main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn's Heritage

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Aaron Baldwin, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floatlikegas

floatlikegas Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2010
    Not that many black people in star wars
    Obviously his parents will be important so yeah speculate about which few POCs can be Finn's parents

2. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

That's not what she said. That line was a general thing that refers to the emotion that lies within his eyes, not his family history of running. She told Rey dear child I see your eyes too. That doesn't mean she knows her parents, that just mean she's heard the story and she can see that Rey's eye say denial.

3. AdamDemamp

Apr 8, 2015

No that's not obvious. Who were Han's parents? Who were Obi-Wan's parents? Who were Chewbacca's parents? The Skywalker/Solo line is continued with Kylo and likely Rey. Finn is Finn. Poe is poe. Finn's parents were probably a part of the Empire just like Poe's were part of the Rebelion.

4. floatlikegas

floatlikegas Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2010
    If Finn's parents were apart of the Empire and by extension the first order he wouldn't have been kidnapped as a baby and indoctrinated into that system

5. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    You know I thought it might mean that too, but there is a chance she has actually seen a family member(ancestor) of Finn as well, we can't rule that out 100%. And she has looked into there eyes previously, she seems to study the eyes of people she meets.

6. AdamDemamp

Apr 8, 2015

She got on the table and examined his eyes with disapproval, not with familiarity, she said she "see(s) the eyes of a man, who wants to run". She also says "you see the same eyes in different people" not that eyes are hereditary. There's just not any indication Finn has important family besides the fact that there's like 3 black guys in the galaxy.

7. AdamDemamp

Apr 8, 2015

Taken from a family that I never knew- like everyone else. There's no indication he was special. Notice how Kylo, who was special, was placed at the top.

The big take away though is that Jesse Plemmons- a white blonde guy was considered for the same role. If that were the case we'd be having the same argument about if Finn was Luke's son. Of course Finn is related to the other black people in the galaxy though, that's why Lando was the nephew of Mace *eyeroll*.

8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I don't think he is going to be related to anybody from previous movies, however, before filming started I wanted him to be a Calrissian. I was hoping the next generation of Solos, Skywalkers, and Calrissians were working together with a new character like Poe.

9. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    3 professional writers with Academy Award nominations decided it would be better if everyone were not related to the previous main characters because it would bring a wind of freshness to the saga.....

Brennan Marshall and Satipo like this.
  10. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003

Here is the theory as posted on Reddit
    Direct contextual evidence:
    • When he first meets Rey he says verbatim "Hello, what have we here?" The exact same line used by Lando to flirt with the lovely Leia in Cloud City, Bespin.
    • When Chewbacca is choking Finn, after he gets injured on Takodana, he sounds exactly like Lando after he released the Wookiee following his betrayal urging "that he is trying to help him".
    • He has dark skin. A very poor argument but there are not many black humans in the SW universe.
    • Self-preservation and pseudo-cowardice. He understands the strength of the First Order, similar to how Lando viewed the Empire, and wants to take those he cares about (Rey) and keep them from the reaches of the First Order.
    I feel this might be the debate equal to that which takes the spot between AOTC and ROTS is Palps a clone of Sidious, and since I was so wrong on that one I "could" be wrong again, but we could be right too.
    :)

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The same 3 that admitted they lacked the skill to include Luke Skywalker in the sequel to RotJ?

Han and Chewie weren't fresh, and they made up Poe's backstory to tie him to the OT3 during RotJ, so how is that any fresher than using movie established relationships?

Zikri likes this.
  12. Darth Early

Darth Early Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 23, 2015
    Just WRONG!

Playing a simple race card is kind of...but anyway!

Mace Windu didn't have a romantic relationship as he was a Jedi Master and the follower of the Jedi code! So NO.

13. KWGerald

KWGerald Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Forgive any stereotyping here, but this is the coolest big-pimpin pic of who should be Finn's dad. This guy is the ultimate "G".
    [​IMG]

Obi-Wan Catnobi, Zikri and T-R- like this.
  14. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    They admitted that it did not work for the story they wanted to tell......had they started the ST with a Jedi Order in place.....while Leia and Han are the King and Queen of the New Republic......and the threat was not yet apparent.......it would have been easy to introduce Luke.....

With the storyline they wrote.....Luke was not needed...yet.....

It could have been worse........I'm pretty sure that the rumours of an early draft where Luke was killed in the first 10 mins in the movie were true.....

Regarding Poe's backstory.....who cares.....it will never be told in the movies......so while watching the movie.....Poe Dameron is a completely new character......and not linked to the past of characters that we have seen in the OT.

In fact....when I watched ROTJ last week....I thought it was kinda cool to know that the Dameron's might be there...somewhere....

15. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    3? When was JJ Abrams nominated for an academy award for writing?

T-R- likes this.
  16. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Finn random. Although it would be cool if he did have a connection to Mace Windu.

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

17. Obi Whan Kenobi

Obi Whan Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    Good thread but irrelevant.

Boyega simply OUT AUDITIONED other actors. The character Finn WAS NOT written for a black actor nor was it written for a white actor. He's not a descendant of Mace or Lando. The guy was spotted for his work auditioned and won the part.

Sith Soup, Finn-2187 and EviL_eLF like this.
  18. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I think we will never know his heritage, and I don't think he's force sensitive.

T-R- likes this.
  19. Rey Of Light

Rey Of Light Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    He's the product of his parents, FN-27 and FN-81.

Finn-2187 and Zikri like this.
  20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I like Finn as a character. I'm sure I'll like his backstory. I wonder how his backstory might figure into his arc. I have a feeling while Rey battles Ben and Luke and Snoke confront, that Finn might end up beating up Captain Phasma.

Phasma has a terrific design and a fantastic name with mythological implications. What a dud in TFA. I hope there's much more to her character in VIII.

T-R- likes this.
  21. wian

wian Jedi Knight

Nov 11, 2012
    Lando for sure

22. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I don´t think (nor need) him to be related to any previous characters. And, after having seen the movie twice and read the novel, I don´t think he is FS either. The stuff that got me thinking he was before the movie premiered was him deflecting blaster shots with the saber, or ending up with Maz, who seemed to be a Jedi.

But Maz role was changed and instead he remained in Takodana (according to JJ, she was no longer need for the story), it is clearly said she never was a Jedi (and that she has run the pub for a thousand years). Finn no longer deflects blaster bolts, and in the novel it is said Kylo is driven by something Finn cannot even sense.

So I believe Finn hardcore fans wanted him to be something that he won´t end up being.

23. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope he has "muggle" parents like Hermoine (obviously in a scenario where he is FS), and if he is doesn't connect with the force, I hope he is Mace's grandson. not every jedi is part of a dynasty. In fact, the only Dynasty so far is the Skywalkers, with 3 generations.

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  24. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    Just to clarify:

-Han Solo was a great character and he had no known ancestors
    -Poe Dameron was a great character and he had no known ancestors
    -So why does it matter so much that Finn must have known ancestors?
    -But of course many core characters had ancestors too, i.e. Luke, Leia, Kylo Ren

I see that, thankfully, people have been defending the point of view that I share.
    Of course, have respect for the people that think MW is Finn's ancestor. They just want someone to relate to. Anyway, this is opinion.[/] We can only wait for what happens next.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  25. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    Mace Windu was killed before he could have time to *cough* have a son!
    Like the woman playing Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, John Boyega is judged for his race. But that doesn't mean his parentage has to be like himself. For all we know, he could be Qui-Gon Jinn's grand-nephew, once removed! Anything's possible in Star Wars.

Shaak Ti likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.