main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn's Lineage / Parentage / Name

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ACDC, Jan 1, 2016.

?

Is Finn a Kenobi?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. ACDC

ACDC Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2004
    Who do you think he belongs too?

Who was he before becoming FN-2187?

There's a thread on this discussion for Rey, but not Finn, ergo, I've created this one; though I personally think he's a Kenobi; baffling I know, but bare with me ~

Not many people realise that one of the very first pieces of information we received on the casting of Force Awakens came from The Hollywood Reporter about the casting of actress Maisie Richardson-Sellers who was being considered for a special role, tough it changed due to the fact she was on Hosnian Prime where the Starkiller Base struck, however, here were the publications, (with the casting of Finn included)

The Hollywood Reporter, January 11, 2014
    "The latest bit to surface this week is that Abrams and Lucasfilm are now searching for a twentysomething female actress who is either of mixed race or black. The rumor is that Obi-Wan Kenobi had a daughter or granddaughter."

Variety, March 12, 2014
    "Ed Speleers, John Boyega, Jesse Plemons and theater actors Matthew James Thomas, and Ray Fisher are among the men J.J. Abrams is eyeing for the lead role."

The Hollywood Reporter, April 9, 2014
    "One of the roles yet to be filled is that of a young black or mixed-race woman who may be a descendant of Jedi Knight Ben Kenobi."

Variety, April 29, 2014
    "Cast announced"

We know Jedi are forbidden from bearing relationships, but they can have sex; and many people are familiar with Obi-Wan during the Clones Wars; and I do believe many things could have occurred on Tatoonie during the 19 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

Now, I'm rather confident that the reason that Richardson-Sellers wasn't cast was due to Boyega getting the lead role, thus changing the gender of Obi-Wan's descendant; though sticking with the mixed race/black element which would support several references to Finn's Force-sensitivity within the Force Awakens, as such:

1. Only two characters in this movie share mysterious childhoods. One is Rey and other is Finn, both being taken away from birth.
    2. At the beginning of The Force Awakens, after Ren had captured Poe and was marching back to the ship, he came to an abrupt stop, and in a frenzy of rushing Stormtroopers he stared right at Finn. Sensing something. He says NOTHING to the Phasma about the insubordination. Just takes a mental note, even researching Finn's number prior to meeting Phasma. What's more is that Finn sensed Kylo before he even landed; and Ben didn't sense Han twice, yet senses Finn?
    3. Snoke mentions the Awakening that he and Ren have felt. This is almost immediately after the Jakku/Finn incident. Before we meet Rey, and before she knows anything about the Force.
    4. Finn is able to break First Order conditioning, a conditioning from birth; and has shown more Force-sensitivity suggestion than even Leia in A New Hope.
    5. How does Ben that the person he's looking at is FN 2187 at the end?
    6. Finn tossing the training droid aside on the Millennium Falcon.
    7. Rey tries to convince Finn to train with her and Luke, but Finn keeps declining.
    8. Finn hears the screams on Hosnian Prime, as Ben did with Alderaan.

Finn being a descendant of Obi-Wan would additionally make his various encounters with Ben Solo all the more meaningful, not to mention lay even more a claim to how important it is for an Anthology film to be based on Obi-Wan during the events between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. How poetic would it be for the descendants of Anakin and Obi-Wan mirroring the same relationship they had during the Clone Wars? Given Maz's insistence that Finn should fight with the Lightsaber; don't be surprised of the announcement that Obi-Wan's Lightsaber wasn't destroyed on the Death Star.

Not to mention it too would give Obi-Wan Kenobi a reason to appear via Force Ghost in future films; as why would he appear to anyone else apart from Luke? And what if Luke dies? Does that mean the end of Obi-Wan? I think not.

The Maz Kanata scene is an extremely important scene; even her crawling cross the table (which wasn't to be done for emotional effect); it was fore-shadowing! Maz told him that she sees someone in his eyes and recognises them. I believe it could be Obi-Wan. Why? Because she says he's running from something and that's what Obi Wan was doing when he was protecting Luke on Tatoonie after Order 66, right? He was running and attempting to blend in; in tern we know that the eyes monologue in the promo trailer was Maz speaking to Finn (given the discussion of eyes), "I have lived long enough to see the same eyes in different people. I see your eyes... I know your eyes!"

The big give a way was when during the Maz scene where Finn pulled a Luke and said "Come with me", to Rey; to which in Return of the Jedi, Vader states "Obi-wan once thought like you do".

What do you think?

All comments are welcomed.

rdhight and IamZam like this.
  2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I hope Finn is Just Finn.

3. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    For thousands of years Jedi Knights were celibate. Why do we have this sudden need for every force sensitive character to be related to a legacy character? Not only am I hoping that Finn isn't related to anybody we know; I'm hoping that the same holds true to Rey. I'm hoping she's a tremendously powerful force user that Luke discovered and trained as a child but we all know she'll just be another Skywalker. Hopefully Finn is spared a similar fate and isn't tied down to an existing Star Wars family line.

CloneWarBrent likes this.
  4. CCK1979

CCK1979 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    IIRC, Jedi were not celibate. They should not have attachments, but that isn't the same. I would argue that it actually would make sense for Obi-Wan (and other remaining Jedi) to have children, to repopulate the universe with force users. If he wants to stay unattached, he could give the child to surrogate parents.

Not that I'm thinking that Finn is related to Obi-Wan.

I would like for Luke to have a child. It doesn't have to be Rey or Finn or anyone else we have seen, but I would like him to have an heir.

