main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn's Name/Lineage

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by otherworlds, Aug 10, 2016.

1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    you always seen tons of Rey speculation about her having FO origins when you already have a character with FO origins. Them on a somewhat parallel journey of self-discovery is even more reason why they should be different as possible, not similar.

If only we had more info on the FO.

You know they said Finn's family. What if Finn in either TLJ or IX meets a sibling?
    A sibling would also mirror Paige-Rose.

jaqen and Master_Lok like this.
  2. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    That would actually be cool. I'd like for Finn to at least find out where he came from. I wonder if he'll express interest in finding out in TLJ. Maybe once Rey knows who her family is it will inspire Finn to seek out what happened to his.

starocean90 likes this.
  3. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    Maybe Slip was his brother?

4. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Oh there's a Finn lineage thread? Cool.

I'm in the Finn Random camp. ;)

5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Finn, like Poe, isn't part of the Force aspect of the ST's narrative.
    Poe is a close confidante of General Leia and an ace pilot in the Resistance.
    Finn is a Stormtrooper who deserts the First Order after his conscience rings the alarm bells on his first call of duty.
    Is there really any need to more?

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    There really doesn't. Finn being Force sensitive would just feel tacked on and shoehorned in. If that was what you were referring to.

7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    No it was merely my thoughts on the idea of Finn's lineage. As in that it has completely no relevance to who he is when we first meet him. We know the basics and that's all we need.

8. RyanjohnN

RyanjohnN Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 10, 2017
    Finn being force sensitive doesn't mean it would be "tacked on". That's kinda like saying Rey's force powers and lineage will be stupid if she's not (insert camp here). Because we don't know what is happening and what could happen in the story. Heck, Finn could even end up being a Skywalker, which is unlikely and sounds crazy, but it all depends on where the story goes and how it's executed.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

jaqen and Troopa212 like this.
  9. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I like the idea of him being Zare Leonis' son.

Perhaps Zare settled down somewhere with a wife and had Finn, but was then visited by Brendol Hux, who kidnapped Finn to raise as a stormtrooper as an act of revenge.

10. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    the significance of his fam will lie in how the FO gets their children. and i know i've said this so many times but i am incredibly interested in how they do it because there's no simple answer that makes great sense.

why was finn's family and all the others victim to the FO? was it the planet they were on? their social status? connections? friends? enemies?

were they actually orphans? like the first jakku recruits

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

jaqen, cerealbox and starocean90 like this.
  11. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Maybe Finn's story of not knowing who his family is (which I think boyega confirmed we won't find out) will be used to contrast Rey discovering hers. Each will have to find their way regardless of the cards they're dealt in the family department.

Finn's characterization being wrapped up in being separated from his family is yet another indication that he really is our co-protagonist. SW protagonists are always that. Poe, Kylo, Rose (presumably she wasn't separated from her family because she's with her sister), they're the secondary characters to these two and their journey. Finn is like Rey, Jyn, Luke and Anakin here, even like Obi since he arguably was a co-protagonist (though his separation from his family was never made an issue of).

12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    If I were to guess I would say given the Huxes (both father and son) interest in the Clone army and the Jedi way of doing things. Seems likely that they take those children as babies from their families and raise them to serve Mother FO. So their families and loyalties will lie to the FO, add some brainwashing and you get the perfect soldiers. Not the OT ones who were mostly just conscripts and volunteers, which made them less effective than training children from birth to fight.

BlurryUFOs likes this.
  13. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's a story about the Force, without that it would just be Battle beyond the Stars. It's a story about Dark and Light, Kylo and Rey, Antagonist and Protagonist. Everybody else are just supporting cast.

Dark Horse likes this.
  14. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Well we can agree to disagree. I don't think that's all it is. Speaking for myself, I'm more interested in the Resistance plot, and I'm loving every bit of promotion we are getting for it. It seems to me that it is very important. If everything was all about the force stuff, the Resistance stuff wouldn't need to be there and Finn wouldn't need/have his own hero's journey.

15. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Take Crazy's remarks with a grain of salt. He has always downplayed Finn's significance. Granted at times he may end up right but not because of any inside info he has acquired.

