main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn & Rey in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ren Kylo, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Just my opinion, but I'd probably wait on judging the actors' candor on the trilogy's endgame relationships (shipping), until we know for sure that they've seen Episode IX's script.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    My first post was neutral and not about shipping. I was talking about John's statements because I'm John's fan.

When conversation changed, I politely asked to agree to disagree. To prevent a war even if it is not Finnrey fanclub. People can post here different opinions.

If you have problems with someone being Reylo "supporter," take it to the mods. I have nothing against canon Finnrey or canon Stormpilot.

3. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    Agreed. At the end of the day, it's just his opinion, he's made that very clear.

Also, this discussion seems to be rapidly devolving into something ugly.

Ryanpaulstewart and cerealbox like this.
  4. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    By bringing up that he liked posts about Reylo on twitter and laughing at posts about Finnrey? Bringing that up in THIS thread doesn't sound like you being neutral on the topic.

5. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    My first post was neutral and not about shipping.

Did I come here to tell about his likes on Instagram out of the blue or maybe I answered to someone who brought up "John is making fun of Rinnrey friendzone advocates." I pointed out that he is making fun of both.

THIS thread is about Finn and Rey relationship (all types) in IX. Not about Finnrey ship.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “Friendzone” sounds like a term that high school and college guys use when they are disappointed because they only wanted sex and found out that, horror of horrors, the girl or woman in question actually has thoughts.

I don’t think either Finn or John Boyega are that shallow.

7. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    This seems like a case of shooting the messenger. Boyega is responsible for his own actions on Twitter; mentioning what he does is not the same as supporting it or "starting a war", whatever that is supposed to mean.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  8. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  9. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ng-to-john-boyega_us_5a9f0a22e4b0e9381c131d76

Other Shipping Fandoms: "He's obviously crazy."

In all seriousness, after seeing Pacific Rim Uprising...I now have a baseline for how John Boyega portrays positive sibling relationships on film....clearly I can apply that to Finn in Star Wars to determine....

*building consensus*

....That Finn and Rey are endgame.

Okay, being serious now....for real this time.

When John was asked this question over a year ago when TLJ was being filmed, he knocked down (or so people said) the idea of a Finn/Rey romance...now he's seemingly backtracked....Then again since Finn and Rey don't hang out much in TLJ he WAS being completely truthful....however at this point since he hasn't seen the script he's just talking about his own interpretation of Rey and Finn's dynamic.

You're our only hope, John....make sure Finn and Rey get the ending they deserve.

I promise I'll stand guard outside your door to protect you from the shippers that will be calling for your blood.

All right all right...I'll stop playing and get back to writing now.

...right after I post some fan art.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of the things I think I like about this relationship and the fanart around it...is the sense of Joy I tend to see in it's presentation. Even that on screen hug at the end of TLJ just seemed so....positive, like two people who really care for one another finally reuniting after being forced to face separate trials...it was uplifting.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey guys, let's keep the fanart/gifs to a small minimum. This isn't a fanclub or tumblr page, and we don't want the discussion drowned out by the clutter.

11. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Sorry about that.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  12. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    @Adept I like how you put that. Finn and Rey spend so much time in TLJ being emotionally and physically strained to their limits. Both of them struggle to find their place in the story, both are mistreated by people who are supposed to be their allies. Both find themselves getting involved with and ultimately trusting shady people and having it backfire massively on them just when they think they've changed. And both of them lose the battle of Crait just when they think they've got a chance (when Rey and Chewie counter the TIEs, and when Finn sees the cannon's weakness). Both of them are ultimately forced to retreat.

The only time Rey and Finn can finally be happy and relieved it when they reunite and escape Crait together. I think that says a lot about their characters, and I really hope we get to see their relationship expand in Episode IX, even if it's at the end or the climax considering IX's supposed to be all out war basically.

And at least we know we're not crazy for thinking that it could, considering where John stands on the topic. To him it's an obvious logical choice regardless of where the story ends up going. It's not some crazy baseless speculation or wishful thinking. The pieces are already there according to him.

