Anyways, I'm a looong time lurker who finally got around to making an account.

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Welcome to the boards. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
  21. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017

Now I just need to work up the nerve to post the stuff I write

22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Finished a rough draft for my first essay for English class this morning. I have to submit the rough draft by midnight tomorrow (Monday) night, so I have a day to proofread and edit it a bit.

The nice thing about this class is that the due dates for all four essays are just for rough drafts, and after submitting an essay, we have the rest of the semester to edit and re-submit our essays for a higher grade as many times as we want. The only requirement for re-submitting is that we first sit down with the professor for a five-minute one-on-one conversation to discuss the essay and potential areas for improvement.

Also, giving and receiving peer reviews is a major part of our class participation grade, so maybe I'll see about presenting it for review in class tomorrow morning.

AzureAngel2, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    There seem to be a lot around this time, but today is my Boardiversary! 12 years I've been posting around this place! You guys, my screen name is almost a teenager! Ahhh!!
    (i actually thought it was in October until I got the FDR award today. I've been a member as long as FDR was the US president! )

Yay for unlurking Flyboy240!! :D Welcome!
    Posting your first story someplace new can be really nerve wracking, even more so if it's your first one to post ever, it took me months to get up the courage. But everyone is pretty nice around here! It can sometimes take a bit to get comments because there's so much to read, but hanging out in here, doing challenges, and letting people get to know you can help. Both with the getting commenters and feeling more comfortable posting. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me!

24. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Happy Boardiversary!

mavjade likes this.
  25. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Welcome Flyboy240 - I'll pretty much echo everything Mav sad - everyone knows how much courage it takes to post that first story, and things can be a bit slow around here in terms of commenters, but if you get to know people, you'll get to know that this is a pretty great community, even if we are all super busy sometimes.

And AHHHHHHH! Happy board-versary mavjade !!!!! I think the FDR award needs to be for when we have modded for as long as FDR was president :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.