main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn & Rey in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ren Kylo, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Yeah let's move on guys. And discuss how Rey's gonna help Finn develop his Force powers for Episode IX haha

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    It'll be a slow reveal. Throughout Episode 9 Rey and Finn will be working together, preparing for the next major offensive...and things will honestly just seem to work out for Finn, like he's just on his 'A' game throughout the film and everyone else is moving in slow motion. He'll show intuition about people and situations that Rey will encourage him to trust and go with. This will culminate in a battle vs The Knights of Ren when Finn or Rey is put in a life threatening situation and Finn uses a direct application of the force to save the day. Bewildered, scare Finn will be unbalanced, unsure what to make of this development....but Rey will teach him, work him through this first rough transition...and by films end we'll see Finn dressed in Jedi-ish clothing as he and Rey fly off into the distance to begin a new Jedi Order...together.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Finn as a Jedi or not, I like the slow development/slow reveal buildup for their relationship.

4. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    If thats even where its going. Some of the "leaks" for episode 9 are so insane, that I honestly want them to be true. I'm talking, totally bonkers stuff.

EDIT: uh, anyone know how to spoiler tag comments?

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  5. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Click the insert '+' button and there is an option for inserting a spoiler tag.

But on topic, if Finn has yet another redundant or underwhelming arc in Episode IX, how is everyone going to feel about that? Are you going to try and hold out hope that he gets his "just due" in the expanded material or a standalone/spin-off film? I think I might just give it up at that point because I was told over and over to "wait for the next movie" after TFA and TLJ pretty much dampened all of my positive expectations going forward. I know people are hoping for a stormtrooper uprising but a lot of those same people were pretty sure that his infiltration of the First Order in TLJ would mean something personally for him and it turns out that it didn't. The bar was already set low for that and they didn't even clear that so needless to say my optimism for Finn is at an all-time low. Thoughts?

Blastaar likes this.
  6. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I love how genuinely caring the Finn/Rey relationship has been depicted.

I love the reunion scene at the end of TLJ, and how the camera focuses on Rey’s happy face then switch’s to Luke, his gaze unfocused, as if he has found peace now that Rey is safe (for the moment) and happy.

Finn makes her happy [face_love] I don’t think it’s meant to be an “exciting” or “sexy” or “fraught” relationship - I think it’s supposed to be sweet and loving and focused on genuine connection.

7. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Yeah I've seen someone point out that around Finn, Rey feels safe and happy (for the first time in TLJ). He's one of the few people she can ALLOW herself to be vulnerable around, without having to worry about being manipulated or betrayed or used. I think one of the lessons from TFA was that it's okay to be independent, but also knowing that there's someone who will still care for you and protect you is also perfectly fine as well. I can't wait to see them in IX.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  8. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Yeap.

And female characters can be tough and strong and independent but also flawed and vulnerable. Just...better not to be vulnerable in some really gender-stereotyped way.

I think Rey breaking down on Achoo was well-done. Or would have been had the Caretaker scene not been chopped out. *sigh*

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, having emotional and soft moments is fine; what is important is not to be stupid about who you trust. Some people deserve openness but around some—even most—it’s important to keep one’s guard up. Finn has demonstrated himself to be trustworthy.

10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Was exploring the depths of Youtube when I came across a series of videos making fun of various fandoms including Star Wars...one of the skits was having the FinnRey and KyloRey elements of the fandom having it out....and the person from the FinnRey side of things said (And this was set after the Last Jedi) "It's over, Reylos...we have the high ground!"...now the video was all in good fun...but I must admit...in the depths of my black heart, that I normally keep sealed away, there was a voice saying 'Yes we do!' and I must confess that if things go the way I think they will in Episode 9 (Considering the Hug at the end and Rey slamming the door in certain people's faces) I will be thinking of that phrase if what I've theorized comes to pass....and Hey I was right about Snoke being bumped off and Kylo Ren ascending to power so....we shall see.

11. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Yeah I'm hopeful that we'll get some more 1 on 1 scenes between them. There's so much to cover still. I honestly wouldn't mind some more moments between them in Poe comics (without taking too much focus off of Poe, since he is the main character in those). But maybe just small scenes between them in the comics would be okay

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  12. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I say give them their own comic set between Episode 8 and 9...have them going on a variety of adventures that eventually bring them to whatever their status is at the beginning of Episode 9.

RandomGreyJ likes this.
  13. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    I think a Clone Wars/Rebels style cartoon could benefit the gap between TLJ and EPIX, especially if we come back to the verse looking completely different from where we left it (like Rebuild 3.33, if anyone has seen that).

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  14. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Well, John did call it 'The War to end all wars' so there are going to be some changes....for everyone to make that true.

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Do you all think they'll give Finn and Rey a "will they or won't they" relationship in Ep. 9 and wouldn't that be kinda weird if they did that AND started Ep. 9 with a multi-year time jump? If they jumped ahead say three years that would suggest that for three plus years these two characters danced around their feelings for each other and still haven't resolved them. That could come across like a bad sitcom. I'd rather they don't do a "will they or won't they" scenario. Either keep them as friends or show them as a couple right out of the gate and don't make a big deal about it.

16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    In fandom terminology it's called an Anchored Ship (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnchoredShip) and between needing to rebuild the Rebellion, fighting the FO and freeing various star systems it really wouldn't be hard to do well. You could even set the final movie in the closing days of the war....with the FO crumbling from External and internal threats. With victory on the horizon both Rey and Finn are daring to hope...that there will be a life for them after the war....and the possibility they could share that life with someone they care for.

17. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Honestly, I feel like Finn/Rey is the only romantic pairing at this point in the trilogy that could feel natural and satisfying. Only they have had the right amount of interaction and attraction in their relationship to form a realistic basis for a romance. Any other pairing (whether it be Rey/Kylo, Rey/Poe, or Finn/Rose) would probably feel forced or rushed, though I suppose they might find some way to make it work.

18. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    I just want them to be a Double Force-Sensitive power house that takes down the First Order.

Why is that so wrong?

Jedi Merkurian and Ren Kylo like this.
  19. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    The issue is the lack of planning. The desire to attract new young directors/writers with fresh ideas has caused them to forgoe long term planning in favor or a more free form process. To be fair George Lucas made a lot of changes to his original trilogy and it wasn't as set instone as we like to believe.

Rian Johnson focused on what he liked, and now it's up to JJ to decide he he will bring this to a close...since he argued to get John Boyega the role I would like to believe he had an interesting arc planned for him that will now see the light of day...but there are NO guarantess for anyone at this point.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  20. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Tell me these hilarious leaks, Jedi Master.

21. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    Possible spoilers:

I saw something that involved a secret love child between rey and kylo. This sounds outstanding and I hope its true.

22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    That sounds fake. And awful.

23. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    It does...but it also sounds so ridiculous, that I want it to be true.

24. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    Same. I want vagina throne room meta to get validated.

25. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Did you actually read all that?

I scanned and didn’t quickly see the “vagina throne room” reference so I got bored lol. I’m going to assume because of something something Oedipus the throne room is a metaphor for lady parts and the battle is a metaphor for sexy time and Rey ends up with child? Or something?

Alright you guys, I’m sold. I’ve said from the beginning, if they want Reylo, they should go balls to the walls Reylo. Finn’s role can be to separate himself from that hot mess as best as possible. He is the only new character to have a genuinely heroic moment in TLJ, even if Rose botched it for him.

Ryanpaulstewart and Blastaar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.