EDIT: Oh! Also I'm not sure if it's been posted already, but there's another interview he did recently where he's asked to choose Rey or Rose, and then Rey or Poe.

Both of his answers were Rey. [face_coffee]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  13. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    So apparently John Boyega was at awesomecon and had his own panel. He also said that Daisy texted him that Finn and Rey will be together in Episode IX and that he ships finnrey

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  14. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    “John said Daisy Ridley texted him after meeting with J.J. to say that they were back together in IX.”

15. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Well of course he does...the two have great chemistry on screen and their relationship is refreshingly sweet. There's a reason I have Daisy Ridley down for the role of 'Chani' and John Boyega for the role of 'Paul' in my Dune casting.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    So, since the pair will be together again, what do you all feel are teh chances that we'll see a scene of them fighting together...and how do you expect that to be handled by Abrams?

17. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    I do think they will fight together and one or both of them will be in grave danger only for Kylo (edit: Ben might be the more appropriate name as this will serve as his redemption) to save him and/or her in a self sacrifice

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  18. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    ...Um okay. So anyways I can't wait to see how Rey and Finn will totally save the day together in Episode IX.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  19. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    yeah!
    [​IMG]

20. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    i cannot wait to hear them SPEAK to each other again [face_dancing]

AhsokaSolo, Deerborne, rorow1 and 2 others like this.
  21. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay so I understand that this is very shippy, and I know we're not supposed to flood the thread with these types of posts so I apologize ahead of time, but I wanted to post this because I think it explains the theory the best. And it adds the emotional weight to their relationship as well. Hopefully others agree as well. It's a nice way to sort of enhance their reunion scene a little bit more.

Also, John's awesomecon panel where he spoke a lot about finnrey, he also joked/agreed with a fan about wanting Mace to be Finn's father or grandfather and said, "C'mon guys, Rey can't do it on her own!" Even if these things aren't true, sometimes it just takes the edge off to simply speculate a tad, mostly when nothing directly contradicts those things and when anything can happen moving forward.

Not to go off topic...but like...I remember Lucas said that Mace can still be alive if SLJ wanted him to be. Makes me wish Filoni would do something with that considering he surprised everyone and had Ahsoka and the Rebels crew survive way longer than expected. *sigh*, in a better timeline, perhaps.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  22. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    It's an interesting idea and could certainly work if part of episode 9's story is about Rey looking for and trying to help/train new force sensitives....only at the end to realize one has been standing and fighting at her side for years. Say Finn pushes through his own self imposed mental blocks to access the force after the movie has Rey teaching him about it, the philosophy behind it...not realizing she's training her first apprentice. For example they could be fighting against the KoR, and are about to be overwhelmed by sheer numbers when Finn takes her advice, let's go and acts on instinct. At first he's just fighting better than he has before, but eventually the riot baton is knocked from his hand...and on instinct he thrusts his hand forward and sends his attacker flying into another one. Rey's shocked, Finn's shocked, but holds onto the feeling summoning a sword like weapon to his hand and the pair successfully defeat long odds together. Finn's ability is clearly unrefined, but solid

23. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Yeah. It's just frustrating because there's literally no reason that it can't happen. It's not like it would kill the story, and it feels like anyone gets to be randomly force sensitive except for Finn nowadays. In fact it would add so much more to it. Imagine the stormtroopers that could be force sensitive but never know about it. It's stated in TLJ novel that Hux doesn't separate potentially FS stormtroopers because he doesn't see a reason too. That way it opens up more options when it comes to stormtroopers who prefer to become Resistance fighters, or possibly train in the ways of the Force.

Boom, rebuilding the Jedi Order and the Resistance, all while deconstructing the FO. Plus, Finn suddenly picking up on the Force in an emergency really wouldn't be the most far fetched thing in this trilogy anymore would it...

If they really wanna do something different and "subversive," that's the way to do it. That would actually be a twist that builds on the story, not destroys it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  24. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  25. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    It's probably another inconsistency (aka, fuel for me grasping at Force-straws), but it's weird that in the novel Rey remembers Finn saying "Come get it!" to Ren after she was beyond knocked out cold...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Jedi Jessy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.