main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn's Name/Lineage

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by otherworlds, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Ah...made a Mistake Fionn Mac Cumhail also has this:

afrojedi likes this.
  2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Liath Luachra is often called 'The Grey One' ('Liath' means Grey in Irish); and Rey is rumoured to have a sort of 'grey Jedi' destiny. ;)

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TITLE CHANGE TO SOMETHING THAT ISN'T A GRAMMATICAL EYESORE.

4. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    A thought occurs to me...if Finn's story is ultimatly about a man choosing and building a destiny/life for himself after having one stolen from him...Finn might end up being a Surname...and he chooses (or earns) a first name in TLJ or episode 9. If that case (perhaps as cover ID?) people call him 'Sam' or 'Samuel' at some point in the film and he eventualy combines it with the name given in TFA to forge his new Identity: Sam Finn....or the full Version Samuel Finnegan.

5. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Did I miss something? Or are you using Sam as a placeholder for what could be his real name? I'd imagine like Kira, Sam was discarded as a former/concept name for Finn. If he does discover his name at some point, I'd imagine Finn would still be a nickname or codename like Mr Clark was to John Kelly in Clancy novels.

6. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Honestly, I'm just theorizing that 'Sam' wasn't discarded so much as moved, becoming a name he learns or gains as the story goes on. As for Rey...considering how little we know of her family it's entirely possible 'Rey' is her nickname and we eventually learn her first name is in fact "Kira". In Aliens everyone called the little girl "Newt" but her name was 'Rebecca'

afrojedi likes this.
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's Star Wars not POTC.

8. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Rey is likely a respelling of 'Raeh', the pet form of Rachel. This was of course the placeholder name for her character pre-production. Seeing as Sam was the pre-production name for Finn, it's not inconceivable that the name hasn't been entirely discarded. :)

9. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Early on the place holder names were Kira & Sam for our heroes, but since Kira can mean 'Beam of light' I am not surprised it eventually became 'Rey'. Sam could still come into play since 'Finn' is more of a nickname derived from his numerical identification. It's interesting that neither of our heroes has a surname, which could suggest that their hidden lineage is very important...or that the point is that the past has no hold on them. That said adoption is a thing, and after everything Finn did it might be interesting to have him adopted into House Organa...even if it was just something Leia did to give him access to some resources to do as he wants....making his choice to fight the FO resonate more since he was given an honorable way out.

10. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Finn Skywalker is going to be the name he ends up with. I'm calling it. You heard it hear first!!

oncafar likes this.
  11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    If Rey can get all obsessive about where she comes from, surely Finn's birthplace and family matter just as much.
    His life matters too.

It's a bit like everyone feeling sorry for Luke because Obi dies, but losing an entire planet is not such a big deal.

Jedi Jessy, afrojedi and BlurryUFOs like this.
  12. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Rey is tied into some hot button issues like how they are treating the old caste, who will bear the Skywalker legacy going forward and other such subjects. Lot of fans feel they have a stake in one or more of those issues thus the focus on her legacy as a way to prove their theory is the correct one. At present Finn is not linked, in the minds of the fans, to those topics and thus, in this forum at least, he's not focused on as much.

13. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    That's very true. Rey's lineage could lead to larger issues and we are all keyed in on that. It won't come as a surprise that her background will mean something, most just want to know which direction RJ is going in. That makes me wonder if Finn's background could have the affect of surprise. Where Rey's will most likely evoke delight or satisfaction, Finn's could provide shock or astonishment.

14. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Honestly I think people are looking in the wrong direction when it comes to these characters. They are so focused on who they are related to...that the question of what THEY will do has gotten lost. Finn and Rey may have NO connection to anyone from the past...but what they will do in the next couple of movies could very well resonate and create change throughout the galaxy for the foreseeable future.

15. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree with that as well. I would be fine with them being completely random, in fact when I thought of shock w.r.t. Finn, I wasn't thinking him being a descendant of a previous character as much from where he was abducted. As for Rey, I don't think it's too much of a stretch since JJ hinted that we may have already met Rey's parents and Daisy teased that from here point of view, the truth is obvious. I don't remember the exact quote for either and I'm certain there some disclaiming wiggle room built into both.

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think the Finn lineage will be told in this trilogy. For me the main hint was that the holo showed him as a child (The scene with the "reconditioning")
    While Rey will turn out to be something special I think the story will evolve that way that either he gets access to a FO database and finds out by himself or Phasma will tell him.
    IMO his parents got killed. I think this will be a tragic moment - Rey finds out something special, Finn the big disappointment.

17. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    This may happen. And he may find out Phasma did the deed, hence the rumors are him being pissed at her and giving her the Skywalker special.

18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    LOL.
    I even could imagine that someone ordered a massacre on Finns parents (or the planet they were living)
    Maybe Phasma turns out to be the one who protected baby Finn from being killed by putting him into the FO program. Maybe she had mercy with him
    Would be an interesting twist

19. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Phasma is Finn's biological mother.

I'm calling it.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  20. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Many of us thought that possibility going into TFA.

Now.....not so much.

21. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    It was meant as a JOKE.

thejeditraitor and oncafar like this.
  22. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    There's nothing funny about Finn's parentage.

23. LaChiffre

LaChiffre Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2017
    Well, Finn = Find (in Norwegian) for some reason.. if u check The Force Awakens script writers you will know why.

If it comes to parentage Finn is obviously son of Leia na Lando Calrissian, what makes him a step brother of Ben Solo.

24. MingLives

MingLives Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015

Until she removes her helmet and we realize that the alleged Gwendoline Christie playing her has been a massive deception,,.

oncafar likes this.
  25. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Yeah, how would that work, if it's not a joke and Gwendoline Christie is Finn's mother?

But I digress. There's no point, IMHO, to find the back-story (in the movie) for every single character.

Chewie, Han, Lando don't have any details on their back-story (in the movies). They're just there. I don't spend time wondering, gee, who is Han's mother?, who was his father?, where did he grow up?, who was his first kiss?, etc.

Sometimes less is more.

Gigoran Monk likes this.