Anyway Kylo is Agent Smith with more development and a less slow speaking pattern.
    Finn is Morpheus or Trinity with an actual hero's journey and his own storyline.

Agent Smith's actions had greater repercussions overall in the Matrix trilogy because he was the primary antagonist creating the most conflict for the story's primary hero. But that didn't vault Agent Smith over the other characters in terms of who was supporting and who was a lead. Same goes for this new SW trilogy. People were perceiving Kylo to be more of a co-lead to Rey going into TFA but in the end, just as all the publicity and interviews had suggested, Finn was the co-lead considering his minutes far outpaced those of Kylo's in TFA. Even as someone like myself who has issues with Finn's portrayal, I could never deny that he was a true co-lead and the closest thing this current trilogy has for a male lead. Unfortunately there are those all over the internet who still can't bear that truth.

It looks like more of the same in TLJ in terms of time dispersal. But in this go around Finn and Rey will be separate. Rey will have a storyline in which she is the focus and Finn will be part of another storyline in which the focus is on him. One may not be interested in this story for Finn, especially if it doesn't contain that special ingredient of magical force abilities. Nonetheless it is Finn's storyline, one that continues his path. Unless the film runs three hours Kylo won't likely have a separate storyline of his own for most of the movie. His will have to be a sort of subplot in the larger Rey storyline, perfectly fitting for a true supporting character. Gonna be a shame when all those fans who are only interested in force-sensitive related stuff find themselves having to check out mentally when watching the 40% to 50% scenes of TLJ devoted to Resistance/Finn storylines. They have my sympathies.

The main reason why some of us argued for the importance of Finn being force sensitive in the first place was because of how the SW fanbase is so geared towards focusing only on characters who can use the force. So many people were being blatantly disingenuous when claiming it wouldn't matter to Finn's popularity or importance if he didn't have those capabilities. As you can see SW fans are still using it to determine which characters are pivotal.

After the prequels there was some revisionism that the OT was really about Luke and Darth Vader. That was nonsense. There's a reason why Luke, Han and Leia are referred to as the Big Three and Vader is excluded. Vader's screentime is far more limited than Han and Leia's in the first trilogy and we get to know less about him as a character than those three. Vader is essentially the boogeyman to run from or confront. Kylo may get some better characterization but his main role is to provide much needed antagonism.

Adept, AhsokaSolo, Troopa212 and 2 others like this.
  16. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    It's a story about the Resistance vs the First Order.

Rey's mission is to convince Luke to join the Resistance. The blurb on the back of Kylo's toy box says he now "refocuses his efforts on destroying the Resistance".

Despite there being two storylines, this is one movie with one overarching conflict.

17. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    I thought Rey was firmly established as the main protagonist like Luke so I'm surprised some people think Rey and Finn are both the main protagonists? I never got that impression and I haven't heard that anywhere else. I thought it was clear from how the story's developing and how Rey's featured front and center on all the posters and other marketing that she's the main protagonist. While I think Finn is one of the main characters, I don't think he and Rey are parallel equal protagonists. I don't think there are two parallel stories. It's one story with different connected subplots, much like the OT.

Dark Horse and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  18. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016

I mean, JJ Abrams called John Boyega the new star of Star Wars, The Force Awakens clearly established both Rey and Finn as equally important to the story, Finn's actions are the ones in TFA that drive the actual narrative, we have the Entertainment Weekly article, we have multiple pre-TFA articles referring to him as one of the leads, he and Rey got a co-featurette on the TFA DVD (it wasn't just the Rey show there), Finn was one of the first characters developed for the film....

Troopa212, AhsokaSolo, jaqen and 3 others like this.
  19. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

Star Wars Magazine called Finn a protagonist and that TFA had two. Finn had a lot of screen time and started his hero's journey. Leia or Han has less screen time in ANH than Finn in TFA

Troopa212, jaqen, AhsokaSolo and 2 others like this.
  20. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    I wasn't really referring to pre-TFA marketing. That marketing was very secretive and kept a lot of stuff about Rey's importance under wraps. I don't know how Finn being one of the first characters developed indicates he and Rey are co-protagonists and regardless of what JJ may have said about Boyega being the new star of Star Wars, TFA seemed to indicate Rey was the main star. The posters and the pre-TLJ marketing also seem to be indicating that Rey is the main protagonist. She might even be a Skywalker. If people want to disagree, that's fine. If I'm wrong, that's fine too, but I just don't see it.

