main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I was finding it hard to believe that I've been here 16.5 years. Then i remember that on 9/10/01, I was working on a post in which the Jedi Temple was destroyed by a shuttlcraft loaded with explosives flying into one of the middle levels. When I woke up on 9/11, I knew I couldn't ever post that draft, so I posted something very different teo days later.

2. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    It's...odd...I guess, to note how often creativity and coincidence are intertwined. Sometimes it's great, other times it's creepy.

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. That is just creepy for lack of the right words. I was once working on a fic where Luke Skywalker had a stroke, only to hear a few hours later that my step-father's father had had a stroke. It took over a year before I could actually go back and finish it.

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    AzureAngel2 and mavjade like this.
  5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'll keep an eye out for stories you post, Flyboy240.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    It's back to school day here in Greece, and this morning I found my nieces and nephews proudly lined up in our building's entrance with their schoolbags and all :D Nephew #1 goes to grade 2, niece #1 to grade 1, nephew #2 to kindergarten and tiny niece #2 is already going to the nursery :eek:

Oh, and I also saw my goddaughter over the weekend. She (and her parents, obviously) spent 10 years in New Zealand, and last time I saw her she was one year old. That was another shock.

AzureAngel2, mavjade , Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  7. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I know that feeling, Chyntuck . My niece Taylor turned five the other day. Where does the time go?

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  8. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ I had that feeling at church yesterday at our picnic and all of the 7th to 9th graders were once infants I used to babysit in the nursery during service.

Lady_Misty, AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  9. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I know, right? We looked at old pics with my goddaughter when we met up, from the last time I saw her. She was a chubby little thing in diapers that couldn't even walk, and I had black hair :p

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    What's even more amazing is that the baby our preacher first baptized when she joined our congregation is now 2! Also, she was our interim pastor 11 years ago, and I babysat for her son, who is now 12/13.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Welcome aboard, Flyboy240. I hope you'll soon post a story and I hope you'll enjoy this thread, too. :)

Happy boardversary, mavjade! *raises a glass of Pepsi Max*

Sweet story about the kids, Chyntuck ...hope your goddaughter is enjoying Greece!

DarthIshtar, that was utterly creepy. But it happened to me, too, regarding Carrie Fisher's death, which is why I didn't finish one of my 2016 stories yet.

My experience with 9/11 was...interesting. I was eating in the living room, switching channels and then there was a bulletin of the first plane hitting the WTC. I thought that it was a wacky film. Then I figured out it was BBC. I went to the kitchen to tell my dad what happened, he told me that I have "vivid imagination" and didn't believe me until he saw it with his own eyes. Then again, he didn't believe me and mom when https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_bombing_of_the_Radio_Television_of_Serbia_headquarters took place, though the tomahawk missile flew over our building and everything shook when it hit the target. He was sleeping, we woke him up to tell him, he called us crazy and went back to sleep. Mind you, that was in the middle of a 78 day bombardment.

I just came back from the clinic. It took ages to get a prescription, because the doctor had to modify my entire file, remove the bipolar diagnosis and add the new one, with an explanation. She asked me what happened - she is replacing my regular doc otherwise and doesn't know me - and when I told her that I had been taking an antipsychotic for five months, for absolutely no reason, she was shocked. The pharmacist was, too. But she nicely assured me that things will be okay now. :)

AzureAngel2, mavjade , yahiko and 5 others like this.
  12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I first wrote it into a story about the Purges in 1999, but went into that detail on 9/10.

13. Joinerversers

Joinerversers Jedi Master

Feb 11, 2007
    Ewok Poet,

I put in the like for the pharmacy/doc correction.

I am sorry about the bombings, especially when you were practically next door.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002

Welcome!:) My cat will wake me up occasionally by sticking her cold, wet nose in my ear. [face_sick] Kinda grosses me out.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Well, Tom Clancy wrote about the US government being decapitated by an airliner attack on the Capitol back in the mid-90s. It's just weird, though, about the little coincidences art has with history.

