main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn & Rey in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ren Kylo, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    JB said the phrase: "I don't know, " like... a BILLION times! Aside from that, not sure what else we can infer from his interview.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    The problem with such statements from John that he is playing with words a lot lately. I really hope this is his personal PR preference and not the way studio wants to make headlines.

There is dissonance between these statements and the way he worded the last one.

I actually always believed John's words because he was the one who spoilered a lot without actual spoilers. He pretty much described TLJ in the one of pre-release interviews, he said exactly what will not happen in the movie.

3. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    The statements you're quoting was from two years ago. Whereas recently he's been giving a lot of support to the Finn and Rey romance concept. Both going into and after TLJ's release. It's clear he sees it as a very valid possibility.

4. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    So they didn't play it as romance but now somehow it's established romance? How does it work? And he himself is saying he didn't talk with JJ?

I have nothing against one way or another in context of waiting for IX; it's just make me question John's words, sadly, and I never did it.

5. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I think he's saying that they have an established love for each other, but they haven't made each other an official romance yet. It's like how you and your crush can both like each other, but until you ask them out you're not dating them yet. In your quote he says that didn't establish a romance, but now he's saying they have an established love.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  6. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014

7. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    You said it Chewie.

8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Careful. Oscar would say the same thing about Finn and Poe

But reading the article, its more about him deflecting all the relationships when the author asks about Finn and Poe.

I'm more interested in what Boyega says in the final paragraph about hoping for a more layered Finn with a stormtrooper Rebellion

Lost_Hope likes this.
  9. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    *sigh* If he is saying that they didn't play romance, that they played it as just friends and Daisy is calling him brother, there were no crushes. This is not about making romance "official", because he already said they simply didn't play this dynamic like this. So, two options: 1. he lied about it two years ago 2. he wants people to read more in his statements, playing with words.

I have no doubt that Rey and Finn love each other. But in the context of that question, John is playing with words, as I said early.

ReyRandom likes this.
  10. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Lol, he basically said he wants to see Finn written with more depth. He says here, as he has said in the past, that he STILL has no clue why Finn defected and how he broke conditioning. He's confused like all the other fans.

11. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    He didn't lie two years ago. He read the script where RJ was pushing a dumb "romance" between Rey and the guy she just watched murder her mentor.

He has made a few comments that show he does see romantic potential between Finn and Rey moving forward. The most obvious one to me is his tweet making fun of the FinnRey friendzone advocates after TLJ. He isn't playing with words. He doesn't know the story for IX, but he clearly is open to anything and he's having fun with it.

12. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    He said he and Daisy didn't play it like this in TFA. Period.

He can be open for whatever he wants, that's cool.

But his answer in the context of question was playfully hinting that "something" maybe was established, at least you can read it like this. Which he said wasn't two years ago. This is what I'm talking about, not about will they\won't they. I explained already my concern - that I always believed John because he was straightforward.

FYI John likes Reylo posts which are making fun of Finnrey because Daisy called him brother. See his response when someone said that it will be dumb and unfair if Rey end not with Finn. (I follow John on all SM)

13. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Honestly I don’t know why you are so adamant about something that’s not serious, which is clearly exactly how JB sees it. Obviously it’s “cool” for him to be open to whatever. You’re the one that proposed that he’s a liar if he said something about a ship two years ago that something he’s saying now might arguably contradict.

I don’t care about Reylo but I respect JB being cool with fans shipping whatever. I also respect him rejecting any notion that Finn is entitled to Rey. Clearly you’re trying to pigeonhole people into being pro-something and therefore anti-the opposite team, but actually most people don’t think that way, especially about something as irrelevant as a movie ship.

Personally I think “something” was established in TLJ, which was set up in TFA. Obviously TFA never crossed a line into romance. TLJ establishes that the bond they built in TFA is enduring for each. That’s “something” that can be expanded on in the future. Doesn’t mean it will be.

14. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    You should read previous conversation because I listed that options if another poster is correct.

No, I wasn't doing it. He liked posts which make fun of Finnrey. I mentioned this only because you said that he was making fun FinnRey friendzone advocates on SM. That was my answer to this: he was making fun of Finnrey shippers too.

Let's agree to disagree, what do you think? These conversations about ship wars are so exausting, I regret them every time.

15. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    If that other poster is correct, he still isn't a liar. We are talking about a movie ship for gods sake. All of this is subject to context plus it just isn't that serious.

That JB is an equal-opportunity josher doesn't undercut the point that he's open to FinnRey going romantic in IX and thinks the door is open for it.

16. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    If they played "crush" and the problem was only that they are not asked each other out in-universe, he lied. This has nothing to do with the future.

He was talking exactly about context two years ago.

17. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Yeah I get it and I still think your use of the word "lie" is patently absurd. He could simultaneously believe that he played friendship AND crush. The relationship in TFA never crossed any romantic barriers. When he was asked about this and he was the most down on notions of FinnRey was AFTER he read the absurd TLJ script where the character he was being asked about his character getting romantic with is portrayed as having finger sex, per the director, with the guy that jacked up his character. It's plausible that might lead an actor to downplay romance between those two characters. None of it in any way possible equals a lie.

18. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    "We NEVER played it that way."

19. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    They NEVER had an explicitly romantic scene. Not complicated.

20. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    Great, this is exactly he should have said if there were no romantic scenes but actors played both friendship AND crush.

I explained two times already what was my personal concern.

21. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    He should say it however he wants to say it because it's not serious and it doesn't matter. Your personal concern isn't his problem.

22. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    I'm so glad some posters here are inside JB's head 24/7 and know exactly what he's thinking. Also very glad we've now established that a funny picture on social media an actor likes trumps said actor's actual, verbal statements, such as "I personally would like to see Finn end up with Rey."

23. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    Where did I say this is his concern? And why are you deciding here what matters and what doesn't? This is FinnRey thread and I'm talking about how an actor describes their relationship.

Rian Johnson should describe Rey's arc and Finn's arc however he wants to describe them. Your and fan's concerns isn't his problem. End of every thread/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Some posters here are inside Mark's and RJ's head 24/7 and exactly know what every person in SW think. Like, for example, that John dislikes Johnson. And likes trumps a lot of verbal statements here even if such statements are not personal preferences but actually serious answers.

24. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I fully-want a cameo of Millicent chasing a frantically beeping Mouse Droid.

Valency Jane, oncafar and Birkendoc like this.
  25. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    And yet here you are as a Reylo supporter in the Rey/Finn thread creating a war yourself.

Ryanpaulstewart likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.