Dark Horse likes this.
  21. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    No one use Deuteragonist, AFAIK. He's the second lead if you all prefer.

i just don't get why acknowledging Finn's importance ruffle feathers. No one called him The Protagonist or The Main lead. No one erases Rey or Kylo, since his function is totally diferent, by calling him a co-protagonist.

Anyway, I wonder if Finn will just share memories of his family and life before being taken away. Without telling us his family name. At least in 8.

22. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014
    Finn was not the protagonist of TFA, but he was most definitely the secondary lead of the movie.
    J.J. even confirmed it in this interview with GMA (around 4mins 25 sec):

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  23. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    There was a reason why Ridley and Boyega were always the two people in the forefront promoting TFA like crazy (convention appearances, joint appearances at toy stores at Christmas the year before, joint magazine cover stories, joint interviews on shows like GMA for the main push, joint trips out to Disney headquarters to meet the brass). There's a reason why JJ said this new trilogy was about a boy and a girl (mirroring the original OT slogan) and, no, that "boy" wasn't Kylo. There was a reason Ridley and Boyega were symbiotically the first two primary actors on location/ on set for the first week of shooting of TFA. There was a reason why both were declared the new faces of Star Wars during production. There was a reason why their names were listed first in the trades when the movie was in both pre-production and shooting stages and there was a reason why the two of them were more heavily featured in the Western-targeted trailers than any of the other characters. The two of them were the new leads, even though Rey was the central protagonist. Kinda like "Lethal Weapon".

According to the link below Finn got 30 minutes of screentime (which I assume stands for the actual time a character appears on screen---not the amount of time his scenes last) to Rey's 42. That's almost 10 minutes more than Han got as third place finisher regarding screen time; its over 10 minutes more than 4th play Kylo. Want more? Those 30 minutes, if this data is to be trusted, is also more than Han got in ANY SW movie, more than Leia ever got in a SW film too. It is also only about six minutes less than Jyn Erso got as lead character of Rogue One. Mere supporting characters have't been getting the time Finn got in TFA.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls031379663/

Now post-release of TFA, after the dust had cleared, pretty much all of the attention went Rey's way. She distanced herself from Finn pretty easily in terms of fans' fascination and who the studio put the focus on. During the leadup to TFA at least the promotion of the two had been somewhat close. That changed after TFA became a huge success and it didn't hurt that she was easily, in many people's opinions, the better character. Its become more about Rey. Just look at the first poster which doesn't include Finn at all. Just look at the teaser in which Finn barely shows up. Luke has replaced Finn so far as the advertising is concern. Yet despite all of that, as was commonly known for awhile now, Finn has a major storyline of his own in TLJ, second only to Rey's of course. And the more info we get the more expansive his storyline seems to be. There are huge things going on with him this time around. Its not the typical material one gives a character that can be easily pigeonholed as "supporting". What Poe's storyline is shaping up to be is something more typical for a supporting character. Or think of Falcon in Captain America : Winter Soldier. Clear supporting part, no distinctly separate plot. Finn in TFL looks to be getting something more along the lines of what Han or Leia got in Empire Strikes Back. Luke may have been the true lead but you can't exactly characterize Han and Leia's adventure as those typically handed over to supporting characters. Also let's not ignore that it still is Ridley and Boyega being the lone constants in promoting this film so far at both Celebration and D23. They always end up on stage together first before other actors join in (although in case of Celebration Ridley got on stage before Boyega did). As one writer so well put it recently, this is the first SW trilogy with TWO characters on heroes' journeys.

I have my theories why this upsets certain people but this is the wrong place to address it.

24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I can't believe people are still trying to under play Finn's importance.

He is a secondary protagonist. Quite a few films do have them. See Spock, particularly in the newer Star Trek films. Mad Max in Fury Road.

Or, you know, Padme in TPM and Obi Wan in AOTC.

25. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    They are not.

That's what they are saying.

Doom_Buggy likes this.