main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    It's not a plural, it's the nominative form. The plural form of gyros (in 'scientific' transcription) would be gyroi, but it's never used seeing as it's not a countable word.
    They. Are. Amazing. My friend brought them yesterday and I've been stuffing my face since I cracked the first one open last night. I have (had) this big 10-kg bag in the kitchen and I was planning at first to make liqueur, but I'm probably going to end up eating them all.

Kahara and JadeLotus like this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I feel like I am in a war zone. All I heard all morning has been gunshots coming from the surrounding forest. Deer season starts tomorrow and the hunters are out practice shooting or zeroing their weapons.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Surrounding forest?!

Is your house bulletproof?

Unless your wear a suit of beskar, that sounds an unwise place to live.

4. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't know how far away the hunters are. It is so quiet around here normally that sound travels a great distance. I haven't had a problem with stray bullets yet. Usually the hunters accidentally kill themselves. I heard of hunters climbing up into tree stands, drop their rifles or shotguns and the thing goes off when it hits the ground and ends up shooting the hunter. Last year was the first year since the Department of Natural Resources started recording deaths and injuries that we had nobody killed while hunting (in my state). There was one girl that died but that was when a shotgun accidentally discharged on the drive home and therefore the DNR doesn't count that as hunting related.

I will tell you that I don't go out on any walks during this time of year.

5. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's the same at my grandma's house, but luckily she lives far enough away from the designated hunting areas that there would be no bullets. But since she moved away from the little lake town she lived in towards the more "wild" Northwoods, you can hear gunshots often. The weirdest is at night. I can't see how people hunt at night...I'd think you're 20x more likely to shoot something you don't want to.

Kahara likes this.
  6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It'll soon be that noisy here.

I've spent all day with stomach issues. Great effin' weekend for me.

7. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Feel better soon Trak [:D]

I think the neighbours who had the party last night are finishing up the booze now. We just got home from dinner out and they're singing loud enough for the whole neighbourhood to notice 8-}

Kahara likes this.
  8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Mabel's laying beside me and purring and I asked if she knew I was feeling lousy. Then I said, "Nah, you're just waiting for me to keel over so you can eat me."

Mabel winks at me in response.

Kahara, leiamoody, Exeter and 3 others like this.
  9. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    You're just going to have to out-live that dastardly cat, TrakNar.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I pet her and she purred and gave me her derp face, so I think she's just being silly. Got her beside me now and she's purring and settling in for a nap. I'm half-tempted to do the same, considering how lousy I feel.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A Swedish comic podcast I follow had its 5 years jubilee tonight and they celebrated by having a pub night and I was one of the people there for the celebration. There was some joking competition were the price was comic book issues, one of the competitions was to who could sound closest to a wookiee with Chewbacca #1 & #2 as the price. I won that competition :)

12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Wow. Long day today. Had to get up at 8:30am (I typically get up in the early afternoon) because my dad was going to be gone all day and someone had to be home and awake in case UPS delivered our new router from AT&T, because the ship notification from AT&T said it would be arriving today, despite the UPS tracking saying Monday. Well, it left Columbus, OH, at 7:30am this morning to head for the Springfield, OH, distribution center (about an hour away), as as of right now, still hasn't arrived in Springfield according to the tracking info. I suspect the package is sitting on the loading dock in Springfield, waiting for someone to show up tomorrow night and scan it in. So that was five hours of sleep lost for no reason.

Then I went to see my mom at a craft show she was set up at (she crochets various things to sell, and her mother also does knit pieces and sewing), and ended up helping them tear down and carry everything back to her house, then she and I went out to eat together. I'm tired. [face_tired]

Anyway, I found a neat little program called calibre late last night, and I spent a large portion of today screwing around with it. calibre (always lowercase, even at the start of a sentence) is a free and powerful program to create your own e-books and convert them between formats. After some trial and error, I got decent-looking Kindle books out of the two short fics I posted here early in this year, and a little tweaking of the underlying HTML and CSS code got them looking almost professional. So I now have those two fics on my Kindle and on my phone for use with its Kindle app. :D Tomorrow, I'm going to try creating an ePub book (the format used by most e-readers other than Kindle) and hopefully figure out how to share a folder on Google Drive so that I can provide download links in the prolific writers' index.

calibre is actually pretty easy to use; you don't need any coding knowledge at all to get decent conversions (though some basic knowledge of HTML and CSS helps for fine-tuning). You can convert directly from .docx and .odt files; just make sure you use Word's/OpenOffice's native heading styles rather than manual font and font size changes, and use page breaks where appropriate.

