main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn's Name/Lineage

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by otherworlds, Aug 10, 2016.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    And now we're finally getting a movie about that, 40 years later.

Do you think we'll get a movie about Finn's origins in 40 years?

2. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    You mean an Anthology film?, maybe, if he becomes as popular as Han. Chewie doesn't have a movie announced yet.

Is Finn Chewie or Han?

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    This is a problem in young adult fiction and blockbuster films. "Showing backstory" is conflated with character development. That way, you don't have to write difficult character scenes into the narrative. You can cover it all in a flashback, and let the rest be action and broad character beats. It's a lazy shorthand.

Darth Nave likes this.
  4. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    You know, I hesitate to get in on this action because I lean toward Finn not getting a backs story more than his origin story in TFA, but I kinda like the son-of-Rae-Sloane theory. With the end of Aftermath, I can't help but be curious about what happened to her, how she was ultimately replaced by Snoke. If she is Snoke's predecessor, I think that does give her some importance in the story of Snoke's rise to power in the FO. Perhaps she was usurped and as punishment, her son was placed in the ranks of anonymous conscripted ST recruits? I dunno, I doubt it but it could be interesting.

Ryanpaulstewart likes this.
  5. Velcro Face

Velcro Face Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015
    I think Finn's character trajectory is 100% forward. I don't think he wants to look back and so we won't get any more back story for him. Definitely not in the films and probably not in any other media either, I just can't see the point in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Hmmm, I think a central theme that Rey, Finn and Kylo all deal with is "Where did I come from and what does that mean?"

I think Finn deserves a bit of that too. It sounds like they are examining his past as a Stormtrooper in this movie a bit. Which is good. Added depth for his character.

7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    That would make the TFA novel scene of Finn thinking he liked the sound of the name "Rey" very ironic.

(Rae and Rey sound the exact same)

8. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

I'm not a hard-core SW fan but I'm a lot more versed than your average movie goer and don't have a clue who is Rae-Sloane.

If there's a scene where it comes out that Finn is the son of Rae I will bet good money that over half the theater would not get anything out of it.

9. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    You could say the same for Rey if in fact her parents are characters we've never seen before.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Well it wouldn't be explained in that way. They wouldn't overtly reference a book. It would be more like Finn is the son of the former Grand Admiral of the FO who Snoke took out. But like I said, I don't think it would happen because neither Hux nor Snoke nor Kylo acted like FN-2187 had some secret awesome lineage.

Ryanpaulstewart and cerealbox like this.
  11. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    the fact that sloane was so instrumental in the building of the FO is all that's necessary for the audience. LF wouldn't just plop a character from the EU into the movies without any connect. look at saw gerrera, heck look at all of RO, i went with people who'd only seen TFA and they loved it because the most involved elements we're contained in the story

12. Panaka is Finn's Great-Grandfather
    [​IMG]

Wildcatbarry and Darth Smurf like this.
  13. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] #EverybodyIsLukesKid

Troopa212, AhsokaSolo, N7Jedi and 2 others like this.
  14. Little Ray Sunshine

Little Ray Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

May 2, 2016
    Speaking of "kid", is that not the Soloian nickname Finn inherited from Luke? And where are the dianoga/rathtar leg grab gifs?

Satipo and oncafar like this.
  15. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

Ok great. So someone called Sloane who I assume is now dead, was part of the FO and sired a kid who was conditioned as a Stormtrooper/janitor.

What's the payoff or angle?, is he going to then seek revenge on Snoke to avenge his parents whom he never knew or do not remember?

16. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    I suspect this will not make it into the story during this trilogy, but it may fit into a future trilogy or another Anthology film. I would love to get the information, and I could see where this may have the potential to being a provocative story.

17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Finn's backstory has already been explained;

Like all of them, I was taken from a family I'll never know.

If there was more to it I'm guessing that his 'parents' would have been revealed in the casting announcements.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  18. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    What if his parents are dead though? That goes for Rey as well.

19. LaChiffre

LaChiffre Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2017
    Finn`s real name is Anakin, he is son of Leia and Lando Calrissian

20. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    we don't know if she's dead. I don't actually think sloane is his mother but to say that it would be inconsequential when she's already of consequence is odd. as to how it would fit into the story... the bad guy is his mom, i'm sure they could make something of that.

and please don't call Finn a janitor

We don't know how finn ended up in the FO. If there wasn't more to it, he wouldn't have bothered to mention his family, or imply that he was forcibly taken. He could have been created or have enlisted, but they decided to create this mystery around the stormtrooper program which means it will probably come into play later, which pablo implied I think. There's a chance that it won't tie into finn directly but then what's the point?

I don't think we'll see his family but who they are or something they did could be what's important. Or maybe not. I just want to know his name, and I think we will learn it because he can't just be Finn forever

21. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    By having him forcibly recruited and programmed from an early age then it removes a certain amount of blame for his actions. Although he is on the bad guy's side nothing is down to him - he didn't enlist, he (presumably) has not killed before and when required to do so he doesn't. He is not a bad guy through choice and when he is ordered to do something bad he rejects it. That's his whole story, that's the entire reason for the First Order's 'recruitment process' - to absolve Finn of any blame.

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Let's revive this thread and make it as Grand and infamous as Rey's parentage thread.

5 pages down, 2143 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![face_devil]

jaqen, BlurryUFOs and Jedi Jessy like this.
  23. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    What do you call someone who works in "sanitation"?

24. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i really hope in either viii or ix there's something about where finn came from

25. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I saw some Finn Skywalker theories, I'm not 100% into this but i will left it to who think it can happen