main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn is/was NOT 'a janitor.'

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DD-1110, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The line is there for storytelling reasons. We need to learn, clearly, that Finn has no idea how to lower the shields and that he's there for Rey, not the mission. His assignment being sanitation is as far away from an assignment surrounding the shields as one can get, that's why it's chosen. It's a real shame that so many have jumped on it and drawn the completely wrong conclusions about the character.

It's demeaning to Finn in the same way that calling Rey a perfect Mary Sue is to her.

2. darthdave1271

darthdave1271 Jedi Master

May 24, 2002
    Some photoshop wizard really needs to make a pic of Finn wielding a plunger instead of a lightsaber.

medar likes this.
  3. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Thank you for proving my point.

4. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015

Maybe they don't think there's a such thing as man made climate change. Maybe they don't think 2+2=4, maybe they don't think the sky is blue. If they can't see the clarity in it, then they are tunnel minded. Its a conscious effort to remain oblivious.

5. medar

medar Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015

Or maybe we are intellectuals who have actually both educated ourselves and, of equal importance, have walked in this world and realize that the low end and vastly non educated complaining from individuals, while always seeing racism and/or conjuring ridiculous narratives, is a total and utter waste of our time to even spend more than a moment dealing with. You are entitled to your opinion and nobody is telling you to not have it. However, you are attempting to insert your minority opinion on to others who simply wish to enjoy a movie and not have to deal with people such as yourself who actually believe they know the mindset of people they have no connection with while equally speculating and slandering them in the process.

You want to complain and want to see negative issues with each and every single thing? Fair enough, it's your life and thus your waste of time. However, it is not everyone else's responsibility to agree with you just to make you happy and feel like you have accomplished something. He stated he worked in sanitation.... so what? Nobody is hurt. Life goes on and doesn't require you telling others what they are or aren't for it to do so.

6. rhymecheat

rhymecheat Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    I must say, I thought this thread would have died pretty fast... 4 pages ago :D

7. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015

Like...I....said...."tunnel minded people". Good day.

8. medar

medar Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015
    It's called "tunnel vision", not "tunnel minded" as that makes utterly no sense. I figured I would do my good deed for the day and help someone who is vastly lacking any substance and repeating the same rhetoric again and again without adding a single factual and/or convincing facet to their wondrous stance.... all while telling people what they are. You must do exceedingly well for yourself.

Good day to you as well.

9. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    As CrazyOldJedi has stated many times Finn is a Normal Guy\Everyday Joe who gets caught up in something bigger than himself and comes out on the other side a better man.

10. rhymecheat

Dec 22, 2015
    To anyone thinking Finn was a janitor by having worked in sanitation at SKB, I offer you a snippet of Before The Force Awakens:

There. Close this thread :D

11. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Luke was a good pilot, but his progression goes from being really good with trainer aircraft to flying an F-22 into combat, with a squadron that he has never flown before, and with zero experience or training in squadron tactics, on the basis of "I can totally make that shot, honest guys!". If we're so concerned about "realism" he should have been laughed out of the briefing room.

12. ksb36

ksb36 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2014
    My first thought when he said he was in sanitation is that he was kind of a troublemaker, a nonconformist. In the military, doesn't the guy who can't get along end up scrubbing the toilets or something?

kevmp likes this.
  13. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005

If Biggs' comment at the debriefing and in the deleted scenes is anything to go by flying an X-Wing isn't much harder than flying a T-16. In fact, the fact that Biggs has complete confidence in Luke tells us that Luke is an amazing pilot from the onset.

14. ZombieSnake57

ZombieSnake57 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2015
    What's wrong with Finn being a janitor? Everybody acts like it's the worst thing in the world, but it makes sense for his character. Before getting to Jakku Finn was sheltered from the worst side of the First Order. He was subject to it's propaganda from a very young age and kept away from it's reality to be indoctrinated into the First Order, but once he sees reality his first instinct is to run away.

Being in sanitation would give Finn the opportunity to discover the ins and outs of Starkiller base so he could help the Resistance take it down, but doesn't take away from his abilities as a Stormtrooper. So what if he had a custodial role at one point? By the start of the film he was a full-fledged Stormtrooper and that's pretty much all that matters.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    In my head canon, Finn did a good job cleaning up the place with Joel and Mike until Kylo Ren and Hux didn't like the latter two and shot them into space. Thus, MST3K was born!

16. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Are there any janitors in this thread that can share their opinions?

Also, I happen to have some normal side questions like...I never, ever see janitors with all-purpose cleaners and other specialized products...which is the argument I make for talking my wife out of buying all that crap. Bleach, vinegar, mild detergent, baking soda, and ammonia seem to be more than good enough for the "pros" so they're good enough for us! I just want to get some validation. The occasional CLR, steamer, muriatic acid too.

17. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Maybe Stormtroopers do a 'tour of duty' at all aspects of maintenance, sanitation, engineering etc. so they are familiar with all the inner workings of First Order infrastructure.
    I happen to recall a situation where it would have been handy to have had a a squad be familiar with the trash compactors in an Imperial facility happening before.
    "Where'd they go?"
    "Oh, I worked sanitation and I see that there is a gaping hole in this trash compactor grate so it's obvious they went down there. No need to follow them, I can tell you that the maintenance hatch is magnetically sealed, they will be crushed [checks time] in oh, about thirty seconds."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Phasma outright states that he's never been in trouble before

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    The whole sanitation bit was to give a moment of comic levity before the heart breaking event that was soon to come. It was also to establish that Finn was really there for Rey, anything else was secondary to him. I don't think any analysis beyond that is needed.

20. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Finn's the nuts. End of :)

21. ksb36

ksb36 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2014
    Yeah, she did. It's one of the things that doesn't make thematic sense to me. I prefer to think of Finn as kind of a troublesome Stormtrooper. You know, the guy who never bought into the propaganda, but who's been going along to get along.

22. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005

Considering that Finn couldn't identify any of the tools Rey needed when she was fixing the ship it stands to reason that Stormtroopers don't no anything when it comes to engineering. From what the movie tells us, Finn knows how to shoot and Finn knows how the Starkiller's sanitation works. Anything beyond that is pure conjecture.

23. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    That's a great point. Maybe he was a trooper in charge of guarding a compactor chute?

24. OhioGal1

OhioGal1 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2015
    Ok I am not even sure how I found this forum, let alone this thread, as I am a very casual Star Wars fan (if you can call it that...as in I've seen the first three on TV and stuff) who googled something after seeing the film and stumbled upon this place. I was bored and found this thread and somehow kept reading and must say it is the most fascinating exercise in futility I've ever seen and I cannot look away lmao. I had to register because of this thread alone. I may never comment again but please continue, I am popping the popcorn.

On a side note....my dad IS a janitor. And he's a pretty great guy. And. I can't handle all this janiitorism up in this place! All you janorists!!! (And to whoever asked about the baking soda and vinegar etc as just as good cleaning options.....they sure are lol. )

Anyways. I liked the film a lot and it actually got a non super fan interested in the franchise. I liked Finn. Then again I didn't have any expectations going into this but hey if he can get non uber fans excited then isn't that an automatic win no matter what?. But please continue this debate. I haven't been this entertained in a while........are all the threads like this? Why have I never gotten into Star Wars sooner?!?!?

25. rhymecheat

Dec 22, 2015
    And now I've started to rethink my life :p

Anyways, Welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.