(What I'm getting at here is that y'all might want to check it out. ;) :p)

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    And we Dutch have 'Sausijsjes' and 'oliebollen' to name a few of Dutch treats

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I took a nap, but I'm still feeling pretty lousy. Doesn't help matters that I also have kidney pain on my left side, which is moving into my flank, so I'm beginning to wonder if my upset guts are related to that.

15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yup jcgoble3 calibre is what I've been using, and as opposed to you I'm a technologically challenged person, so I can confirm that it's really a cool little piece of software. An added advantage is that the user's manual seems to have been written for dummies like me, and that's really helpful. (Oh, and also use Google Drive for storage, and that's also for dummies :p )

Admiral Volshe, Exeter and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...and away we go for the third time in a month. Rain! (And, also, according to the weather service... large surf! And mountain snow! And... winter weather preparedness! Yay!) This keeps up, the governor will just have to cancel the state of emergency. (Goooooo El Nino effect!)

17. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Glad the drought's over with, DaenaBenjen42; perhaps the reservoirs will all be refilled as well?

18. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...maybe. Our local lake has a looooong way to go. (Also they need to dredge it, but good luck convincing both the corps of engineers of this AND the entire county... even though I wrote an English paper all about that and did the math and discovered that the project could pay for itself because people always need dirt and rock for varying projects including road repair. Just... there's a lot of variables there. And standing in the south parking lot today... aiee. A really good storm that drops ten inches would PROBABLY get the water level to the bottom of the boat ramp. Probably. At any rate, judging by how low it is... we're totally prepared for flood control.)

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    A five-year-old's birthday party later today. The family - traditionally - remembers we're alive only when we're supposed to bring gifts. I'm thinking of pissing off the aunt who thinks I'm outrageous by wearing something that her lovely, example for proper womanhood, daughters in law with boring clothes and boring red gel nails would never wear. :p Something that Pippi Longstocking would wear.

Not that the gift won't shock her, anyway. :p

[​IMG]

20. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Wow, Ewok Poet, your aunt must lead a very narrow life. I'm boringly conservative in most ways, but that gift wouldn't even cause me to bat an eyelash. In fact, the Youngling would love it because she's always had a strange fascination with teeth.

Hope you feel better soon, TrakNar! We're all dealing with stomach afflictions, too. The Youngling is almost over it, but Mr. B and I are still feeling yucky. He has it worse than I do, which is odd, since I have no immune system and usually get slammed with every virus.

In happier news, our annual pilgrimage to Disney World is coming, and I'm getting excited because they keep announcing more SW stuff at Hollywood Studios. The Star Tours ride is going to feature a Jakku fly-through, and they're going to have the SW Launch Bay with exhibits and Vader and Chewie meet and greets... And merchandise ;) Squee!

21. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...also, because the storm fronts are coming out of the gulf of Alaska, they're coming packaged with freeze warnings and moutain snow in their wake. Which is good, because we totally need that mountain snow.)

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My cat wants to go outside and she is at the window meowing the most pitiful meow and it sounds just like "Nooooooo!"

So I said to the cat, "What did Darth Vader say when he found out he killed Padme?" The cat right on cue said, "Noooooo!"

This is a boring Sunday morning, can you tell? :p Oh well, my son thought it was funny.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    She didn't get to see it. No single gift was opened, they were all tucked in storage and then taken away to be opened at home...but other than that, she spent a great time sitting in the corner with a blank expression on her face, not taking a part in pretty much anything. Mom says she was that way at parties, when they both were kids, teens and youth.

As I said some pages earlier, she also thinks I'm a lesbian looking to recruit MOAR LESBIANS, presumably her grandchildren. :p That opens...multiple cans of worms. I'm not one and, whoa, what would she do if I was?

I would not want to be her. At any given point. There's a difference between "boringly conservative" and a kriffslider. She's the latter.

Exeter likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But, but watching the gift opening is a quarter of the fun :(

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I agree. I remember one of my closest friends doing this when we were in school and putting post-its on each box and I thought it was offensive. Nowadays, it's socially acceptable and everybody does it. So, if you don't add a note to your gift, nobody will know how thoughtful you were. :(

Kahara likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.