main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn & Rey in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ren Kylo, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    JJ and Vic Mahoney are directing Episode IX together. Hopefully this new inclusiveness for the directors' chairs will lead to a wonderful finnrey romance.

2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Maybe it's a force connection? [face_tee_hee] I mean, in according to Rian touch hands apparently is important and:
    [​IMG]

Voidgazer and Rhyoth like this.
  3. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    It's very good to have more women and poc behind the camera, but the story line won't be driven by Vic, it's will be JJ and Chris driving the events. Vic is leading the second unit.

Deerborne likes this.
  4. Niamor05

Niamor05 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2018
    "I loved the developing romance between your character, Finn and Rey in “The Force Awakens.” How is that romance evolving in the next chapter?

Boyega: I mean, we didn’t establish a romance in seven; we never played it that way. Daisy and I, we’re friends.

So there’s no romance?

Boyega: Yes, Finn and Rey – they’re just friends. Finn is a storm trooper, so he doesn’t really know what’s going on. So the romance thing is something that’s going to be interesting in the next installment. It’s not going to go the way you think it’s going to go."

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-wars-episode-viii-darker-bigger-john-boyega-1201774027/

[​IMG]

You will have a wonderful Finn Rose romance in 9.

They won't drop Rose, the first woman of color lead in the saga, to make a romance with Rey.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Birkendoc likes this.
  5. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    It seems John has since changed his tune since that interview 2 years ago. He now says he ships Finn and Rey. Interestingly enough he started saying he ships Finn and Rey after Daisy called him to tell him she met with JJ to discuss IX and their characters.

6. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I love it when people still bring up that ONE interview from two years ago [face_laugh] And ignore all the other times John Boyega has supported a potential romance between the two since then.

I also love how back then no one was worried about Finn, the first black male lead in a Star Wars movie, being dropped by "doesn't need him" Rey when the whole #friendzone thing was real popular. But now everyone "totally" cares about Rose. Sureee....

Oh, but whenever he says something pro-finn/rey, suddenly "He's just an actor guys. His opinion doesn't matter"

7. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    John was being honest about a romance in TLJ, one didn't occur between Rey and Finn because they spent the majority of the film separated, and despite some teasing during interviews...nothing romantic happened between Finn and Rose either. That (Finn/Rose) kiss...and the look of bewilderment on Finn's face during it was yet another subversion of expectation (Man Johnson loves subversion). People tend to assume that if a man and woman adventure together in a film they'll fall in love....in fact people were pushing Finn and Rose together the moment they heard about her presence years ago.....and instead we get a one sided romantic interest whose attempt at a kiss falls so flat that I am glad she passed out...otherwise it would've gotten really awkward.

In fact we compare the Finn/Rose Kiss with the Finn/Rey hug and it's clear which pair has a mutual and significant bond.

8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I hadn't considered that aspect....but yeah...Finn's support of Rey would stand as a stark contrast to Kylo's attempt to make her lean on him...

9. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    It's almost like TLJ was full of inconsistencies both plot-wise and character-wise. But on another note, I would love it if Kylo tried to use this to divide Rey and Finn at some point in IX.

Ren Kylo likes this.
  10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    To be fair, Rey's rejection of Kylo's offer and the slamming of the door in his face lead me to believe that the above comic is just putting into words what essentially happened and giving explicit context as to why...but that is MY interpretation.

11. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I mean probably, yeah, but I just think it would've been more emotionally compelling had they made that more apparent. It would've shown to just what extent that Rey really was manipulated or not thinking straight and came back to her own senses. But it's believable enough on it's own I suppose.

Still, Kylo can still pull that card at some point when Rey and Finn are back together. Be interesting to see how Finn handles that information. There'll be a time skip so I really hope that Rey would've told Finn what happened by then (or if she'd been struggling to tell him for so long), only for Kylo to just barely beat her to the punch during a dire situation.

Ren Kylo likes this.
  12. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    "In the past few hours, I've figured out a little of what makes Finn tick. He's in love with his friend Rey."

Stupid Rose. Don't you know you can't have romantic feelings towards your friend ever?

[​IMG]

Jedi Jessy, Deerborne and JoJoPenelli like this.
  13. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    O RLY 0_o

*grabs popcorn*

14. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I was like "aww cute" so I kept reading and... Rose is basically calling Finn a selfish? "But not at the expense of so many other lives [...] It's like Finn hasn't noticed anything else" lol what
    [​IMG]

15. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    She be jealous and resentful.

:( I wish Rose had gotten more character development in the movie.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  16. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Which book is that yo?

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  17. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Yeah, mr selfish just got put into a coma after lowering the shields to starkiller base, watching han get murdered, protecting rey, facing down kylo ren and allowing the resistance to survive Finn.

18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Well...yeah...Rey has the force, the lightsaber, the millenium falcon AND a great guy like Finn handed to her on a silver platter. I mean do you have ANY idea how hard it is to find a good man these days? I mean why do you think Phasama is so ticked off...she'd been grooming Finn for YEARS only to have this Rebel hussie swoop in and steal him away.

19. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    It's actually funny now because she doesn't have the lightsaber (thanks to Kylo), and she only has the Force...thanks to Kylo. and the Falcon probably won't be hers exclusively since the gang's back together. That's why Rey and Finn being back together will hopefully fix a lot of issues I had previously. I'm hoping Rey and Finn can better build off of each other this time and both of them can matter equally to the plot and to each other.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  20. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016

New Forces of Destiny video with Rey and Finn. There is so much to love about this video honestly.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That may be my favorite episode so far other than Hera on Endor. They make such a great team.

Deerborne, vini and RandomGreyJ like this.
  22. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I really liked this episode
    [​IMG]

Ren Kylo, AhsokaSolo, vini and 2 others like this.
  23. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    @Jedi Jessy @anakinfansince1983 Honestly this episode was so good because it showed them both having sets of skills that bounce off of each other, without either of them being incompetent or making their situation worse. Finn was allowed to nail his shots, and Rey was allowed to excel at piloting. And...their relationship is just so pure and healthy I loved it.

I especially loved their last moment

"Alright, from now on, you fly."
    "And you shoot."

Just...my heart.

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I liked Rey's sideburn hair wiggling just before they jumped.

RandomGreyJ likes this.
  25. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    That might be something to play with in Episode 9...we have one scene early in the movie that reinforces the dynamic we saw in the Forces of destiny episode...but at the same time imply that the two have been...teaching one another....and in a later portion of the film they are forced to switch roles, Finn flying Rey shooting....and they succeed because they are a good team and have grown beyond where they started. For added Fun have Rey employ some knowledge about he internal workings of the First order to bypass an obstacle (something she learned from Finn) while Finn bypasses a force based obstacle (possible one of Luke's fallen students) by taking advantage of something Rey taught him about the Force and how people connect with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.