AzureAngel2 and leiamoody like this.
  16. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    Thanks for the warm welcomes :)

17. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Thanks for clearing that up, though I would've never assumed that you were malicious or anything. :)

Can't be worse than when a beloved pet surprised you with "dutch oven". :p

18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Glad to hear your doc is trying to get you back on track, Ewok Poet!

I remember coming out of a meeting on 9/11 and looking across the river to see smoke coming up from the Pentagon. I thought it was just a construction fire. It was when I got back to my desk that things started going crazy, with rumors flying and us running to look out the windows to see if we could see smoke from the White House or the Capitol. At one point, the #2 for our organization went around the office and told us all to get out and go home, and I couldn't see why they wanted us outside when we were under attack; I wanted a nice deep air raid shelter!

Oh, and a nod and a big thank you to Canada, who had our back and took in all those folks who got stuck in the air when the borders closed. We are very lucky to have such neighbors. Although if y'all start building a big wall along your southern border, I don't think I can blame you one bit. ;)

Not much news here. I woke up at 3 am and had the darndest time trying to get back to sleep. By the time I got back to sleep, it was time to get up. I hate that! :mad:

AzureAngel2, Ewok Poet and yahiko like this.
  19. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    LOL. [face_laugh] No, not worse than that. So true.

20. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Good morning!

21. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    I'm looking for a very well written novel by a native English spoken author, with some lyrism in his/her sentences. Not interested by easy read books so common nowadays. I want to improve my litterary English :)
    (if the story is compelling, it's even better)

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't know how much lyrism there is in his works but I would suggest H.P. Lovecraft. He has an advanced language and good eduction but at the same time have no problem ignoring language rules when it fits him, you can download inread versions of some of his works here - http://hppodcraft.com/full-story-readings/ - most of those are really short so you can quickly listen to them and decide if he is for you.

yahiko likes this.
  23. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    I have not thought of Lovecraft but, you must be right. His writings should be useful for my purpose. Nice idea Gamiel ;)

EDIT: Meanwhile, I've started reading Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad. An excerpt:

24. Joinerversers

Joinerversers Jedi Master

Feb 11, 2007
    Catherynne Valente's Fairyland series
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairyland_(series)

If those are way "easy" to read and YA for you, check out any of Margaret Atwood's novels.
    Maybe the blind assassin?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blind_Assassin

Edit: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. More modern, 20th century vocabulary and grammar.

Lovecraft, while lyrical? and byzantine, writes in 19th century grammar and vocabulary.

I just checked out your (yahiko)'s quote from Conrad's Heart of Darkness.
    The second and third sentence is considered "run long sentences".... Most modern readers won't be able to breathe.
    This is the 19the century grammar and vocabulary I'm talking about right there.

Edit 2: oh heck, if Margaret Atwood's books are too "popular", check out these
    4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster (US) (Faber & Faber)
    Days Without End by Sebastian Barry (Ireland) (Faber & Faber)
    History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund (US) (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)
    Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (Pakistan-UK) (Hamish Hamilton)
    Solar Bones by Mike McCormack (Ireland) (Canongate)
    Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor (UK) (4th Estate)
    Elmet by Fiona Mozley (UK) (JM Originals)
    The Ministry Of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy (India) (Hamish Hamilton)
    Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (US) (Bloomsbury Publishing)
    Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie (UK-Pakistan) (Bloomsbury Circus)
    Autumn by Ali Smith (UK) (Hamish Hamilton)
    Swing Time by Zadie Smith (UK) (Hamish Hamilton)
    The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (US) (Fleet)

The above is the long list of the Man Booker Prize 2017. I don't know if the average person even heard of some of them. Anyway, these novels are supposed to be the pinnacle of the English language novel for the year.

yahiko likes this.
  25. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Do you mean English as in British, or English as in the language in general?

If the former, I suggest Charles Dickens and William Shakespeare.

If the latter, I still suggest the above, but also O. Henry.

Joinerversers and yahiko like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.