5. ACDC

ACDC Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2004
    Indeedy; as George Lucas said they weren't forbidden from having sex ~

Think of it this way, if Snoke reveals that Kylo Ren is Ben Solo straight off the bat, then you clearly know that there's going to be a huge WTF moment if we still don't know the lineage of either Finn and Rey even at the end of The Force Awakens; Finn specifically for this thread, and given the J.J quote above.

6. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Are you really taking rumours from early 2014 into consideration here?

Finn is not a Kenobi. Would bet my left testicle on it.

Allana_Rey likes this.
  7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The film has already adequately dealt with this. He never had any other name, he's been a storm trooper since birth, and he's a brave random. Any convoluted story to make him a Kenobi would be too bizarre for a set of films that can only cope with so many revelations.

8. ACDC

ACDC Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2004
    We need to take into account everything, even rumors; or else discussion thread's would be rather dull, wouldn't they?

9. ACDC

ACDC Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2004

He wasn't a storm trooper from birth, he was taken from birth; specifically if that was true that J.J wouldn't have put forth the quote about it being intentional that neither Finn or Rey's surnames are given in the film.

10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Have you watched the film? The reason Finn's surname isn't given is because he doesn't have one.

11. ACDC

ACDC Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2004
    He had a family, and they had a name; he was taken from birth by the First Order; and J.J acknowledged that Finn does have a last name.

12. Thom Skywalker

Thom Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 1, 2014

Finn didn't have a surname because he didn't have a name at all... Finn is a nickname!!
    JJ would have to explain all of this if he had to tell us why didn't they gave Finn a surname before releasing the movie.

The child's family name is probably irrelevant. His family must have got killed, the same way the FO did at the village on Jakku.

CloneWarBrent likes this.
  13. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    But Finn's parents were never made into such a big mystery in TFA unlike Rey's parents. I doubt he's related and definitelx not to Kenobi. There's a higher chance of Rey being a Kenobi, although I'm not a fan of that theory either.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

14. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Why and even how would he be a kenobi. Obi wan was dead at least 10 years before he was born

15. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    They think he might be his grandson, not his son. But I'm still not believing it.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

16. Thom Skywalker

Dec 1, 2014
    So far those are the theories raised:

- Snoke is Hux
    - Snoke is Leia
    - Phasma is Boba's clone
    - Kylo is the sister of a Windu's clone
    - Finn is Kenobi's grandson

Hey guys... You are NOT using the Force....

17. redavnikana

redavnikana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2004
    Finn's number 2187 was Leia's cell number on death star and is used for a reason, maybe Leia's DNA was extracted in that cell with the interrogation droid was later used in part to create Finn. And FN, could stand for from Naboo, Leia's mother was queen of Naboo. So when we hear Luke say my father, my sister, has it, maybe he's talking to a brother or sister not a daughter or son, but I think brother, maybe both?

This would be the reason for a stormtrooper to feel the light, to disobey.

Rey is the central character but Finn has major implications for the ending of the trilogy.

Finn is Luke and Leia's brother, BUT he has never been trained in the force, Rey did have some training although very little, it's still stronger in her now. Finn like Luke when he was young showed no signs of the force.

18. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    As Syndrome would say "Lame, Lame, Lame!!"

19. ACDC

ACDC Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2004
    But there's not been any hints of Finn's lineage, only the remark through Maz's reaction as recognition:

FINN
    There is no fight against the First
    Order! Not one we can win. Look
    around. There's no chance we haven't
    been recognized already. I bet you
    the First Order is on their way right--

Finn stops, seeing Maz adjusting her goggles, scrutinizing
    him -- her eyes get HUGE.

FINN (CONT'D)
    What's this? What are you doing?

Maz adjusts the goggles again. Her eyes get impossibly
    BIGGER. She grunts recognition. She hoists herself on the
    tabletop, knocking over food and plates, crawling towards
    Finn.

20. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Playing devil's advocate, if he was a Kenobi that would explain why he has such a strong compulsion to protect Rey safe, esp if she turns out to be Luke's daughter.

ACDC likes this.
  21. BlueDmighty

BlueDmighty Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    It would be cool.
    But, because I'm a little tired of "power" nepotism in these types of stories,
    I hope he will be unrelated to any force users from the past.
    He could be his own Jedi.

We should stop looking at the Force, as something that is passed down.

22. Ticonderouga

Ticonderouga Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    While the SW geek in me sees the coolness of the idea, I think Finn's story works best if his parentage is left rather vague in the upcoming films. Part of the reason I feel this way is because Finn doesn't really seem all that concerned about his life before becoming a stormtrooper. As opposed to Rey, who cares very much about finding her family and learning why they abandoned her on Jakku. Making Finn a Kenobi sounds like fanfic, interesting fanfic maybe but still fanfic.

23. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Good post. Good information.

Finn's lineage really has nothing to do with why I like the character. But I've heard there used to be theories that Obi-Wan was a clone, slave, or the like, and that "Obi-Wan" came from "OB1." Gonna laugh if this theory turns out to be exactly how his descendant got his name.

24. Thom Skywalker

Dec 1, 2014

Maz also said: "I've lived long enough to see the same eyes in different people".

So, recognition may have another meaning..... The context here could be that she had recognised the fear from Finn...

25. ACDC

ACDC Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2004

She didn't note any fear from Finn whatsoever; and the fact Maz reacted in such an inquisitive way to Finn is something that shouldn't be passed off lightly, especially since she has the Force, but it's the manner at how she approached Finn ~