main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Finn's Role

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by That Real Hope, Nov 6, 2015.

1. That Real Hope

That Real Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 14, 2015
    Just to remind...please no spoilers.

But what do you think his role will be for this film and beyond?

Jedi? Force user? Rebel fighter? Possibly being turned to the dark side?

Sent from my E2105 using Tapatalk

2. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    I feel like he'll end up being a rebel fighter. On a deeper level I see him as the "audience surrogate", with whom we'll identify with the most. Other characters may be solid in what they believe, but I don't think Finn will know exactly where he stands. The same way we won't. Meaning another thing I expect from this film is a more blurred line between the dark side and the light. I'd find that very interesting, just me personally.

Dewback likes this.
  3. That Real Hope

Sep 14, 2015
    Hmm...So don't think the jedi is in him over the three films

4. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    ...err, I think he is the Jedi character. He is the equivalent of Luke in the Original Trilogy.

in the trailer, he is clearly shown to wield a lightsaber, the blue-ish kind associated with Luke.

5. That Real Hope

Sep 14, 2015
    That's what it appears to be to me. Not sure why all the promo we have had from him would be misdirecting from this fact.

6. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Because JJ "no it's not Khan" Abrams has a hand in the marketing. It seems probable but I'm not taking anything for granted.

[​IMG]

Sarge and Dewback like this.
  7. That Real Hope

Sep 14, 2015
    The Han thing?

You realise Han never used the saber about to fight someone ever.

And yeah, the Star Trek Khan thing was a huge flop.

8. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    I agree but I also think Rey fits the bill too. The pair of them are our audience surrogates. I suspect the underlying theme of the movie is that greatness can find anyone regardless of their lot in life. As the third trailer told us, "The Force, it's calling to you... just let it in."

Sarge likes this.
  9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Jedi !!!! :)

That Real Hope likes this.
  10. That Real Hope

Sep 14, 2015
    I actually think that it would be interesting if they are both jedi.

One a scavenger who becomes one.

And a ruthless stormtrooper who then has an epiphany and awakens to his true path of being a Jedi...which would be a dramatic turn from what he once was

11. That Real Hope

Sep 14, 2015
    That's what I'm banking on hombre

B99 likes this.
  12. Raz Zaphon

Apr 9, 2000
    Yes, I am aware that Han never fought with a lightsaber. He certainly would have if he were put in a situation where for whatever reason it was the only weapon available for him to use. The argument that we've never seen a non-force user fight with a lightsaber before so we never will is not strong. My point being it shouldn't be regarded as a guaranteed "fact" until December 17th.

Perhaps a better argument that he's a force user is hinted at in the title. The awakening of the force (whatever that happens to be) acts as a trigger to Finn's "epiphany as he suddenly becomes attuned to the force."

Or maybe he simply has a Han Solo like crisis of conscience and it's unrelated tot he awakening.

Rey demonstrates more Jedi-like reflexes in the trailer. As far as I'm concerned it's most likely they will both be force users.

Dewback likes this.
  13. That Real Hope

Sep 14, 2015
    Of course anyone can pick up a weapon and use it.

But I think it would go against Star Wars law that Lucas set if someone who is not one with the force can go around using a lightsaber.

It ought to only be a weapon used by Jedi or force users.

14. Dewback

Jul 18, 1998
    Grievous and Han weren't force sensitive. Neither was Pre Visla or the thieves who stole Ahsoka's.

15. Raz Zaphon

Apr 9, 2000

Oh yeah, why didn't I think of that? Well there we go.

I wasn't really feeling that "law set by Lucas" idea for predicting what can or can't happen in the ST but fighting with a lightsaber by a non-Force user was directly established by Lucas.

Dewback likes this.
  16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Also, for all we know he just gets his behind kicked immediately. I mean, we haven't gotten to see anything from the lightsaber duel(s) - thankfully.

17. That Real Hope

Sep 14, 2015
    Maybe it's just perception.

When I saw Grievous with the lightsabers it just looked silly to me.

Maybe I'm too much of a puritan but having none force users wield a lightsaber in battle is a big no-no for me

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In the original novelization, when Ben gave Luke his father's saber he said something like, "They were once used widely; still are in certain galactic quadrants. Anyone can use a blaster, but to use a lightsaber well was a mark of someone extraordinary."

Raz Zaphon likes this.
  19. That Real Hope

Sep 14, 2015
    Precisely.

20. Raz Zaphon

Apr 9, 2000
    I kind of agree. Maybe Grievous was meant to be a bit silly but that's certainly not what I'd want here.

What I want here is a situation where
    Finn as a complete novice, Force-sensitive or no, is thrown into a situation where his only option is to grab this old weapon with a combination of determination and terror and fight for his life against a violent foe who's clearly spent a lot of focus preparing for this kind of fight.

Dewback and Sarge like this.
  21. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

I hope this doesn't happen.
    If it does then Finn will bite the dust (die). Even Luke with all his Force potential had to train really hard before he gained any sort of proficiency to be able to fight with a LS. Even when he was in Bespin he was using a blaster. Luke didn't use the LS until he met with Vader and even then he looks at his blaster like he's not sure if he should use the blaster or the saber. If Finn fights someone trained on LS fighting without any training and survives it would be really cheap. Unless this is the explanation on why Rey (Rei) is crying in the trailer...

22. Dewback

Jul 18, 1998
    Would you feel that way if someone intervenes to save him?

23. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

Ok, this is mostly speculation but because it could be constructed as spoiler
    I thought about it, wouldn't that be a great way to introduce Luke into TFA?, I guess it could also be Leia or maybe Rei. Just the One on one scenario would be difficult. Because it will either a) take away from the skill needed to wield a LS or b) take away from the awesomeness of the main bad guy

Dewback likes this.
  24. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I think Finn will become a Jedi and that's only a concern to me because of the whole "The Force is strong in my family" thing. Is Finn supposed to be the Luke successor? (I'm going to make the wild assumption that Finn is not part of Luke's family.:D) One would think that Luke's blood relation would be the "lead Jedi" in this series, yet we only see Finn with the lightsaber. Now it could be all misdirection, but I'm sure there will be the typical furor if Finn is found to be "inept" as a Jedi and the character is being mismarketed as a means of subterfuge.

That Real Hope likes this.
  25. That Real Hope

Sep 14, 2015
    I despise that word...misdirection